PDA

View Full Version : Where is the brake fluid going and Mikuni Carb Mystery

sweetip2000
02-11-2015, 11:43 PM
So Im riding and no rear brakes. Bleed lines and fill reservoir. Brakes worked for a few days now there is no brake fluid in reservoir. I felt around the lines caliper everywhere and looked at ground where its parked. No signs of any brake fluid. I poured some brake fluid into reservoir and it looks like it just disappeared .....
Before I go throwing $$ at parts of which I dont have right now anyway,,,, wondering,,,, how do you know if the master cylinder needs a rebuild and what do you think the problem is ?

Next the Mikuni carb.... so I find out there is no choke, its an enrichment thingy, just has a lever that says choke on it attaches to a plunger... there is a brass nut that hold it in place... I am afraid I am gonna strip it...its tight... any need to remove and inspect that ? I know there is one air hole and a jet on bottom of carb but could not get that pin to slide out easy like the kehein. After I remove the pin theres a flat brass flap that comes off and I can get to the jet for the (choke) enrichment,,,, right now my leg is acting like a choke and it couldnt happen at a better time.... a 350X in cold weather. When i mean cold I mean like -20 below some nights. For now I have to put choke on kick about 3 times and I can just about stand on that kicker, it didnt do that in the summer... was very easy to kick.... then when I turn choke off after about 10 kicks it putts. When the choke is off its much easier to kick,
It will start up only with choke off. Runs good WOT mid and idles good. Its just the starting problem... any input will be appreciated,

oscarmayer
02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
you can leave the choke.

brakes, check the calipers. could be leaking only when you use the brakes. also if you had a lot of air itn he lines it could be filling up the system liek it should be.

take some paer towels. wrap one around every brake connection and each caliper. pump the brakes a bunch of times. see where fliuld is showing on papertowels.

good luck.

sweetip2000
02-13-2015, 02:00 AM
thanks oscar, i will try another fill and bleed and check for leaks