PDA

View Full Version : 85R Pipe and Muffler Cleanout?

Onetrackmind
02-10-2015, 04:49 PM
First off... my apologies if this has already been covered to death. I did a forum search and didn't find much on the subject.

I am about to rebuild the carb and rear caliper/master cylinder on my 85R (that I have only owned for about a month) and while I am at it, I would like to go ahead and clean out the exhaust. It has metric S__T TON of carbon build up in it which I'm positive is robbing power from this beast.

I don't own or have access to an acetylene torch to burn it out. Is there another way to clean these two parts out on my own?

Thanks in advance!

Samjp22
02-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Go to a wash bay or if you have access to a pressure washer, spray some degreaser or something like that in there, then go to town inside there, thats about all i can think of

82 250r
02-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Go to walmart and buy a propane torch. slower than acetylene but works.

Onetrackmind
02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Ok, now a propane torch I DO have. I'm sure it will take some time, but at least I have the tool. Just heat up the exterior, start at one end and work my way down? I guess I could then take it to the car wash to clean out what is left...

Thanks guys.

ebaccm26
02-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Just throw it in the fire, if there is a finish you want to protect just hang it over top. But then follow it up with a pressure washer like already said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onetrackmind
02-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Does the same technique go for the muffler as well?

Flossyb20
02-10-2015, 11:59 PM
no need for the muffler...just get new packing

El Camexican
02-11-2015, 01:24 AM
Saw a video the other day of a guy who frays the end of a 2' long wire cable (1/4"OD?) and sticks it in a hand drill chuck and puts it inside the pipe and lets er rip. Gets a bunch of crud out. Wear your helmet and goggles at the very least!

onformula1
02-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Saw a video the other day of a guy who frays the end of a 2' long wire cable (1/4"OD?) and sticks it in a hand drill chuck and puts it inside the pipe and lets er rip. Gets a bunch of crud out. Wear your helmet and goggles at the very least!

Wow, that is sooo old school I forgot about it! Thank You.
BTW- it works great...Link?

deathman53
02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
a friend of mine poured in diesel fuel(half gallon, maybe) and a bunch of sheet metal screws. Plugged up the ends and shook it around for several minutes and poured out was was inside(most of the screws came out with it), put in super clean de-greaser, plugged up end, shook around and drained. All the screws came out and it was very clean inside. If its not a chrome plated pipe, you can heat it up with MAPP gas torch to get it 100% cleaned out. On my dirtbike, I poured in super clean, shook around and poured it out......wow........talk about black nastly stuff that came out of that pipe.

Onetrackmind
02-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Great ideas guys, thanks. I just read on a Honda forum about plugging up one end and spraying several cans of Easy-Off oven cleaner in there then dumping some rocks or nuts (not from a tree) in and shaking it around. Might be worth a try...

onformula1
02-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Great ideas guys, thanks. I just read on a Honda forum about plugging up one end and spraying several cans of Easy-Off oven cleaner in there then dumping some rocks or nuts (not from a tree) in and shaking it around. Might be worth a try...

If your silencer is aluminium don't use oven cleaner on it, use carb cleaner & wire wheel the perforated core.

If you have a thin aftermarket pipe watch putting anything in it a shaking hard or you will have dings from the inside out.