PDA

View Full Version : Interesting paper work that came with the Klem Research National Kit, circa. 1986

phantomtracer
02-06-2015, 10:44 PM
As I embark on trying to gather the parts for a nice 86 KXT build I was looking for my old service manuals and happen to find this.
In 86 I had ordered the National Kit and this paper work came with it.
Kinda of interesting, I wish I could order that same kit for the prices listed today!

onformula1
02-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Thank you very, very much!

Still have that kit?

phantomtracer
02-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Haha, I wish.
I sold that bike to a guy on this forum.

bkm
02-07-2015, 02:00 AM
I read in one of the old madazine scans that you could walk up to a Klemm sponsored racer after a race and buy his Klemm National kit right off his bike, no questions asked.

phantomtracer
02-07-2015, 02:35 AM
I can remember after installing the kit how surprised I was on how wide the powerband was.
It was very easy to ride fast.
No hard hits just a nice steady rush al the way to redline.
In contrast my brother had a Paul turner kit on an 86 250r and it was not as fast.
We would swap back and forth to compare and the kxt was faster and handled better.
They both had comparable modifications, swingarms, axles and engine kits.

onformula1
02-07-2015, 03:11 AM
I read in one of the old madazine scans that you could walk up to a Klemm sponsored racer after a race and buy his Klemm National kit right off his bike, no questions asked.

Mr. Klemm is the best! Ever read this?

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/292

Not about a trike, but a great old school read for a man ahead of his time.

onformula1
02-07-2015, 03:12 AM

That would not surprise me, he is the real deal!

bkm
02-07-2015, 04:24 AM

Awesome read. I love reading Harry's articles any time I can.

onformula1
02-07-2015, 04:45 AM
Awesome read. I love reading Harry's articles any time I can.

He IS a full blown stud!

He makes my top 10 2 stroke tuners of all time!

THANX!

Marty
02-07-2015, 12:57 PM
By any chance would you happen to know what date that letter was printed? I wonder if that was typed and printed before Harry Klemm sold his company. I also purchased a Klemm TRX 250R and called Harry on authentication of trx and turns out that trx i bought was not done by Harry. It was done or modified by owner who bought Klemm research. But it has all Klemm documentation but sad part it was not done by Harry.
Phantomtracer you were a lucky owner to have owned a machine let alone a Tecate hand modified by Harry Klemm, and they are rare find!!

yaegerb
02-07-2015, 01:27 PM

What an excellent article. Harry Klemm is probably one of the most humble men (who didn't need to be) I have ever read about. Top 3 builder IMO

Marty
02-07-2015, 05:16 PM
yes very humble and did not mind me calling about 250R, he is a good man and very informative

Billy Golightly
02-07-2015, 10:17 PM
I find it very interesting how it mentions the airleak scenario...I have long time been a proponent of making airtight motors to the most ridiculous extent possible. I have one super tight OEM 250R engine that holds 10psi overnight with a bone stock cylinder, head, and piston on it. And with just simple bolt ons (Carb, reeds, ignition, pipe) I ran pretty even with more than a few 310s.

phantomtracer
02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
I purchased the kit on 5/19/86
I still have the receipt.
I would hope the new owners would have purchased all the port specifications for the engines that Harry worked on.
I am going to call them to see if I can get the same port job done.

onformula1
02-08-2015, 12:38 AM
I purchased the kit on 5/19/86
I still have the receipt.
I would hope the new owners would have purchased all the port specifications for the engines that Harry worked on.
I am going to call them to see if I can get the same port job done.

Can't you just have Harry do it?

http://www.klemmvintage.com/

That is his shop.

atc007
02-08-2015, 08:12 AM

Great read!..I can attest 1st hand . These Tecate Klemm engines are a "wall" of power. I have no other words to describe it. He takes the ludicrous hard hit. And puts it at dead idle,to what feels like 25000 rpm. NO joke. ZERO weak spots, no jerks or hits. Just a solid freaking wall of freight train horsepower and torque. I was yet again,a very humbled man, to learn that Marty,Mike and the boys in red honestly were out gunned in 85 86. But rest assured. They were :))