PDA

View Full Version : What is that in my motor?

Husky250
02-06-2015, 06:34 PM
My poor DX has had a horribly slipping clutch since I got it in '03 or so. A couple years ago I put a clutch in it but that didn't help any. She doesn't see much use (outside of winter) since I have been training for either the Boston Marathon or Ironman since about 2007 or so. Well I finally got the wife to allow me to buy a new centrifugal off a timberwolf. ('bout time, we actually bought the dx for her). So yesterday I pull off the side case in prep of putting the clutch in today. I pull the side case and the shifter arm doesn't look right. SO I pull off the larger part and determine there is a large chunk missing... HMMMM where the heck is the rest of it? I fish around in there the best I can, and the first thing I come up with is a rock.... inside my motor. Really? How did my motor get a rock in it? Well there is a spot of JB weld on it from the previous owner. I assume The rock got in there when they owned it. Finally I find the smaller part (see picture) of the shift arm. Last winter the thing refused to shift out of 1st gear when I put it on the rack for the summer. When I pulled it down to ride it a month ago it shifted fine (other than that clutch slip). SO for the last 12 years there has been a rock floating around in the bottom end and I can only assume that for the last 7 or 8 months the broken part of the arm was also floating around in the bottom end. I found some shifter/clutch parts on fleabay for $16 and they are on order. I came in the house and looked at the daughter and said, "Today today today.... I consider myself myself myself... the luckiest man man man... On the face of the Earth Earth Earth!" That my friends is the Honest to God's Truth!

fabiodriven
02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Haha, nice job with the stadium echo!

muthey
02-06-2015, 09:09 PM
that part right there is the same piece and is for the clutch adjustment, I know its in with the shift linkage but it does adjust the driven clutches, and when adjusting it be sure to turn the adjusting screw counter clockwise to tighten them up.

onformula1
02-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Lucky...Not fun, but at least you have a cool bottle opener with a story.

Husky250
02-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tip muthey. Gonna be nice to ride the thing with a working clutch for the first time in 12 years.

MTS
02-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Yikes!...did you end up with a OE Yamaha clutch? or is there someone else building them? Just pulled mine apart tonight...Right on the wear limit and i could feel it starting to slip under a hard acceleration....Them things are not cheap!!

Husky250
02-10-2015, 10:43 PM
I used the entire centrifugal clutch from an early 90's timberwolf. It works like a charm and was $50.