PDA

View Full Version : 1986 200X modificaations?

phantomtracer
01-31-2015, 04:48 PM
I was thinking of getting an 86 200X and trying to build it up like an old time racer. Can you still buy hi performance parts like the ones Curtis Sparks used?

Just wondering if I should go this route or get a 84 250R.
Can a 200X hang with the 250R or are they not even close.

Xfile
01-31-2015, 05:26 PM
To be honest with you, if you want to do some serious mods to a 200X, stick with 83-85 models....there is much more still available in the aftermarket. There are some guys here that have fast 86/87 builds, but the parts are not cheap or easy to come by. The simplest, and easiest mods for a 86/87X, IMO, are the basics...pipe, air filter, progressive rate fork springs, offset rims with a lower profile rear tire, gearing changes. These things are easy to get/do and wont cost you a lot of $$. If you want to keep up to a 250R...stock vs. stock, a 200X is not going to do it. All things being equal (rider skill, weight, conditions, ect.....) It will take a pretty stout 200X to hang with an R. The best way to go fast, to me anyway, is to start with something that's fast in stock form and go from there (250R, tecate, tri-z, 350X...).

Mickey Dunlap
01-31-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm coming out with a whole new line of engine parts like we raced back in the day but ones that run on pump gas still. The older 200x was a better motor but we (Powroll and me) didn't real do a lot of work/ R&D on them but there is still go power to be gained. I'm going to go back in and build a better cam, that's where all the power is. You are looking at about $425 for piston kit 11.5:1, cam, valve springs and clutch springs.

phantomtracer
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Mickey,

What year X would you recommend I purchase?
ETA on the engine kit?

Dirtcrasher
01-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Ask anyone how my 86 ran at MIK6's ride last year. It's a 200X on steroids. Mike told me he thought it was a 350X. The Beadles were there (Eric and Tari), Joe and Mickey Barrett, Christina and Matt; The thing screamed.

32MM FCR carb, 12:1 ported head/race gas, full race cam with a Supertrapp system and a pod filter. That trike sat for years and no keihin would dial in regardless of diameter. Hands down that 32MM FCR and a Yamaha needle changed all that. She's out of the dust. No kicker issues in 87, The fastest valve adjustment system I've seen. No stupid chain adjustment, I think the stock handling and suspension are better. And I like the looks of an 86/87 200X

3 Flaws -

1) Performance parts, but I'm sure I could pay Mickey to stroke a crank for me and I imagine he could try that FCR carb that wasn't available to him until recently years and port a head for it. I have the race motor installed in the one I'm speaking about, 2 crate 86 200X motors, 1 built 10.5:1 that was easier to tune and 7 spare runners.

2) Gotta use the 87 kicker and shaft and cover or the 86 shaft will snap and use the decompression cable (another plus).

3) Gearshift plate. I'm no engineer but I have seen numerous broken ones and I think they were over hardened, I'd like to anneal one a bit and beat on it.

The people who have rode it or seen me on it can back this all up but I got hurt so damn bad 17 breaks in my ribs and a collar bone needing surgery on my 350RX when the front brake mustn't have been bled and I hit Shane (still owe him a damn fender but he won't let me buy him one) :lol: glad he's ok. So any time I try to compete I'm winded in a half lap. It's been 14 months since surgery and it's finally feeling good enough to hit the weights TF15 the year?? Maybe but Mickey's kits are gonna be a huge difference!!

I bought that ported head on EBAY 10 years ago, I messaged the seller and the guy had a 28mm Mikuni as well and the cam (I only won the head) and said "MICKEY DUNLAP ported that head" and said to use the 28mm Mikuni ( I have 2 29yo conversion cables NOS for this mod in the bag from Big Als or someone).

Honestly though, you can get all your 83 to 85 performance parts and use these guys tricks and build them fast and mean. Just telling you what mine does.

If anyone needs the complete 83 Honda replacement gearshift kits (2 ratchet gears and springs) part # 06280-965-000, I have 2. And they won't be cheap as they are pretty rare and your other option is split your case (which terrifies some people) and back cut the gears which is iffy unless it's on my or another's Milling machine with a rotary table is a chance taken.......

Pics when I had the Keihin on there and it couldn't be jetted like I wanted and I got a bit shorter Durablue after these shots as well.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/smashedtruck027_zps25e0d0f4.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/Dirtcrasher/media/smashedtruck027_zps25e0d0f4.jpg.html)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/smashedtruck026_zps71dd1a00.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/Dirtcrasher/media/smashedtruck026_zps71dd1a00.jpg.html)

HUGE THANKS to JASON HALL who turned me on to what he felt would run best on that motor and it does!!