PDA

View Full Version : '85 Big Red 250ES Timing Chain Advice

Muggle
01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
I have a 1985 big red 250, runs perfectly at the moment, bought it off my uncle. He and I have both been driving it quite a lot for the past 7 or 8 years he's owned it, the timing chain has never been done. It's not noisy or anything, I just want to get it done as preventative maintenance. When I buy the parts, what am I to buy? Just the chain and the 2 gears? Do I need a gasket kit? Do I need to replace the tensioner? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Jmoozy27
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
If it isn't showing symptoms of being worn than I would definitely not change anything internal on those motors. That's not preventive maintenance. That is fixing something that isn't broke. Now if you were rebuilding the top end now thats another story. DID cam chain and right side cover gasket is all that you would need. And some Hondabond for reassembling the cam cover.

atc007
01-30-2015, 04:09 PM
If it's whisper quiet. Leave it alone. It won't break for lack on maintenance. Once it starts talking to you. Simply replace it. The tensioners nor guides aren't usually an item that needs replaced on these either. Set your valve lash to .003-.004 on both. And run her.

Muggle
01-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Alright, I guess I'll hold off on doing it. So if it starts making noise, I just need the chain, cover gasket and some hondabond?