PDA

View Full Version : Road registered Tri-Z

greenhuman
01-23-2015, 08:58 PM
I am not sure if I read this here years ago.
The was a Tri-Z 250 in England that was road registered and it had a rear end of a little English van. The guy had shortened the axles and converted it to open chain drive for the advantages of a diff on the road.
I am seriously considering trying to road register a trike over here and want to do a conversion like this.
Can anyone post a link or remember the story?

jakep53
01-24-2015, 06:34 AM
I am not sure if I read this here years ago.
The was a Tri-Z 250 in England that was road registered and it had a rear end of a little English van. The guy had shortened the axles and converted it to open chain drive for the advantages of a diff on the road.
I am seriously considering trying to road register a trike over here and want to do a conversion like this.
Can anyone post a link or remember the story?

That would be really cool! does it have to have a diff to get it registered here? cause it would be alot of work to only then find out you still cant?

250rmanfmf
01-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Is that the one that was Yamaha Blue in color? It looked sweet.

3 Wheel Drive
01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
This guy has a few videos on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yEi5eWzGMxk

Tas Wheeler
01-24-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a few times considered doing the same thing and with the road reg's down here in Tassie being reasonably relaxed compared to other states in regards to modifications it did appear to be possible.

About the only part that may have caused an issue, and I'm not sure if it was a local or national reg from memory, but there is a clause containing a math formula regarding the stability of the trike. Basically and obviously the wider your rear track and the longer the length compared to centre of gravity/height the better result of the formula. I guess depending on which trike you were planning to use this may be able to be overcome by wider axel, extended swinger etc etc.

In regards to the diff and in answer to Jakep53 you can not register a vehicle with a fixed rear diff. My brain fart on this issue would be to use the diff from a Kawasaki KLT200 A1 model. This may be a cheaper option compared to the van diff and slightly more available here in Aus, would already give you the chain drive, it has a drum brake that with a little lathe work could be converted to disk, could be flipped "upside down" depending on what trike you were hoping to register to put the drive sprocket on the correct side and would give you the option to lock the diff if you wanted to take the trike off road/into the dunes.

As far as diff width is concerned I'm sure a little thought could over come this and I'm almost 99.9% sure the hubs are the same as the Tecate, but don't hold me to that.
The KLT diff housing is also pretty solid so the fitting of some brackets to enable it to be fitted to a swinger should also be possible.

Any ways maybe a possible option. keep us updated on your outcomes.

Have a great Australia Day:beer:beer

Tas Wheeler
01-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Also the KLT hubs bolt pattern are 4X4 so any wheels that would fit most older British small cars that had a 4" pcd like mini moke etc would bolt right and in turn enable you to use ADR approved tires.

Cheers.