PDA

View Full Version : Did factory prime metal parts before painting?

phantomtracer
01-13-2015, 02:40 AM
just what the title says?
If I restore a 250r I would like to copy the factory paint as close as possible. Did Honda prime the frame, swingarm and other chassis parts?
If not what paint did they use to get the durability?

Thanks.

onformula1
01-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Go to a automotive paint shop, pick your color and they will tell you what type & color of primmer to use.

Bring a sample to paint match if you can, things in the paint world have changed a lot since the 80's.

Try to find a shop that does a high volume & has been around forever, get a older guy to help (No offence to anyone) but some of these guys have been doing it for years and get paid well in their "semi-retirement" and are real pro's.

I have a guy that if you bring in a sample he can flip to a page in a sample book by memory! truly unreal, also if they tell you something follow it to the "T".

Get them on team "You".

Oh yeah- share your results on this forum, Please.

El Camexican
01-13-2015, 08:04 AM
things in the paint world have changed a lot since the 80's. Amen to that!

The factories used the cheapest possible methods of painting your frame while still making it look good enough to sell. I've never seen primer under paint when removing or scratching it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Your frame also started live off made of cold rolled steel, so if you want exactly the same look you shouldn't blast it with sand. Dry ice, or walnut shells (I could be dating myself here) are what would likely take off all the paint and still leave a smooth finish and those oh so beautiful factory welds and un-cleaned spatter:rolleyes:

The best way I can think of to properly protect the frame and still leave a smooth finish that would not fill in any welds, or serial numbers is e-coat (see link)
http://www.metokote.com/coating-processes/electrocoating/e-coat-process-specifics.aspx#.VLUHa5VOVMs

This stuff is what comes on an aftermarket car fender. Super thin, gets in everywhere and can take 500 hours in a salt bath. What it can't do is take UV rays for extended periods, so you have to top coat it. I don't think you have to sand, or prep it in any way, but it might be ok to rub it with some scotch bright or thinner (you'd need to ask). As far as you top coat, like onformula1 said, things have changed, you'll need to go find out what's new. hate painting frames. I always end up with overspray and it chips too easily for my liking, unless you use something like a military grade primer and bake the paint and that gets pricy. I'm a powder coat lover, but that's not what you're after.

Good luck!

onformula1
01-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Like El Camexican said

Think about powder coating there are many colors available and if done correctly you can hit it with a ball ping hammer!

If you are thinking about a non-stock look I love nickel plating, check out a picture of a 1993ish ATK motorcycle, looks trick!

phantomtracer
01-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Thanks, i like the sound of the Metokote system.
the reason I asked is I also never noticed primer under a factory paint job, but I was always under the impression you had to use primer, so I was wondering if they used a special primer or a tinted primer.
Thanks for the info.

86125m
01-14-2015, 12:10 PM
My cousin who works in a body shop told me that in the eighties that they painted in a one coat system the paint would have primer and the color in one gun or can. So I would think this is why you cannot see primer under the paint. Now I do know Rustoleam sells a paint which has primer and paint in one spray can so you might try that paint. But anyhow I would use a two coat setup even if it wasn't how it was done factory, because the primer fills in a lot of imperfection in the metal leaving you with a much better finished product.

BOB MARLIN
01-14-2015, 12:29 PM
All of my trikes that had the factory paint on them when I got them, you can see the primer under the red paint in the area that your boots rub the paint off by the foot pegs. Its grey.

honda200x1987
01-14-2015, 02:36 PM
My 1987 200X has factory gray primer , the reason I know is because some paint is wore off the frame next to the foot pegs. So yes but maybe honda coated the frames different depending on the year.

El Camexican
01-15-2015, 05:08 AM
All of my trikes that had the factory paint on them when I got them, you can see the primer under the red paint in the area that your boots rub the paint off by the foot pegs. Its grey.

On a red frame that would make sense. Red & yellow paints, etc. need a white or light grey primer as they are fairly transparent. Without the primer you see right through to the metal, but not black.

El Camexican
01-15-2015, 05:16 AM
My cousin who works in a body shop told me that in the eighties that they painted in a one coat system the paint would have primer and the color in one gun or can. So I would think this is why you cannot see primer under the paint. Now I do know Rustoleam sells a paint which has primer and paint in one spray can so you might try that paint. But anyhow I would use a two coat setup even if it wasn't how it was done factory, because the primer fills in a lot of imperfection in the metal leaving you with a much better finished product.

I've always know that to be called primerless paint. My experience with it has been purely for industrial and structural items. I guess with time and money you could get it to look decent, but from what I've see done with it it's not nice enough for a frame.

The one we used would self combust when the air filter were removed and stacked. Almost lost the shop the first time. We thought one of the guys was welding near the booth. Turned out that just stacking two paper filters and leaving them for about 10 hours would result in a fire. I have no doubt a rag would do the same, so watch it if you are ever working with paint.