PDA

View Full Version : Can i get a review of the Trike nerf bars?

oscarmayer
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
For those that have them, can some of you chime in on a review? i am setting my trike up for CX racing style with some mx in it. how stable is the nerfs and is it strong enough to take a root or rock and still hold?

I am trying to decide on purchasing a set or buying some parts and bending the tubing myself. please let me know your thoughts.
it is for my 350x project.

tri again
01-13-2015, 03:18 PM
oooh boy.
I just flashed on some sort of frame or case crack. with a good hit.
Thinking some sacrificial tubing or mount that would bend before it cranks on something structural.

edit: a fusable link of sorts. breakaway mount hooked to a kill switch?

as far as your question, I have no real info.

3wheelrider
01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
WOW!- no replies???
I assume youre referring to the PRM nerfs?- I really cant speak for the 350X PRM nerfs but the PRM ATC250R do flex at the front bar (netting area) with not much weight applied. The heel guard section flexes slightly too. I have not jumped with mine on my R, but but wouldnt be surprised to see it cracking eventually either. The way the nerfs front mounting tab attatches to the frame seems like a bad design on the R-IMO- The way the tab is pre-bent encourages further bending -it seems to me?:207787...The rear mounting locations on the FRAME arent the strongest of areas on the frame either! I could see problems later with that too. As long as your weight is on the pegs -it seems fine.lol
350X ones attatch like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-350X-ATC-NERF-BARS-1985-1986-350X-ATC-NERF-BAR-SET-ATC-350X-NERFS-/301447737278?nma=true&si=zpvWXVIOeHqUB9WiVqCwfskTyQQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 -seems a little less likely to flex?-but IDK?

oscarmayer
01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
thanks a ton! That's that is what I was thinking when I saw the prm designs. They look good for putting around, but will probably fail under performance demands. I am going to work with XFR to get a custom set made. They helped me make a custom set for me son's old custom ATV and they will be helping with the new stuff. I will get them to help with the 350X designs I'm doing. The front bar will be a solid bar not broken and not weird cut metal shapes to attach wiht. It will be thicker and have a slight upward on the front and leading edges of the sides for better clearance. Much like their pro 2 nerfs for ATVs. the foot peg area will be 3/8" alloy plate where it bolts to the frame like the stocks to ensure no flexibility (same as factory stuff)

I'll post photos of it when I finally get them, but they will be functional and strong and could take a hit w/o destroying them. Yes alloy will bend before the frame, but I want them to not bend just by riding hard like the prm looks like they will. I was originally going to get a prm set but after I saw the split, I said forget it. Also I cannot stand the net mounts being pointed down. That is the fastest way to destroy the nerfs if you run over a stump, or higher ground on a track (our first set for atv racing did this and after the first mx race they were trashed). So those are things I want to address.

Appreciate your input and honesty. You did confirm my suspicion and I did not have to spend $250 to find out I have to mod the thing to work how i need it for another $250.

thanks a ton!!!

Mike

kazander
01-17-2015, 11:03 PM
the prm on my 350 work well for what I do but I do not get far off the ground any more. so I have not stressed them much. I did do some mod to them when I mounted to make them fit the way I wanted. but I do like to ride with them.