PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems.

TrailerRider
01-07-2015, 12:23 PM
ok I pulled the 85 110 carb and cleaned it up. All jets are jets, passages etc are clear, pilot is out 1 1/4, main (bottom of bowl) seated all the way in. It will not idle unless the idle screw is all the way in. What should the main jet be set at? Maybe school me on the mains purpose?

Dave8338
01-07-2015, 01:57 PM
The main jet is fixed, not adjustable other than going up or down on the jet size. If it is running rich at an idle make sure that the float height is set correctly, that the air filter is clean, and that your float needle is seating properly.

Devilsclaw
01-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Could be lots of things. Some that come to mind are leaky intake, plugged air filter, plugged fuel filter/line, float height, sticky float valve, bad gas, slide in wrong, etc.

Also, did you brush and flush the lines real good before you hooked them back up? On these old machines, you could have had perfectly clean primary/orifices when you put it on, but within seconds plugged again from dirty fuel lines or tank. I think the orifices are only like 80 microns, which sounds big enough--but that also means that two 40 micron pieces of crap bunched together are enough to plug it up. Ethanol is a really good solvent too, so that does a good job of breaking all that 30 year old junk loose.

The main should not kick in until throttle is opened a ways. It is basically not normally used at idle. Sounds like you may be feeding it off the main if your slide is raised that much--as you state the idle screw is all the way in.

Been there many times bud...My advice would be take it all apart and do it all again--checking settings along the way. Usually by the sixth time, you get it! Best of luck!

PS: you could also be getting too much air. Stock air filter in good condition and hooked up and oiled I hope? Also a good way to tell if primary is plugged, is the pilot screw usually doesn't have much effect if primary is plugged. Normally moving it only 1/2 turn will make quite a difference.

CRAZY70MAN
01-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Did it run fine before with same carb and jetting?

TrailerRider
01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
OK last night received a rebuild kit. Changed the pilot, idle, float needle and bowl vent oring. with engine cold pilot out 1 1/2, idle in enough to let it sit and idle on its own. Once is runs for a few minutes like maybe 5 or 10 I turn pilot in slowly till it dies which is nearly seated. Then back if out 1 full turn. Will start and idle ok but after a few minutes it starts to slow or become erratic then will eventually die. Also it is worth noting it is running very rich, stinky raw fuel.

When I put the new float needle in and tried to put the bowl back on (carb was upright as it would normally sit) and float dropped and the needle fell out. I wonder if this could be my issue. When I put the bowl on if the needle is not seating or maybe sometimes it is sticking open? All the ports are clear, no intake leaks (used carb clear around everything with no change). Need to check valve adjustments as well.

The bike has always been odd and ran kind of janky like this when trying to idle on its own. Like I said it will start pretty easy but idle is 50/50 shot. Is there something that should be stopping the float from falling all the way down and allowing he needle to fall out? Again with the new jets pretty much runs the same, maybe a little easier to start but that may be in my mind.

Sorry tried to reply last night but it kicked back and deleted my post..

oscarmayer
01-08-2015, 04:37 PM
dumb question, have you used a new plug?

86125m
01-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Have you checked your spark advancer I know it can cause all of the problems you are stating. The springs are probably worn out.

TrailerRider
01-08-2015, 05:53 PM
dumb question, have you used a new plug?

New Plug coming this weekend. As for advancer I will check them this weekend as well. Where do you get the replacement springs?

JustEnough
01-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Surprised that you have to wait for the weekend to get your plug. My local AutoZone, which I can walk to, has the NGK 5123 DR8HS Standard Plug for $2.49.

TrailerRider
01-09-2015, 12:32 AM
Surprised that you have to wait for the weekend to get your plug. My local AutoZone, which I can walk to, has the NGK 5123 DR8HS Standard Plug for $2.49.

I have wait as in that is when I want to go get it. :)

Scootertrash
01-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Once the bowl is back on the carb the float doesn't drop enough to let the inlet needle fall out.

Are you sure you have the proper sized jets in the carb?

tri again
01-09-2015, 05:01 PM
OK last night received a rebuild kit. Changed the pilot, idle, float needle and bowl vent oring. with engine cold pilot out 1 1/2, idle in enough to let it sit and idle on its own. Once is runs for a few minutes like maybe 5 or 10 I turn pilot in slowly till it dies which is nearly seated. Then back if out 1 full turn. Will start and idle ok but after a few minutes it starts to slow or become erratic then will eventually die. Also it is worth noting it is running very rich, stinky raw fuel.

When I put the new float needle in and tried to put the bowl back on (carb was upright as it would normally sit) and float dropped and the needle fell out. I wonder if this could be my issue. When I put the bowl on if the needle is not seating or maybe sometimes it is sticking open? All the ports are clear, no intake leaks (used carb clear around everything with no change). Need to check valve adjustments as well.

The bike has always been odd and ran kind of janky like this when trying to idle on its own. Like I said it will start pretty easy but idle is 50/50 shot. Is there something that should be stopping the float from falling all the way down and allowing he needle to fall out? Again with the new jets pretty much runs the same, maybe a little easier to start but that may be in my mind.

Sorry tried to reply last night but it kicked back and deleted my post..

I can't see too well but as a silly, ez thought, if they die after a few minutes, in MY case, I either forget to turn the gas on, which I'm sure you've done and / or it is a plugged vent cap on the gas tank not allowing enough fuel in....it dies and then restarts for a few minutes.

For years, I was convinced that an .008" guitar string is what fit the slow jet.
Until I got a clean jet that will take a .010"
The get some hard crud that a drill will almost laugh at.
Please let us know what you find and I hope it's ez.
edit:
always a good idea to het the hard stuff adjusted (valves) before we try the finer adjustments.
Not sure this applies, but when I go through a carb, I'll blow into the fuel intake and turn it upside down to double check if the float valve closes.

Slingblade
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
I've never worked on a 110, so correct me if I'm wrong. But it sounds as if you have the pilot jet confused with the air screw. And the main jet confused with the drain screw on the bowl.

Both jets screw in from the bottom of the carb. With your initial problem, I would have guessed the pilot jet was plugged. Those things have to be tiny on a 110.

jmax857
01-09-2015, 06:54 PM
I would install a new spark plug,
Also check the distance between your cdi pickup and cam.
Make sure the cam isn't wobbling.