PDA

View Full Version : 110 Shift Slippage

kbags948
01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a fairly new member of about a year now. I've got some really good tips through the new member discussion forum and I'm hoping to find the same here.

So far this hasn't been too big of a deal but I thought I'd put something out there and see what comes back. I have a recently rebuilt 1983 ATC 110. I'll spare you the details because I replaced a lot of parts but more specifically to my current issue is that I replaced the clutch fibers and springs when I slid in a new shift shaft. I figured since I was going to have that side off I might as well. Per the manual I had I began running 20 W 50 Full synthetic for oil. I know it's quite a bit more slippery but with new fibers I wasn't too concerned with it. Now that it is winter here in Michigan on my last oil change I dropped down to 10 W 30 full synthetic because of the temperature. No more than a week ago I noticed I was having some trouble getting from first gear to second when at medium to high rpms. I noticed it again tonight. It does engage but it takes some coercing. I guess my question is would something like this happen from changing oils? Second part of my question would be should I forgo running synthetic altogether? I really appreciate any feedback that may help

Cheers.

coolpool
01-06-2015, 12:47 AM
I would definitely start with a conventional oil change first. See what that does. Did you soak your discs in oil before installing them?

kbags948
01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Ok. That was my first instinct to change back to conventional. Yes I did soak them for 48 hours. I'll post again to this thread once I've changed it and had time to ride it.

Thx!