PDA

View Full Version : looking at potentially buying 2 trikes

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 01:31 AM
alright, i recently came across a deal tonight on 2 trikes for sale and wondering if its a good deal or not...

one trike is a 200s and it runs and drives, dont know if it smokes or anything else because the guy did really talk to much about this trike... doesnt look to pretty cosmetically but im not to worried about that lol year is unknown

the other trike is a 250 big red which needs a timing chain, he stated that he didnt adjust the timing chain and it slipped off? he also said he has put some money in this one and it looks good in the pictures! he called it a 250sx but it is shaft driven with reverse so i figure its a big red... year is also unknown, he also stated this trike is fast as well...

so first question is how easy it is to replace a timing chain? what am i facing doing this job? any special tools?

other than that he said there was nothing else wrong with them, he is wanting $600 for both of them! any input would be appreciated

fabiodriven
01-05-2015, 01:42 AM
:pics::pics::pics:

We need pics bud.

About the Big Red, it certainly could be an SX as they do have shaft drive and reverse. It's the same engine as the Big Red actually. If the timing chain slipped, more than likely it will need more than just the chain put on. There's a very good chance the valves were crashed into the piston. In that case you could get away with just a valve or two and a head gasket, or you could need an entire top end.

Jmoozy27
01-05-2015, 01:47 AM
250sx and es are very similar and both shaft drive made from 85-87 in the USA. If the timing chain needs to be changed its not that hard of a job. The head cover needs to be removed as well as the clutches, oil pump, and right side cover. I would make sure that there isnt anything else wrong with it and haggle on a lower price. He should bite. Both are good trikes. Check the fluids especially the rear differential oil on the es/sx. Brown is good, black is manageable, grey or white is unacceptable. Good luck, hope you get both of them.

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 02:07 AM
i will post what i have shortly! i take it the engine doesnt have to be removed to do this job? i dont mind spending the money on a new top end if its worth it and thanks on the advice on the rear diff! ill be looking very closely at the trikes and try to haggle

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 02:12 AM
the 250sx

the only picture of the 200s...very blurry picture

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 02:14 AM
well upon looking at the rear of the 2nd picture it looks like its chain driven

KevinJ97
01-05-2015, 06:20 AM
The bottom picture is the 1985 250sx shaft driven. The top two is the 200s wich is the chain driven. You have your names switched around.

KevinJ97
01-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Thats a great price for those two even though they are problematic

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 08:07 AM
yeah i kinda figured i had them switched after i saw the pictures a little closer, the guy said he put some money in the 250sx so i figured the 250 would be the better looking one. so my fault lol im thinking its a good deal, i just want others opinion as for i have other projects that i am working on and it may take some time before i get around to really working on them...

zRxsix3
01-05-2015, 08:12 AM
im in the process of rebuilding an engine in my old truck, and i dont have the time nor do i want to dive into another extensive project at the moment