PDA

View Full Version : atc 110 sounds like recoil is spinning with engine.

jmax857
01-04-2015, 06:46 PM
I lent my atc 110 to some friends and they blew the pull cord and tore the whole recoil apart.
now the recoil works just fine, but it almost sounds like it's spinning while the engine runs?
Is that even possible?
Once in a while it makes a dirty noise too at high rpm,
Going to tear it apart tomorrow but it's -15 and I wouldn't mind if anyone has an idea on what to look for, or if it's a common problem?

MRSOUND
01-04-2015, 09:17 PM
May not have the springs back on the paws allowing them to constantly engage the pulley instead of retracting back in?

tri again
01-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Maybe hold your breath and run out with a 10mm and bring the
recoil inside.
It's pretty obvious when stuff isn't correct.
I think there's a spacer washer and then the clip that holds on the drum thing.
Then again, you didn't get to take it apart.
These machines will start with 1/2 pull of less than a foot
but some people think they start better if you pull the rope as hard as you can about 10 feet out.

trike savior
01-05-2015, 07:22 PM
There is no way it could be spinning without having spit out or broke the pull rope again. Chances are 1 or all of the pawls (Arms that go out) have damage and are not going back in all the way. When the cage on the flywheel goes over it they are making contact.

Things to look for:
Pull start cage (on flywheel) not bent or out of round
The pawls and pawl pockets on the starter have no nicks/ damage
The 3 horse shoe looking pawl springs are present and working
The pawl cover plate is not bent and the spring underneath is present.

oscarmayer
01-06-2015, 10:57 AM
i had a problem on my 200e after rebuild the dummy that rebuild the motor ( :shiftyeyes: ) forgot to torque the 3 bolts tat hold the catch cage to the flywheel. pull the pullstart assembly off and check to ensure your basket is not loose liek mine was. exact same sound i had.

jmax857
01-09-2015, 12:58 PM
i had a problem on my 200e after rebuild the dummy that rebuild the motor ( :shiftyeyes: ) forgot to torque the 3 bolts tat hold the catch cage to the flywheel. pull the pullstart assembly off and check to ensure your basket is not loose liek mine was. exact same sound i had.

Tore it apart and couldn't find a thing wrong with it.
I ran the engine without it and found the noise is inside the transmission, drove it around for about an hour and now it doesn't always go into third gear, makes a ratcheting noise.

oscarmayer
01-09-2015, 02:18 PM
your bearings in the trans are bad. you need to pull the entire engine apart, split the cases and inspect the damage. then look at replacing bearings and seals and such. If you cannot do it, it then may be more economical for you to find a good used bottom end or complete motor and see that one off or keep as spare parts. If your technically capable, rebuilt time!!! BB/hi-comp kit anyone??? ;)

jmax857
01-09-2015, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=oscarmayer;1348484]your bearings in the trans are bad. you need to pull the entire engine apart, split the cases and inspect the damage. then look at replacing bearings and seals and such. If you cannot do it, it then may be more economical for you to find a good used bottom end or complete motor and see that one off or keep as spare parts. If your technically capable, rebuilt time!!! BB/hi-comp kit anyone??? ;)[/QUOTE

I have a spare bottom end waiting for it. the original engine in the machine had a bad top end.
The top end on this thing is lazy at best anyway, paid nothing for it, I actually found the engine in a field and the bottom end had water in it for who knows how long. Swapped the head and got a good year out of it.
been thinking about building a new engine, what are my options for a big bore? I know finding an std bore piston was kind of hard.
I would like to spend as little as possible since I rarely use the machine.

86125m
01-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Dr ATV probably has all the parts you need. If your anything like me even when you dont' use something that much and its broken it drives you crazy until its fixed.

jmax857
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I looked at dratv. Really doesn't have any big bore stuff. I read on the forum somewhere about someone using a ttr piston and boring the stock jug?
Seems like it's been asked a million times but i can' ffind anyone on the forum that's done an easy budget big bore for a 110

oscarmayer
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
you will have to check wiseco to see about BB pistons and hi comp setups. also web cam makes stuff for these old setups or can do a regrind on your old one for better performance.

knowing what I know now, if your just looking for something to put on, and have about $400-$500 get a good Chinese engine like a lifan or piranha motor. Tboltusa.com has some good deals. they should be pretty much bolt in (with the new harness that comes with it and carb) and you can end up with a 155z setup that runs crazy strong. Or you could get a good 125 with reverse and electric start and not have to worry about pull starting it. if your wanting to keep it oem, then wiseco, web are your best bets. carb upgrade to a mikuni 24mm or 26mm carb is also recommended. you have to decide what you want and how much money you actually have to spend on it.

jmax857
01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
I might also look around for a lifan engine locally, I suppose a lot of them have manual clutches and other goodies.

oscarmayer
01-12-2015, 06:59 PM
yup! you can get them with manual and kicks start if you want from a pitbike.