PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250 sx choke stuck.

tri again
01-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Great running sx but thumb plastic broken for choke.
I backed out the plastic screw on the carb so I could drool in some penetrant but it will Not come loose enough to get it out. Drooling liquid wrench around the threads on the carb mount and also down through the throttle cable from the handle bars for a few days now.

Almost gonna have to break the handlebar mount to get the choke cable loose, unless I'm missing something.
Guessing since the throttle slide end is broke, it won't hurt to break it the rest of the way.

One of my fav sx models has the coke cable hanging in mid air and works great.

I also know those choke 'enrichment' pistons can get terminally stuck in the carb body but I haven't made it that far.

trike savior
01-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Been there. Only thing that works is heat. Use a plumbers propane torch and heat the area (carb out and drained of fuel). Careful not too hot though. If you start seeing sparks it is beginning to melt. Get the area good and hot and pull on the cable. Should come out. Some welding gloves will be helpful. Chem dip the carb for a few days while waiting for a new brass plunger and seal kit. Use a small barrel brush to clean the hole when it comes out of the dip. Will be ready for another 30 years.

YTZ drew
01-02-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm dealing with the same thing right now on an 86 Honda Shadow. The plunger was badly stuck, and the owner broke off the tabs that the cable seats in. I had to drill thru the plunger, tap it, and thread a screw into it to act as a "handle" of sorts. Now seeking a replacement plunger. When you get yours out, would you mind measuring it for me?

Flyingw
01-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Hey Drew, did you ever find a part number for the choke valve you need? Going by the pics I saw, it looks like yours is different than the ES/SX chock valve. I need to see the part number to look up the applicability.

tri again
01-03-2015, 06:38 AM
I'm dealing with the same thing right now on an 86 Honda Shadow. The plunger was badly stuck, and the owner broke off the tabs that the cable seats in. I had to drill thru the plunger, tap it, and thread a screw into it to act as a "handle" of sorts. Now seeking a replacement plunger. When you get yours out, would you mind measuring it for me?

I have one out but not sure what machine it came from.
My 87 es has a square cut 'o' ring on it but the earlier ones are plain brass.

I'll post this and go measure it, but it will be in inches.
If I leave this site idle for more than a minute or 2 I get logged off.

brb

edit:
got logged off in 3 min but anyway, this plunger is probably from an 85 es or sx.
diameter is .0314 diameter with a cylinder length of .580 inches.
kinda like a pencil eraser size and shape. or more accurately the metal ferrule that holds the eraser.
There's a bit of taper on one end and the other has odd shaped for the tangs that hold the cable.

I guess it might be easier for me to cut the cable so I can at least get the carb off.
Not much room on an sx.

tri again
01-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Hey Drew, did you ever find a part number for the choke valve you need? Going by the pics I saw, it looks like yours is different than the ES/SX chock valve. I need to see the part number to look up the applicability.

Hey there fw. I've seen replacement plungers but your last comment on sx were keihin odd numbers and es had even numbers or the other way around.

any safe way to get the right one?
actual carb number perhaps?
thanks

Flyingw
01-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Qa01a 85 atc 250es
qa02a 85 atc 250sx
qa03a 86 trx 350
qa04a 85 trx 250
qa05a 85 atc 350x
qa06a -
qa07a 86/87 atc 250es
qa08a 86/87 atc 250sx
qa09a 87 trx 250
qa10a 86 atc 350x

YTZ drew
01-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks Tri-Again, that helps a lot! I hope yours came out with a bit less destruction then mine.
Hey Drew, did you ever find a part number for the choke valve you need?
Thanks Flyingw, I'll PM you. I don't want to hijack this thread.