PDA

View Full Version : Is the 185s capable of maintaining a battery? Wiring diagram shows optional DC power

afdfirefighter
12-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Looking to add an LED headlight to my 83' 185s. To do this all you need is a rectifier to convert the AC to DC but by adding a battery, the LED will maintain constant brightness not just determined by the rpms of the engine. If I am looking at the wiring diagram correctly it appears the stator is already capable to maintain the battery. Am I wrong? Has anyone done this on a 185s effectively. I have seen a lot of different threads of people doing this but never seen a complete thread specific to the 185 with diagrams and results. I will be posting those once I get mine complete. Thanks for the input. 206740

atctim
12-26-2014, 05:03 PM
"Optional DC Power Kit" shows a AC generator. You would need that to charge the battery, or maintain it. Otherwise, no, you will just run the battery dead.

Flyingw
12-26-2014, 05:52 PM
All of the ATCs run an AC lighting coil. The optional kit came with an inverter/regulator to cap the voltage at around 13.6vac but there is a tap that comes out of the inverter/regulator that is DC hence the inverter part but the charge rate would only be not much more than a trickle charge so the smaller the battery the better.

afdfirefighter
12-27-2014, 11:40 AM
So if I get a small battery do you think the stator would keep it maintained if I ran the light for any period of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyingw
12-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Yes but you will need the right inverter/regulator to do so.

afdfirefighter
12-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes but you will need the right inverter/regulator to do so.

I have used a rectifier from a 1984 ATC 200es and that has gotten me converted from AC to DC without a problem. The output varies obviously so I am going to do a battery. But it appears the 200es rectifier is a regulator also. So with that being said, I should be safe to hook a battery up and let it charge, correct?

Flyingw
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM
correct. Just be sure you have it wired in correctly.

afdfirefighter
12-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Right now I have the rectifier wired like this: green is grounded to wiring harness ground, red goes to the yellow on my lighting switch (giving me DC power to the headlight assembly), yellow goes to yellow on the generator. This provides good power to my LED light so it seems to be wired correctly. If I am looking at it right, now all I should have to do is add a battery and go from the battery + to the red from the rectifier with an inline fuse and then ground the - . Anything I am missing here guys?