PDA

View Full Version : Is this a CALFAB swingarm???

stubbie1111
12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Is this a calfab under all this powder coating???

Marty
12-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Yes that most certainly is! Congrats on your find!!!

bkm
12-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Measure it from the middle of the front pivot to the middle of the rear carrier.

BWard
12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Great Find there, Merry Christmas!!!

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 12:45 AM
So my next question is what is this thing worth? I was offered $500.

bkm
12-23-2014, 12:57 AM
It's hard to tell if its cracked or has been repaired because that effects condition dramatically, plus being powedercoated the original finish is most likely gone for good. I'm sure guys that are good with working with aluminum might be able to get the original luster back after the powder coating is removed or polishing is an option also, but likewise effects value. In its current condition, that offer is probably a little on the low side, but it's worth is ultimately what the person who wants it the worst is willing to pay.

bkm
12-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Super nice westcoast swingarm are bringing $500, I would think if this one isn't cracked, repaired, or chain rashed, it should bring around $750 give or take.

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks BKM for all of your input and time.... seems like most people on this sight just like to read and Not reply!! So thank you!!!

bkm
12-23-2014, 01:09 AM
No problem. The 250r calfab is probably the most popular one around and sells for a little less than some of the more rarer arms. I have found with a lot of these rare parts the guys who know what they are worth won't speak up because they're hoping you don't discover it's valve so they can pounce on it.

Red Rider
12-23-2014, 02:29 AM
... seems like most people on this sight just like to read and Not reply!!I would prefer that scenario though rather than the alternative, a bunch of postings from people who know not what they're talking about.

Bren_downe
12-23-2014, 04:29 AM
I would prefer that scenario though rather than the alternative, a bunch of postings from people who know not what they're talking about.

I agree. What you are describing is called Facebook.
I've read this thread 3 or 4 times, didn't say a word because I know very little about third gens, but I love to learn.

Marty
12-23-2014, 04:49 AM
Do not sell at $700!!! Pending no crack or any blemishes you are looking at $900-$1000. Now getting powder of is not a big problem take to a local paint stripper who stripes color. Look for Amy cracks along the way and take to someone who can polish.

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys, but the offer was from someone here on the board, and he offered $500!!! I am 100% sure that this arm is solid with no cracks. All the welds are really heavy duty!!!

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 09:16 AM
There is also NO rash from the chain either!

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Red Rider,
I agree to an extent, but if someone is asking for help because they don't know a lot about that particular machine... then the help is appreciated. As Bren-downe said he and many others (Like myself) may not be SME (Subject Matter Experts) but I thought that is why the site was here so that everyone has a chance to learn about these fantastic machines. I know that I do not know about everything and any and all comments are very much appreciated. Based on what is said in all the replies on my or any other posts is what I should take and decipher from. Not trying to get off topic from my original post... Thank you though. :cool:

I would prefer that scenario though rather than the alternative, a bunch of postings from people who know not what they're talking about.

Mosh
12-23-2014, 11:15 AM
I have turned down offers of 1000$ for mine.

nstyle73
12-23-2014, 12:59 PM
You need to strip it to tell if its solid. Those "HD" welds can have fine cracks along the edges or in a few areas on the other model swingarms, even down the middle. Ask me how I know.......Value is in the eye of the beholder, but strip it and slap a sticker on it and your price is going to go up. Seriously, $10 worth of stripper, an hour of time, $20 sticker and you are looking at a couple hundred more than you currently are offered, plus I'm guessing you are going to have a PM box with offers if this thread continues.

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Hahahaha, You guys are too funny!!! I thought of taking it to my powder coating shop and having the black stripped and getting it redone in a chrome/polished aluminum..... then slapping a sticker on it. If I have it polished it would just end up being a headache to keep up with. And I haven't received any other offers yet!!!

You need to strip it to tell if its solid. Those "HD" welds can have fine cracks along the edges or in a few areas on the other model swingarms, even down the middle. Ask me how I know.......Value is in the eye of the beholder, but strip it and slap a sticker on it and your price is going to go up. Seriously, $10 worth of stripper, an hour of time, $20 sticker and you are looking at a couple hundred more than you currently are offered, plus I'm guessing you are going to have a PM box with offers if this thread continues.

yaegerb
12-23-2014, 06:18 PM
It needs to be soda blasted. Using any type of sand, glass bead, walnut shell or oxi will inevitably leave small abrasions on that soft aluminum. Who the hell powdercoats a work of art like that? Wonder if they did it to try and fill hairline cracks.....guess you won't know until you clean it off. I wouldn't re-powder it.

Mosh
12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
I dont understand why we are too funny. You asked what it was, what it is worth and were worried you wont get replies and people just read and not respond.

A guy was asking 1200 for one in classifieds yesterday. I gave a member a smoking deal on a triz calfab for 575 5 years ago just to wind up watching it get trashed in a wreck..The last anything atv calfab I have seen all beat to hell even were bringing over 600 on ebay in recent years. Someone said calfab is back in business and would consider redoing them at a minimum order of 10 or so for like 700 each, if I recall correctly. And 3ww is not the be all end all of money and offers so dont let one website gauge the value based on what offers you are not getting.
But I am with the others unless you bring it back to its original condition 500 would be tops for it more than likely.

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 07:46 PM
yaegerb,
My powdercoat shop said they can remove the powdercoat.... but how hard would this thing be to polish?

yaegerb
12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
It would take some time but definitely doable. If you want to go that route at some point send me a PM.

stubbie1111
12-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I was just laughing at your guys comments.... Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the input that I am receiving!!! I actually told the guy who offered me the cash that I was going to hold off now and I am taking it Friday or Saturday to my powder coating guy. I plan on stripping it, and verifying that it is solid with No cracks and then I will most likely polish it, slap a sticker on it, and then offer it to the original guy who contacted me first.... If he doesn't want it, then I will list it on eBay and to the members on here!!!

I dont understand why we are too funny. You asked what it was, what it is worth and were worried you wont get replies and people just read and not respond.

A guy was asking 1200 for one in classifieds yesterday. I gave a member a smoking deal on a triz calfab for 575 5 years ago just to wind up watching it get trashed in a wreck..The last anything atv calfab I have seen all beat to hell even were bringing over 600 on ebay in recent years. Someone said calfab is back in business and would consider redoing them at a minimum order of 10 or so for like 700 each, if I recall correctly. And 3ww is not the be all end all of money and offers so dont let one website gauge the value based on what offers you are not getting.
But I am with the others unless you bring it back to its original condition 500 would be tops for it more than likely.

The_Steve_Man
12-24-2014, 06:27 AM
A little off topic. Why are the calfab swingarms worth so much? What is the big deal with them?

stubbie1111
12-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Steve I wish I new!!! Other then the fact the are ALOT lighter, I believe it maybe just the nostalgic or rarity of them. Can anyone else chime in on this?

A little off topic. Why are the calfab swingarms worth so much? What is the big deal with them?

86T3
12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
It took me about 40 hours to polish my Calfab and there are still some areas I'm not 100% happy with. About the price, it's supply and demand. You see westcoasts for sale pretty frequently, not so much for calfabs. It is kind of silly though, because for rideability westcoasts are much stronger

poohbee1
12-24-2014, 11:15 AM
I personally would not polish it in my eyes it would be worth less than half if it did not look original anymore. Strip it and see what it looks like. What is the length that would effect value +2 has no value to me but to someone else who wants one who knows what they will pay.I would hold off selling it until its stripped and measure it and check the condition see what you have.

atc007
12-24-2014, 11:35 AM
A lot of different opinions for sure. If someone offered 5 bucks as she sits. And you have no plans of using it. I would let her fly. I think that is a very reasonable offer. But what do I know,I've only ever bought one. If it was a minus. I would be wanting it! Great find for a great guy. Merry Christmas!

The_Steve_Man
12-24-2014, 12:26 PM
I get the westcoast. Any aftermarket extended swinger costs money and the westcoasts are strong.
Other than rarity and cool factor, the calfab is just an aluminum arm. You can put on a 450r swinger on and it is hella strong for about $70.
That is what I see and dont see that much money. But that is my ignorant view.

250rmanfmf
12-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Steve I wish I new!!! Other then the fact the are ALOT lighter, I believe it maybe just the nostalgic or rarity of them. Can anyone else chime in on this?

They were used by team Honda back in the 80's. People recognize them and remember them. They were the best thing back then until they found they tended to crack at the welds and weren't as strong as oem or other aftermarkets. They aren't really that rare. You see probably 4 to a half dozen for sale a year. There are more rare swingarms out there but everyone remembers the calfabs. You really need to strip the powder coating to look at the weld areas for cracks. I have had two of these and one was in pretty good shape. I sold that one for $750 non ebay sale about 3 years ago. On ebay I have seen them sell for $800-1200. But that's no cracks, no chain rash, original pieces with original stickers.

You have a great piece and these items are worth what someone is willing to pay. so if $500 is the most you have been offered then post up a classified and have people make offers. In the current state, IMO you have a 500-700 dollar swingarm. remove paint confirm no cracks or chain rash and skidplate mounts are intact. Put a cal fab sticker and IMO its a $800-1100 swingarm.

Hope this helps

atc007
12-24-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm not aware of Team Honda ATC ever using these ,anything was possible,,but I am not aware of it.. Theirs were built by Turner and or in house. very similar,but complete different animals :) And plus wasn't what they were after. Stubbies looks like a plus2 to me. Great info on value though 250r man. It is worth what anyone is willing to pay.

stubbie1111
12-24-2014, 04:51 PM
They were used by team Honda back in the 80's. People recognize them and remember them. They were the best thing back then until they found they tended to crack at the welds and weren't as strong as oem or other aftermarkets. They aren't really that rare. You see probably 4 to a half dozen for sale a year. There are more rare swingarms out there but everyone remembers the calfabs. You really need to strip the powder coating to look at the weld areas for cracks. I have had two of these and one was in pretty good shape. I sold that one for $750 non ebay sale about 3 years ago. On ebay I have seen them sell for $800-1200. But that's no cracks, no chain rash, original pieces with original stickers.

You have a great piece and these items are worth what someone is willing to pay. so if $500 is the most you have been offered then post up a classified and have people make offers. In the current state, IMO you have a 500-700 dollar swingarm. remove paint confirm no cracks or chain rash and skidplate mounts are intact. Put a cal fab sticker and IMO its a $800-1100 swingarm.

Hope this helps

I'm not aware of Team Honda ATC ever using these ,anything was possible,,but I am not aware of it.. Theirs were built by Turner and or in house. very similar,but complete different animals :) And plus wasn't what they were after. Stubbies looks like a plus2 to me. Great info on value though 250r man. It is worth what anyone is willing to pay.

Thanks EVERYONE for the outstanding replies...... and just to let everyone know I had an OUTSTANDING offer for the swingarm and I let it go, as is with powder coating intact! No Need to mention price or to whom it went too, but just know that it is now on it's way to a very good home. I gave someone my word to sell it to them for $500 and when this offer came in I let them know and they said "sell it". To that individual I say thank you, and thank you to the new owners!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Buster Brown
12-24-2014, 06:02 PM
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Historical%20ATV%20Articles/MartyHeart86ATCampTRXshootoutvsquads4.jpg

Both Marty's ATCs & TRXs used -1" CAL FABs. A former team rider explained to me the Paul Turner swingarms were used for flat track (less impact) events and CAL FAB was used for MX after some PT swingarm failures. CALFABs were better, but were not without issues. Most likely only run one race, and replaced.