PDA

View Full Version : Another funky shifting 250 es.. and Calif atc law.

tri again
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Hopefully not terminal.
So I went to ebay and got all the shift parts for 20$ free shipping.
Seems to be a few that folks pull the cover and take off anything easy and sell as a group.
drum star, pins, springs, chicklets and this one even has the shiftshaft.
When I asked why they'd tak apart a great running machine?
He said Calif law makes it hard to 'register' or transfer without a real title.
I can get a title in Oregon for 50$ so maybe worth saving trikes from getting parted out.
Sure seems a shame for no real good reason.
Parts prices do not exceed running machine prices from what I've seen.

Jmoozy27
12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
I need to get all those parts as my 85 es has been shifting rough. It also wasn't finding 1st gear the other day after riding for about an hour on the levee. been searching but couldn't find any definite answers. What are your symptoms?

tri again
12-16-2014, 05:36 PM
I need to get all those parts as my 85 es has been shifting rough. It also wasn't finding 1st gear the other day after riding for about an hour on the levee. been searching but couldn't find any definite answers. What are your symptoms?

I've done 3 like that.
Usually a threaded pin comes loose, and/or bends or breaks. 12 bucks new.
Flying w has seen bent shift shafts.
Got a dr appt but you can call me later.
Someone did a great writeup with pix.
Try search key for "250 es shift" or sx shift...same machine for this purpose.
Not real hard, just tedious.
Lay trike dead level, pull side cover, plug internal holes in case you drop something,
Side cover gasket. I glue them to the cover with contact cement so they can come off again.
make sure it's not the shift lever dragging on the outside of the case...
I gotta run but will check back.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2014, 06:17 PM
There are pins in the shift mechanism that break off or come loose.

Take the left cover off, put the rear on a stand and roll the tires while shifting; You'll see it.

Jmoozy27
12-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks, currently disassembling my parts bike to make some room. When that is done I will pull covers on both motors and go from there hopefully the PM has good parts in the bottom end.

tri again
12-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Thanks, currently disassembling my parts bike to make some room. When that is done I will pull covers on both motors and go from there hopefully the PM has good parts in the bottom end.

One of mine was not ez to see.
It was the threaded pin in the end of the shift drum stopper star looking thingie.
It had backed out and bent but the only way I could see it was to take it out and spin it reeeeeal slow in a drill to see the wobble.
Thankfully that pin was good in my parts trike.
I like them dead level on the side because there is a 'thrust' washer of sorts on the Other side of the engine that can fall down.
If it's dead level and you are reeeeal careful pulling the long shift shaft that goes all the way thru to the other side, it will stay put due to oil adhesion.

tri again
12-17-2014, 12:22 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/145655-UPDATED-loose-pin-in-shift-drum-85-250sx-doesn-t-waaaana-shift?highlight=sx+shift

tri again
12-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I remember a few of us going thru this at the same time, couple yrs ago and I think flyingW posted gorgeous pix but ran out of laptop battery looking for his original posting.
search key under:
"sx shift' should get you more than you need to know.
Of course you can call me too.