PDA

View Full Version : 200x timing help

cambroseispro
12-16-2014, 01:05 PM
I picked up an 85 200x and the motor was bad. There was no compression I put my other top end on it also from a 200x it's bored .80 over with a 12:1 compression piston. I have read how to do the timing for a stock 200 on here I tried that and it still won't start it has spark and is getting fuel iv checked everything I can think of including the static timing it all seems to be right on so what could it be?any help is aprecated

oscarmayer
12-16-2014, 03:25 PM
make sure the cdi rotor is not 180* out.
i have made that mistake.
timing is exactly the same across all the 185/200cc engines for ATC. same marks. so it is the same.spray some carb cleaner down the carb with it open. and then try to start. i had a bad carb that caused no flow of fuel before as well.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Anyone can disagree but this is what I'd do. Pull the plug and slowly with your right hand push the kicker down when you feel air blowing your thumb off, put a straw in the spark plug hole and feel it to get to TDC on the compression stroke. Then and there you can adjust valves, make sure the cam lobes are DOWN and not 180 out.

You can be 180 out on the cam timing and or on the pulse generator/ignition (whatever its called).

Fastest best way to check ever!! It's really vey easy. I screwed it up nearly 29 years ago when I was 15 y.o.

cambroseispro
12-16-2014, 06:37 PM
I have checked every thing and the timings fine even when I spray starting fluid in it it won't fire has spark outside the cylinder but acts like it dosnt in the cylinder I also checked the cdi pulse generator and have that done correctly do idk what's wrong with it

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Does kicking it over blow your thumb off the hole for the spark plug??

I guess you don't have a compression tester, but as I described, that works for the time being.

Are the valves adjusted to tight allowing compression to escape; That's another "could be" issue......

hawaiirider
12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
i had the same exact problem, mine has 12.1 piston also, it was my valves were too tight, not loose! i loosedned them up and it fired instantly!

cambroseispro
12-23-2014, 09:50 PM
I have done the thumb test and it blows my thumb off and I checked valves also and they are adjusted accordingly. I'm wondering if it's a weak coil causing loss of spark under a load

Scootertrash
12-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Are you sure it's getting fuel? Is the plug wet? Is the engine getting flooded?

Did you actually recheck everything as stated above? Do you have a manual?

First: Go rent a compression tester from NAPA/OReilly's?Pep boys or some other auto store. It doesn't cost anything (at least by me it doesn't) and you will know what you have for compression. Assuming that you have good compression by using the thumb method does you no good. Get a good compression number using a tester. (not bashing anyones suggestions here, just my humble opinion ;) )

If you have good compression re-perform the procedure DC outlined for you above:

Drop a straw down the plug hole to be absolutely sure you are on the compression stroke by verifying that both cam lobes are downward and both rocker arms have play in them?

Skipping steps because things "look right" won't save you any time. You need to go back to square one on the timing and valve clearances.

try a little starting fluid into the spark pug hole. That eliminates the carb. see if it fires.

FWIW, I've never had a "weak" coil in anything. they either work or they don't. YMMV

ETA: Your engine isn't under any "load" until you start using the engine to pull the weight of the machine and it's operator by driving it. ;)

cap
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Plug wire laying on a bad spot when you push it back onto the plug? Walked 15 miles down a snowmobile trail once because of that, only time I've been left stranded.