PDA

View Full Version : Gen 1 tecate kickstarter gear

black110
12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Ok have an 85 tecate, and the kick starter gear is slipping, actually I'm not writing this my "shin" is, but its a guessing game if you'll turn the motor over or slam bottom with no resistance! I took it apart and can't find anything really wrong, i swapped in some other parts off a different motor and same problem. Is something assembled wrong? Is this a common issue? Do i need new parts? Anyone with help is greatly appreciated.

nd4speed
12-15-2014, 02:53 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?discussionid=1172&pp=10&page=2&do=discuss

inspect weakness of small spring left side(pic)/ add shims/washers or replace.

Inspect ratchet gear teeth for chipping.

Make sure no coolant in your oil.

black110
12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks I'll look into that

nd4speed
12-16-2014, 01:30 AM
I also had issue with type of trans fluid I was using and cold weather. I think it was 80w golden spectro. Which worked in the past, but I think the 80w was too heavy.

Cold weather and thick oil or milky coolant contaminated oil made mine slip. Was fine that summer then it slipped again. I found some chipped teeth. I have others lying around so I just tried a different one. Some people like KX500 riders back cut those teeth.

I was using ATF type F but switched to some valvoline atv/motorcycle wet clutch 10w40 from local auto store. That has been fine.