PDA

View Full Version : SX/ES Stator Swap?

redsox
11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
will an SX stator swap out with an 85 250ES? i know the engines are similar but not sure if the stator/flywheel are the same. Any thoughts?

Flyingw
11-16-2014, 08:07 PM
It should swap ok. The parts fiche now shows a common part number for both 85 models.

redsox
11-16-2014, 08:15 PM
you da man! thats what i wanted to hear. thanks. did it change in 86?

MRSOUND
11-16-2014, 08:28 PM
I would be careful though....There are different part #'s within the 85 model yr. May change the pulse coil connections.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1985/ATC250SX+A/GENERATOR/parts.html

MIK6
11-16-2014, 08:28 PM
86 has a different end from stator.. and different cdi..

3wheelrider
11-16-2014, 08:39 PM
There are 2 makes of the stator which have different size flywheel & stator from what little I know about the SX/ES. Pretty sure- if your swapping-& If theyre different -you must swap flywheel along with the stator or vice versa (as a set) And- Im not sure though if its a yr. to yr. or model to model thing or what? Or it could have come with either??? Hopefully someone can clear this up?

erectordale
11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
3wheelrider you are correct you can use stator but need flywheel and I always use the sx cdi with sx stator or es with es

Flyingw
11-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Ya there are several different part numbers associated with the stator but the current one is listed for both models. I also agree that the flywheel that goes with the SX stator you intend on using should swap over as well. In 86, Honda did a slight redesign to the stator, flywheel, and one way bearing. The change to the bearing is what drove the redesign of the stator and flywheel.

redsox
11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
ok. i had a bad seal on the shift shaft and a bad stator. i changed out the case cover with an SX case that i know had a good stator. she fired right up and runs right. lights work. would i know right away if it was mismatched, or would it be something over time where a problem would arise?

Flyingw
11-16-2014, 10:12 PM
No you are good to go. No further actions required.

MIK6
11-16-2014, 10:13 PM
If it works you should be all set!

Ride it!! Lol

redsox
11-16-2014, 11:07 PM
this site is the best. thanks boys.

redsox
11-30-2014, 11:59 AM
OK, update. And HELP needed. my cousin, (and inactive member on here) bought an 86 250ES a few years ago. Good shape, but had previous owner said it had a bad stator. Well, we put a battery in it, and sure enough it would draw until the battery was dead. We bought a used stator from eBay form a guy in maine. swapped it out and it was the same problem. after that, he just kind of lived with having limited headlight range as well as e start. when the battery died, he had neither. well, move forward a few years and he asks me to address a broken shift return pivot bolt and leaky shift shaft seal. so, now i had a known good stator from an 85 sx. i swapped out cases (and fixed the pivot bolt). Everything seemed ok, but after a ride on friday, by day's end, dim headlight and no e-start. I'm stuck. but, i'm thinking that there may be a difference between 85 and 86 rather than a difference in ES and SX. Does anyone have a known good 86 ES stator? is there an option to buy a new one? Is there something other than the stator that would cause the problem?

shortline10
11-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Possibly a bad RECTIFIER / REGULATOR or a broken wire in the harness . See if you have higher voltage when the motor is running than when not running . Check it at the battery terminals

OK, update. And HELP needed. my cousin, (and inactive member on here) bought an 86 250ES a few years ago. Good shape, but had previous owner said it had a bad stator. Well, we put a battery in it, and sure enough it would draw until the battery was dead. We bought a used stator from eBay form a guy in maine. swapped it out and it was the same problem. after that, he just kind of lived with having limited headlight range as well as e start. when the battery died, he had neither. well, move forward a few years and he asks me to address a broken shift return pivot bolt and leaky shift shaft seal. so, now i had a known good stator from an 85 sx. i swapped out cases (and fixed the pivot bolt). Everything seemed ok, but after a ride on friday, by day's end, dim headlight and no e-start. I'm stuck. but, i'm thinking that there may be a difference between 85 and 86 rather than a difference in ES and SX. Does anyone have a known good 86 ES stator? is there an option to buy a new one? Is there something other than the stator that would cause the problem?

redsox
11-30-2014, 05:45 PM
ok, i'll try and get to it tonight. i'll report back. i tried to do it earlier but dead batteries in my meter.