PDA

View Full Version : Removing brake hub and sprocket hub off 86 kxt 250

sportvette
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
man, what a pain it was to get the wheel hubs and axle nuts off. they were all rusted on like crazy. now i need to remove the brake rotor hub, the bearing carrier, and the sprocket hub.

any ideas on how to remove these?

it has been really bad getting this stuff apart. does everything slide off the end that had the nuts? i left my books at another house.

thanks,
mark

monoxide
01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
man, what a pain it was to get the wheel hubs and axle nuts off. they were all rusted on like crazy. now i need to remove the brake rotor hub, the bearing carrier, and the sprocket hub.

any ideas on how to remove these?

it has been really bad getting this stuff apart. does everything slide off the end that had the nuts? i left my books at another house.

thanks,
mark

one of them comes off right when you take the axle nuts off(i'am pretty sure its the brake rotor. leave the left side wheel on, get a block of wood on the right end of the axle (after removing the wheel hub) then hit it with a hammer until it slides outta the bearings. to get the sprocket hub off i took 2 two ton jacks, put them on the tires and pumped them both at the same timeuntil it slide off....(home made press ;) )

Jeb
01-14-2004, 09:26 PM
After removing the right hub off the axle, You take the two main axle nuts off. the brake carrier and disc should slide off. then the axle slides out of the carrier from the sprocket side. It will probably take some persuasion since it's sounds like things are in poor condition. Do not beat too hard on the end of the axle as you can bend the whole thread area on the end. If you can, get a piece of pipe that will slide over the threads and butt up against the axle where the hub butts up to drive with.

Dont remove the sprocket hub off the axle unless you have to. It's held on by an internal ring around the axle and underneath the sprocket hub. It can be a bear.

Use buykawasaki.com schematics. much better than going it alone.

sportvette
01-14-2004, 09:45 PM
this stuff is really rusted on there. i had to use a 4 foot long bar with a ratchet head to remove the axle nuts on the end, and it still wasnt easy. then i had to zep the wheel hubs. bang them off like hell with a hammer. then take a 3 foot plumbing wrench on the other axle nuts. needless to say i need new axle nuts from destroying them with the plumbing wrench. are the axle nuts still available through kawasaki? do other axle nuts fit this axle?

the brake rotor hub does not simply come off. in fact it looks like it is going to be the worst to remove. i have some zep on it right now. im going to see if my dad could take it to work and press these parts off. is there any concern with getting the sprocket hub off with the press? i need this hub for my durablue axle. anyone have these hubs for sale?

thanks,
mark