PDA

View Full Version : 250sx Shifting question; help!

chaser
01-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone. Just got back into 3 wheeling, it's been 17 years and I missed it. I have a 1985 250sx that I just picked up. It has a shifting problem. When going to downshift the shifter goes all the way down and stays until returned from below by foot. Other than that, it seems to shift just fine. Anyone here encounter this problem? I did try a search, but did not see this same problem covered before. Thanks for any help!
mark

Dirtcrasher
01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone. Just got back into 3 wheeling, it's been 17 years and I missed it. I have a 1985 250sx that I just picked up. It has a shifting problem. When going to downshift the shifter goes all the way down and stays until returned from below by foot. Other than that, it seems to shift just fine. Anyone here encounter this problem? I did try a search, but did not see this same problem covered before. Thanks for any help!
mark

Take off your left side cover that houses the lighting coil and the starter gears etc. In there you will find the shifter linkage and return pin. It is very common for the 250SX to break the shifter return pin which causes the shifter to get "stuck" in the down position. Easy fix - but your pin either fell out or broke and is flopping around in ther so get it apart ASAP.

Howdy
01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
DirtCrasher is right on the money here. Here is a blow out of the shifting assembly. The pin that normally breaks is item #8
Howdy

http://www.bright.net/~4howdy/250sxShiftingAssembly.jpg

chaser
01-14-2004, 09:36 PM
I found the culprit, it's actually #6. It cracked open and seperated allowing the shifter shaft to travel further than it should. Honda still sells it! My wallet is $30- lighter, but my trike will be on the trail saturday. Thanks for the help! :-D :-D :-D
mark

mad_max
01-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Mark,

Just curious, did you check the pin #8, mine was loose on my 250sx so I replaced it (just to be safe since I was in that far anyway) and the new one was tighter (fit better in the threaded hole).

chaser
01-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I did check the pin, and found it was okay. The bike is running great now, no shifting worries. I can only assume the metal fatigued on part #6, maybe from abuse. Thankfully Honda still stocks the part and delivered it in one day!
mark