PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Tuning Tips

El Camexican
11-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Been wrenching a lot this past week and thought I’d share a few things that came back to me with whoever is interested. I hope others add more tips to the thread.

Two Stroke Base Gaskets: They often protrude into the cases and cause an area of turbulence for the air trying to get up into the transfer ports. May not be a big deal on a stock engine that has a number of mismatched spots in this area, but this particular engine has had the cases matched to the cylinder, so any obstruction by the gasket defeats the purpose. The fix is to firmly hold the gasket in place and trim the excess with a razor. Just be careful you don’t cut though, or get off track if the gasket shifts. Best have a spare handy the first time you try it.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014003_zps98b768c9.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014003_zps98b768c9.jpg.html)

Intake Manifolds: Big carbs and ported intakes are great, but a stock intake boot between the two usually ends up choking the path of air. The best way to fix this is to open them up with a wood cutting bit on a drill or die grinder. If the head is off the engine it is really easy, but if it is on the engine you can stuff a rag deep into the intake tract to keep the rubber and any aluminum out of the engine. It seems a lot of people skip this either because the builders don’t have the intake boots when they do the head, or they don’t want to spend the time. This mod makes a huge difference to top end HP. If the boot looks rough after you finish you can remove it and polish it up with a sanding drum, but don’t do this while it is on an assembled engine. A little rubber and aluminum won’t anything, but sand particles will.
Exhaust Pipes: For whatever reason (cost?) some pipes come with unpolished welds where the mounting collar is welded on. Take a minute and smooth them out with a die grinder before you mount the pipe.

Spark Plug Indexing: This one is a stretch, but why not try it. The theory is that you scratch the base of the plug, or mark it with a Sharpie to indicate where the open side of the electrode ground is. You then try to tighten it to have the open side facing either towards the center of the combustion chamber, or in the case of a HEMI, into the path of the intake charge. You need to start with a new plug so that the washer has some life in it, otherwise you’ll be too loose, or too tight when you hit your mark. Pro-Stock guys swore by this at one time, not sure if it is still practiced.

Carb Leveling: Some carb/manifold combos, especially aftermarket, don’t have an alignment mark, or groove. This makes it difficult to tell if the carb is level. Even worse if it’s a two wheeler resting on the side-stand, or the intake is offset to the side. To make sure the carb is as level as it can be remove the cap and rest a 12 inch machinist’s level across the top of the carb. The level should be as close to parallel to the crankshaft as possible. Then loosen the manifold boot and have a buddy balance the bike from the rear while you twist the carb until the bubble shows level and snug the carb up. If you are doing this on a trike make sure the rear tires have equal air pressure in them before you start.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014007_zpsc9535fe9.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014007_zpsc9535fe9.jpg.html)

Chain Alignment: Picked this up about a year ago after seeing it on a Motion Pro “Tool of the month” email. It is fantastic! Alignment marks are iffy at best and measuring from swing-arm pivot to axle is a PITA, neither will get you as lined up as this thing. I just wish the rod was a little longer. You’ll get your investment back in extended chain life and rear wheel HP in no time at all. If you aren’t sure you’re using it right invite a buddy over that shoots rifles, plays pool, or lays bricks for a living and he’ll figure it out for you.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/lucky1366/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014012_zpsf6d9be18.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/lucky1366/media/2002%20KTM%20300%20EXC/ktmnov22014012_zpsf6d9be18.jpg.html)

Chain Tension: Raise the trike or bike. Disconnect the rear shock(s). Raise and support the swing-arm until the rear axle, swing-arm pivot and counter sprocket line up. Unless you have some sort of weird geometry going on this should represent the furthest distance that your rear sprocket will ever be from your front sprocket. Find the tight spot on your chain (they all have one) and with the chain in that position adjust the axle until the chain has about ½” inch of play in it. Double check it after you tighten the axle as it may get tighter. Repeat until its right, and then put your suspension back on.

Front Axle/Fork alignment: Don’t obsess over the difference in height between the two fork tubes as they sit in the tree. Try to get them close, but don’t worry if they are off by say a couple mm. What is critical to a supple fork action is the distance between the two lower axle mounts, especially on inverts, and long travel forks. Typically your axle will thread into and tighten up against the inside of one of your forks , the furthest one from the head of the axle, usually the brake side. Start by raising the front wheel. Now install the axle and tighten it fully. Make sure the pinch bolts are torqued on the side the axle threads into. Now make sure the pinch bolts on the other fork are loose and using a flat tipped screw driver pry it open a little. Grab the fork leg and make sure it can move laterally on the axle. Now spin the wheel with your hand and slam the front brake on. This will jar the suspension and cause the loose fork leg to align itself parallel to the tightened fork. Do it at least three times, the harder the better. Tighten the pinch bolts and try it out. This adjustment makes a huge difference to the first few inches of travel and saves your seals and bushings. If you want to get really obsessive you can loosen the tree clamps on the fork you just aligned and repeat the spinning wheel/front brake lock so that the spring pre-load balances between the two forks. If you do decide to do this I recommend you repeat the axle alignment steps afterwards to be certain nothing changed.

Throttle Cable Adjustment: While free play from lock to lock is critical in the cable it’s always a good idea to pull the carb off, or get a good look inside after you’ve changed, or adjusted the cable to make sure that the slider is opening all the way when the throttle is wide open.

Clutch Cable: The best way to make sure you’re getting all the release you can, but not holding the clutch pack open when you ride is (if possible) pull the oil filler cap and get your pinky finger onto the pressure plate of the clutch. With your other hand gently pull the clutch lever in until you feel the pressure plate release. Now slowly release the lever until you feel the pressure plate stop moving. Repeat until you are sure when the clutch pack is free and when it is closed. You can adjust the cable accordingly until there is almost immediate movement of the pressure plate when you pull the lever. Now screw the adjuster at the lever in one full turn and check once more that you can move the lever a little before the pressure plate starts to move. If all seems fine snug your jamb nut and you are safe to ride while still getting as much opening of the clutch pack as possible. Makes finding neutral a lot easier and has no adverse effect on the life of the clutch. As the clutch wears the lever will have more free play and you will have to repeat the process.

onformula1
01-13-2015, 02:32 AM
More info- on plug indexing-

If you try Spark Plug Indexing the "open side" goes toward the the exhaust valve or exhaust port.

I have used indexing washers like these-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all96505?seid=srese1&gclid=CIm04vCpkMMCFciDfgodBFMAqw

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-71900?seid=srese1&gclid=CMeR9vKpkMMCFciDfgodBFMAqw

Here's a Video explaining-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4GnIk_YC0

Lots of views for this thread, let's get some posts on here!

onformula1
01-13-2015, 02:56 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention I like your tips.

If we could get everyone to join in, this could be huge! (Of course then we will all be going at the same pace...LOL)

3wheelrider
01-13-2015, 10:14 AM
This is great info ElCamex- But I really would like to have seen exactly how the intake boot was opened up/modified. I dont see what there is to be done there?

JasonB
01-13-2015, 10:27 AM
hell ya man nice thread! I hadnt thought about the gaskets, or the plug indexing before. Plug indexing is an interesting concept, but technically all the air and fuel are in the combustion chamber and there is no more entering or leaving the area so would it matter? I mean, the mix is being pressurized from below and there is no more air/fuel entering from any direction so what would be the benefit to aiming the gap any particular direction? Just curious, its a cool concept i had never given thought to!

El Camexican
01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
This is great info ElCamex- But I really would like to have seen exactly how the intake boot was opened up/modified. I dont see what there is to be done there?

Pretty basic stuff. Imagine that the stock orifice of your 4 stroke intake port is 27mm and after porting its now 29mm. The rubber manifold that slips or bolts to the head is stock and therefore close to 27mm. In this scenario your stock carb likely had a 28mm I.D. and now you might have a 30mm carb on the modified engine.

So with the manifold on the head and the carb off you can stick your finger inside the hole and clearly feel a 1mm step all around the two parts where they meet. If you were to remove the manifold and put it on the carburetor you'd feel a similar step between the two.

You want to grind out the excess rubber to make the I.D. of the manifold no less than the smallest I.D. of either the carb or the manifold. I don't have any photos of this on this computer, but here is a post I put up a while back about matching the manifold on my YTM. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/171354-Intake-Manifold-Porting-YTM-200-225

3wheelrider
01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
OH -But I thought this was about a 2 stroke intake manifold (reed valved)- I was thrown off-lol
Yeah -Ive seen that on a 4stroke before...

El Camexican
01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
OH -But I thought this was about a 2 stroke intake manifold (reed valved)- I was thrown off-lol
Yeah -Ive seen that on a 4stroke before...

I'm planning to do a 2 stroke intake soon. Not the same, but I looks like it can be smoothed out a bit. I'll post it if I actually go through with it.

Jmoozy27
01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Nice tips bro, I have been taking all of these into consideration since you originally posted. People don't realize what all goes into ignition in a flammable atmosphere. I have been involved in flash fire investigations where victims ended up with 3rd degree burn on 75% of their body and guy standing 6 feet away from them who were behind a 3 inch support pipe received no burns. A little bit of shielding makes a huge difference. All of my plugs have ink on them.

El Camexican
01-13-2015, 11:58 PM
Nice tips bro, I have been taking all of these into consideration since you originally posted. People don't realize what all goes into ignition in a flammable atmosphere. I have been involved in flash fire investigations where victims ended up with 3rd degree burn on 75% of their body and guy standing 6 feet away from them who were behind a 3 inch support pipe received no burns. A little bit of shielding makes a huge difference. All of my plugs have ink on them.

On the topic of plugs, do you recall Byron Hines campaign a Yamaha FJ Pro Stock bike for two years way back when it had a 4 valve head and THREE plugs per cylinder? I can't find a photo of it. Bore would have been around 85mm if your wondering how crowded it was in there. I think Rick Ward help with it or may have even built it for them. Now imagine the fun they had indexing the plugs on that head:lol:

This is a Suzuki head, not much different. Where the heck do you fit 2 more plugs on DOHC and still get a wrench on them???

onformula1
01-14-2015, 12:12 AM
hell ya man nice thread! I hadnt thought about the gaskets, or the plug indexing before. Plug indexing is an interesting concept, but technically all the air and fuel are in the combustion chamber and there is no more entering or leaving the area so would it matter? I mean, the mix is being pressurized from below and there is no more air/fuel entering from any direction so what would be the benefit to aiming the gap any particular direction? Just curious, its a cool concept i had never given thought to!

This is really for a 4-stroke, I have tried it on a 2-stroke for fun and didn't notice anything.

onformula1
01-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Spark plug tips-

Try changing heat ranges for better performance it can make a huge difference on some machines.

I had a few TMR KX250's that I raced that run much, much better with a heat range "9" colder plug instead of a stock "8" (Tom Morgan was shocked & thought I was high) It worked on a stock bike as well.
Some machines run better with a "7" hotter plug- grab some plugs and go testing, you maybe surprised.

Eric Gorr likes the projected insulator type plugs like a- BP8ES or BP7ES but they only work better on a head where there are plug threads visible from the inside, when the spark plug is tight. You can also mill the top of the head at the plug boss.

Give it a try- depending on the heat range your bike came with you can go to a 6-7-8-9-10 (Try 1 down or 1-2 up from stock)

Remember- The spark plug firing end temperature must be kept low enough to prevent pre-ignition, but high enough to prevent fouling. This is called “Thermal Performance”, and is determined by the heat range selected.

I have had machines where it made such difference it felt like I installed a turbo. LOL

This can help with jetting issues as well.

El Camexican
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
You don`t want a smooth intake on a 2-stroke..... porting - 101 !!

Smooth as in unimpeded, or void of steps and abrupt transitions, not polished... Bro.

3wheelrider
01-14-2015, 10:32 AM
What kinds of twee wheeler do you gots ? Who does #2 work for ?............bro ......reeds ?....we don`t need thoughs stinking reeds ....bro ?
Please!-take your meds!?!?!?!

Scootertrash
01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Maybe he took too many already?

3wheelrider
01-14-2015, 01:04 PM
-Maybe you're right????

onformula1
02-24-2015, 05:14 AM
Anyone want to re-start with a couple of their own tuning tips?

Lets help each other.

El Camexican
02-26-2015, 01:05 AM
Anyone want to re-start with a couple of their own tuning tips?

Lets help each other.

I volunteer YOU to go first! :beer

onformula1
02-26-2015, 11:36 PM
Here I go...LOL

Think you want heavier clutch springs, but care about you left hand?

You can mix stock & heavy duty springs and come up with a "Medium duty" spring set.

ONLY do this if you have a even number of springs in your clutch set up. 4-6-8 evenly space them out.

Don't try this on a odd set up like a 5 spring clutch.

I know people that do it and say it works fine, but bench testing by pulling the clutch lever in & out why looking at the clutch assemble and you will see it off kilter. Don't risk the extra wear.

El Camexican
02-27-2015, 12:11 AM
On dedicated asphalt drag machines we would pull the seals out of the wheel bearings and just shoot a little WD-40 once in a while instead of using grease.

Some guys would have a member of their pit crew wiggle the brake calipers to loosen them up after the burn out to reduce drag.

I always wanted to try filling my frame and tires with helium:lol:

onformula1
02-27-2015, 02:17 AM
On dedicated asphalt drag machines we would pull the seals out of the wheel bearings and just shoot a little WD-40 once in a while instead of using grease.

Some guys would have a member of their pit crew wiggle the brake calipers to loosen them up after the burn out to reduce drag.

I always wanted to try filling my frame and tires with helium:lol:

And if you use a standard chain over a O-ring chain or X-ring chain you will gain 1-2 HP on a crank dyno. :lol:

thcowboy
02-28-2015, 05:17 PM

So on my 1982 200 big red the open side of the spark plug would face the front of the engine, or towards the exhaust header right?

onformula1
02-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Aye theres something called medical marijuana

So on my 1982 200 big red the open side of the spark plug would face the front of the engine, or towards the exhaust header right?

Yes, you got it.

El Camexican
03-02-2015, 09:03 PM
And if you use a standard chain over a O-ring chain or X-ring chain you will gain 1-2 HP on a crank dyno. :lol:

I assume that would be only when the O-ring chain is cold, right?

onformula1
03-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I assume that would be only when the O-ring chain is cold, right?

You don't use a chain on a "Crank dyno"...LOL

El Camexican
03-02-2015, 09:23 PM
You don't use a chain on a "Crank dyno"...LOL

LOL! Got me good there!:beer

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Ronnie, YAMAHONDAMAN told me and Mike DEEPa to use a good sharp punch and put like 5 evenly spaced dings in the lower case where that base gasket is.

He said they do suck in and this was an easy fix!!

Great stuff here guys.

Just a suggestion, everyone take their brake calipers off and see how the slide pins are; Use silicone grease on those, It helps with drag and even stopping pressure!...

90nut
03-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Don't know if this had been covered as I didn't re-read the thread. But when you put together your front end put your,trike on a stand leave all parts loose, place on ground and give it a few good rolls and compressions and lift it back up and tighten up yer front end. Learned that one from my suspension guy on mx bikes. Really does make a difference.

onformula1
03-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Ronnie, YAMAHONDAMAN told me and Mike DEEPa to use a good sharp punch and put like 5 evenly spaced dings in the lower case where that base gasket is.

He said they do suck in and this was an easy fix!!

Great stuff here guys.

Just a suggestion, everyone take their brake calipers off and see how the slide pins are; Use silicone grease on those, It helps with drag and even stopping pressure!...

Good mod, on big bore or high compression engines we equally place divets with a automatic punch on the base and head sealing surfaces (4 surfaces total)

No more blown gaskets.

onformula1
03-03-2015, 01:26 AM
Don't know if this had been covered as I didn't re-read the thread. But when you put together your front end put your,trike on a stand leave all parts loose, place on ground and give it a few good rolls and compressions and lift it back up and tighten up yer front end. Learned that one from my suspension guy on mx bikes. Really does make a difference.

That works great, I tap a short flat screw driver between the pinch slot, put the bike/trike on the ground, hit the front brake and compress the forks a few times, pull the screw driver out and torque everything.