PDA

View Full Version : 84' Honda 200es Starter Question

R-N-D
10-19-2014, 01:01 AM
Went to start my ES today using the electric starter and all I got was a single click. Neutral light went out immediately after and nothing. Light went back on and tried it again only to have once again, a single click. So, my question is: Is the starter bad, or is there something else that I need to do or check? Or, do I need a new starter? And, if so, any suggestions on one? Thanks.

Crazyktmmatt
10-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Can always put power to the starter and see if thats it.

Check and see if the battery terminals are tight/ clean
If not take apart the starter button and clean the contacts.

After that the starter solenoid might be acting up

Chopsaw
10-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Start simple , make sure you have a good charge on the battery . Pull the rope , turns over ? Check the ground .

Big G
10-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Off topic but what type of tires do you have on your rig?

R-N-D
10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Kenda Bear Klaws. And, I love em'. Saw them on another member's BR and had to have them.

R-N-D
10-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Ok, so here's where I stand currently: I made sure that the battery is fully charged. When I turn the ignition to on, Neutral light comes on, headlight is on and then when I go to hit the start button, CLICK and the headlight goes out along with the Neutral light. About 5 seconds or so later, both lights come on again. I also tried using my winch which is directly connected to the battery and nothing happens other than the same issue with the Neutral and Headlight. Any ideas?

Crazyktmmatt
10-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Connections are lose some where.

R-N-D
10-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Connections are lose some where.

Obviously the battery connections are tight so any suggestions as to where I should start? This is not really my thing so I'm always learning as I go. Thanks, I certainly appreciate the help.

R-N-D
11-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Fully charged battery and when I go to start it, several clicking noises. Bad starter or bad solenoid? Suggestions or solutions? New starter or can I change the solenoid?

Chopsaw
11-26-2014, 10:13 PM
I would guess that either the battery is bad , ( go have a load test done on it ) or you have a dirty or loose ground at the frame .

Jmoozy27
11-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Use a flathead sd and jump the solenoid if your starter turns then you know it's the solenoid not engaging and go from there

Russell 350X
12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Agreed. The solenoid's are cheap as well.

R-N-D
12-02-2014, 12:58 AM
I'll do a load test on my battery and go from there. Even though it shows a charge, I think that it may still be weak. But, I'm gonna go with the connections as well since the last time out I go it quite muddy. I'll give an update as soon as I can get a handle on this. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure my troubles aren't over yet. I'll be back...