PDA

View Full Version : Upright winter storage OK?

atctrike
10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
any harm in 202924storing these trikes this way over the winter?

M.Pargiello
10-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Who stores a trike during winter? :)

tri again
10-15-2014, 04:33 AM
any harm in 202924storing these trikes this way over the winter?
My only concern is gas tank rust.
It's either full or bone dry with the cap off (esp in a heated garage) for me or they rust.
Fill 'em with carbon dioxide?
idk. No oxygen, no rust.
Heck, maybe they won't leak when full if the caps are good.
I just don't like the models with fuel lines and no shut off directly on the tanks.
Hard to trust fuel lines in storage.
ps - M.P we run ours all year too, great fun in the snow dontcha know.

f76
10-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Silly Sally you don't store trikes during winter, you ride them! Then laugh when snowmobiles wont drive on roads or such while you drive away smiling. Oh and be sure to laugh when snowmobiles get put away for the season. Lot of money to have sitting around to use for 2 weeks out of the year.

I suppose to offer some help on the subject, I would suggest draining the oil from the crankcase if you're going to store them like that. And if you're worried about fuel in the tank, take it off for storage and store it however you see fit for rust prevention.

atctrike
10-15-2014, 01:02 PM
OK! OK! I'll ride the hell out of em this winter! Just looking to take up less space in my shop when i'm NOT riding them. Thanks for the advice, and by the way, that's MR. Silly Sally to you f76! :p

BOB MARLIN
10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
I believe Honda designed them to be stored like that. I can't see why there would be any damage caused by it. The owners manual states you can transport them that way if you drain the gas.

DohcBikes
10-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Let's see, you're in Kansas, so I think the best way to store them is one state north in my shop.... plenty of room here and I'll take great care of them! :D

Stand em up if you want. Drain the carb and tank, run it till it shuts off, spray wd_40 in the tank, change the oil in the spring. But, ride em instead.

crackshot
10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Storing them causes problems than rather riding or running them once in a while. O rings and seals dry out then leak. Believe me, I am right now waiting for parts to arrive because up extended storage.

cap
10-16-2014, 12:16 AM
A good run to operating temperature at least once a month will save lots of grief. I try to do this with all my small engines (weed whackers, generators, chainsaws etc), not just motor vehicles.