PDA

View Full Version : 1986 and 1987 atc 200x differences

Xander
10-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I wanted to come up with a list of differences between these two machines, here is a list of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. If I have missed anything, please add to it.

red swing arm
gray swing arm

white tank shrouds
red tank shrouds

painted cylinder fins
polished cylinder fin edges

ATC on rear fender
200x on rear fender

Honda atc200x on front fender
200x on front fender

no honda emblem on lower triple tree
honda emblem on lower triple

key switch/ dash
no key switch

nothing on side of seat
atc on side of seat

large kick starter rubber on fender
small kick starter rubber

large kick starter shaft diameter
smaller

p/v on tires
pro vector

fender brace clamps seperate
fender brace clamps welded to brace

seat latch/ fender brace yellow zinc
painted red

different fender brace to keep fender away from exhaust

lips on rims are rolled
lips are left open

tire preasure sticker on rear fender
none

third gear is smaller
larger

rear upper engine hanger is white zinc
painted red

200x across tank
honda wing on tank

slightly different carb jetting

paper air cleaner foam pre-filter
foam filter, metal cage

triple tree nut has flange and large hole for vent hose
nut uses washer and has small hole

200x on back of rear fender
atc200x on back

regulator has different plug
regulator has two wire plug

engine skid plate is larger
is smaller

gear shift plat is more heavy duty
lighter duty

no case saver
case saver

different clutch lifter rod

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
That's pretty dam good!! And I LOVE those 87 tank decals!!

That 3rd gear slight change is not worth the compromise of the metal lost within the gear hub itself. I have 3 87 motors, all with "I don't know whats wrong with the gearbox??" I love buying those. And why can't every owner realize that the cranks have LH threads. I have about 8 destroyed RH threads that are backwards threads.

Also, I HATE that gearshift plate!! It shifts so positive but it seems as if Honda hardened these just a bit too much. Did one year have shift lever "lightening holes" or was that both??

Both years with that oil drain, thank you Japanese engineer!!

Maybe the helmet holder was just one year; Maybe not, I forget!!

I just glanced at your changes; I'm not sure if you mentioned the clutch disengagement bushing being different. The 87 has a shoulder on it so it sits within a seat to separate the plates when the clutch hand lever separates the clutch plates. EDIT, I see where you said "clutch shifter rod". I guess I didn't understand what "rod" meanted but it's just Cahb Pahts or "carb parts" LOL. These guys all bust my balls.

Oil orifices in some dowel pins are changed to meter the oil flow differently, so wherever they are, the STUFF gets a bit more oil.

The larger diameter large kicker shaft has round holes and thew other year has elongated holes (forget which year is the one people want. But, I have bored a clutch case for the larger shaft and got a stock rubber coated seal sizes at my bearing shop so I didn't have to open that hole too.

The decompression seal is DC'd so my bearing shop gets me rubber coated dual lip seals that are 1mm less in width but the ID and OD are stock; and cheaper at the shop :lol: The clip for that shaft is gozo as well so I just use a regular circlid.

I think I showed a few of those items if you google "3wheelerworld 20 day build"; Or stuff Dirtcrasher in that search, reword it and you can find it.

I took pics mostly of the changes I'm fairly certain of.

I wish Honda left ATC on the seat sides and Honda on the back. I only have 2 backups :D

Did both years have the same fork boots number or accordions?? (lack of a better word :lol:

Good ol Honda, always making tiny changes in hopes to improve it!! I love those valve eccentric adjustment changes; Best idea ever!!

Honestly, when I build one, I never use the 87 3rd gear but always the kicker shaft and that seal I can buy. Opening that bore is chicken when you have a mill with an adjustable boring head; he he he he he he he !!!! 83/84 250R 35MM forks help allot as well!!

You covered this awesome (and I think it should be a sticky), great job!!; I think I have just a couple more written down but I have to find my "swap" book to check it out. Extremely good information on your part!! You bagged it very well!! I personally say THANK YOU!!

dirtwheels
10-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Yes, agreed, Excellent job. Couple of more...

The bushing where the rear brake caliper mount goes over that pin on the swingarm. On the 86, it has a c-clip holding it on and on the 87, it uses a flange on the back side so it cannot fall out.

The front brake cable stay that comes off the triple tree, the 86 uses a bolt and the 87 uses a screw to hold the back on.

The bushings on the engine skid plate are different. Hollow vs solid.

The bolts that hold the handlebars on are normal dished-head bolts on the 87 and finished chrome bolts on the 86.

The airbox lid on the 87 has a decal that says 'dry system' do not oil.

The frames are actually different. The 87 has an extra threaded hole for the rear fender stay bracket that you mentioned above while the 86 bracket bolts up in the same hole as the exhaust.

atc007
10-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Very well done fellas.