PDA

View Full Version : Water pump shaft burning

mohadib
10-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Hello,

I have taken my water pump off and notice blue discoloration on the shaft from friction. I have looked at the FSM for the ATC250r and cant work out what this shaft is riding on that is causing this bluing. Is there a bearing its riding on behind the balancer? Trying to figure out what I need to fix/replace.

I should also mention that the bearing in the crank case cover right behind the fins on the water pump was bad. It still turns, but feels very rough.

Thanks

250rRoostmaster
10-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Most the WP shafts I've seen all have some of that blue discoloration on them. There's nothing in the counter balancer that it rides on. The WP bearing keeps it all lined up. If your WP bearing is going bad and or your counter balancer bearing is bad then the WP shaft can move slightly inside the counter balancer and rub.

mohadib
10-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks Roostmaster. I got the balancer off today. When I look down in it I see a little lip that looks suspicious to me. I tried getting a picture, but my camera was not good enough to show the lip. I'll try with another camera tomorrow and see if I can do any better. The bearing on the balancer looks to be in good shape though. Thanks!