PDA

View Full Version : NY, NJ, PA guys....Ice Racing on Greenwood Lake this weekend

ChrisD
01-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi all!!!

In case anyone is interested. We will have our first weekend of racing in Northern NJ/Southern NY. There will be lots of bikes. Ice bikes and ATV. The threewheelers will show their dominance once again. For those that can't go, I will post video when I can.

We have the following ATV's confirmed, 4 ATC250R's, 1 TRX250R, 3 Banshees, and one LT250R. Plus whoever else shows. Possibles are another Banshee and 400EX. On Sunday, the Ice bikes will be there too.

If interested you can go to www.greenwoodlake.org for directions to the lake. We will be racing in front of Castle Tavern Restaurant on the lake's east shore.

You can PM me or email me if you are interested. It's a great time.

Trikeaholic
01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Chris, rumor around here has it, that the DEC has been breaking balls about Ice racing on our little lake. Looking for registrations, insurance, and also claiming that since snowmobiles also use the lake as a crossing, wheeled vehicles are not allowed. I think it was some young new DEC cops or state park police, (usually part time young kids around here) ever have problems with the law down there??

HemiChallenger71
01-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Sweet! Get some pics guys. I just took my 250R out on the ice for the first time today, there's some slushy spots but it's fun! more fun than a 4 stroke on the ice.

Here in MI I guess I have it nice because no-one hassles you out on the ice, and it's considered state land when it's frozen over and open to the public as long as rules are followed. There's not many rules either. The biggest rule is polluting and drunken operation of machines, if u dump a bike or car or anything in the lake cuse u fell through or whatever you can get very very large fines untill it is removed. On a lake by me, White lake, there's a TON of impromptu racing, hundereds of sleds and bikes and quads and 3 wheelers. Hell kids on pedal bikes are out there racing in circle tracks. It can get pretty crazy at times, but a lot of fun to watch and participate in.

smokinp
01-12-2004, 10:02 PM
it would be cool to see some pics and some videos after the races.

ChrisD
01-12-2004, 10:25 PM
The DEC has never been on the lake in the winter. Where we race is 1/4 mile from the NY, NJ border and we have never been bothered by anyone. The village Police patrol the up to the village limit, but do not have jurisdiction where we race. Last year, they came up and watched, but didn't bother anyone. I will probably head up to PA this week for registrations on my SX and 86R. My 85 is already registerred. I already have insurance anyway. It's never been a problem anyway.

AirManCam
01-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I want to see some videos and pictures get them posted brah!

JohnR.
01-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Chris,

I am in at least for Sunday. Its been a long time since I've been on the board so I just want to say hello to all. Anyone who is within a few hours drive should really come down and check it out, you'll be back the next week ready to race. DEC and/or Police never bothered us down by the Castle. You DO NOT need insurance to ride the lake, registration is "required" but I only have one of my machines reg'd. It is cheap and easy to do, I definitely recommend getting reg'd, it isn't worth the hassle. Like I said though, they know we stick to our ovals and they leave us alone.

John

REDMAN225
01-13-2004, 05:23 AM
cool...what day and what time?

JohnR.
01-13-2004, 10:29 AM
We are usually there both Saturday and Sunday. If you think you are going to come down you can PM me with your number and I'll give you details. It is very casual so we don't set a time or anything.

John

TimSr
01-13-2004, 10:31 AM
He lives!!!!! Just wanted to say hello JohnR! Come visit more often!

Jeb
01-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey JohnR! Welcome Back! Did you ever get that Cal-Fab swingarm installed on the KXT?

honda200sx
01-13-2004, 09:44 PM
I have been snowmobiling on Greenwood Lake since as long as i can remember and never had a problem. The last time Breezy had there winter carnival they had the police using there radar just for fun on the ice and a friend from the snowmobile club got clocked at 110 mph. I also remember riding in the Grand Union field.

NICKG
01-13-2004, 09:49 PM
is there enough ice? is it thick enough yet? i live just over the mountain by vernon nj, i would love to go!!!

ChrisD
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
The lake should be good. As of last Sunday, it was about 3-4 inches thick. It's supposed to be bitter cold the next couple days. Last year we went out when the lake was only 3" so this year we gave it another week. It was too sketchy.

A couple friiends walked on the ice already. Another friend had his bike out in the arm of the lake.

JohnR.
01-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Glad to be back, thanks for the greeting Tim and Jeb. I have been kinda wrapped up in a million other things over the past year (new baby, new truck, new job) so I haven't been around at all. Jeb, I haven't gotten the arm on yet but the axle is in. I want to polish the arm but I just have it tucked away for now. I haven't ridden it with the axle in it yet but I am dying to. I put it in late last winter and the lake gave out a couple of days later. I only have the studded tires and a pair of paddles for it since I almost never ride it in the dirt. Nick, you should definitely come down. I think Chris would agree that Saturday is going to be just a shake down run but we hope to tear it up on Sunday. If you know where Castle Tavern is just stop by around noon, if we are going to ride at another spot I'll post it here. Chris, my wheels arrived now I just have to get the trike down to the shop. It is too cold to work in the shed. Worst case scenario I'll slam it Friday night.

John