PDA

View Full Version : 83 200 Wheel Spacers

Mike Burke
09-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Had a fellow forum member suggest some 1.5" wheel spacers for my trike

I'm not sure what bolt pattern I have on my rims.....
1983 200
25x12x9 tires

I'm sure you guys know...could someone tell me ?

And would anybody know where to find a set of 1.5" wheel spacers that would fit ?

Thanks,
Mike

bumsted200s
09-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Your bolt pattern is 4/150mm. Could check eBay to see if there's any cheaper used ones available. FYI they ain't cheap probably will set you back $80 bucks minimum. Few different websites offer spacers, like denniskirk.com

Another way off getting around spacers would be to find some used 9" rear rims with an offset (like later 250 big reds). And a set off 4/110mm 300ex/400ex hubs. They'll slide right on. The cost of find 2 used rims and hubs might be tad cheaper than buying new wheel spacers if you look hard enough.

Brian

my wheelers:
1981 Honda 200 5-wheeler
1982 Honda 200 Hondapotomus
1982 Honda 185S
1982 Honda 250R
1984 Honda 200S
1985 Honda 200S
1985 Honda 200X
1985 Honda 200 auto-X

czac
09-09-2014, 02:31 PM
take off one rear hub, measure it across its face to determine its size, then go on ebay, find one of those metal shops on there who sell all different size steel and aluminum, email them and tell them you want a 1.5" block of (whatever, steel, alum, ..)
and you want it XXX inches round (what ever the size of your hub is)
and ask them to mark it in its dead center for you ...
buy two of them.
when they get to you, knock out the studs on the hub you removed,
lay the hub face down, perfectly centered on the chunk of metal you bought and mark the center of each stud hole.
drill out the holes for the studs / bolts
go buy 8 bolts long enough to go through the hub, spacer and wheel.
get matching lock washers and locking nuts (if they have them)
stick the hub back on the trike,
slide your 4 new bolts bolts through the hub from the back
Slide the spacer on, then the rim
install lock washers and nuts, tighten up good and tight
Go ride on!

**** EDIT look at the hub while its still on the trike, does the axle stick through it? determine how far and how big a hole youll need in the center of the spacer for it to fit over the hub without making contact with the end of the axle or axle nut. and determine if you have a way to cut out the hole or if you have a contact at a machine shop to do it for you.

that's how my 3" spacers are... they don't bolt to the hub, then the hub to them, they use long bolts, they go through the hub, spacer and wheel.
They work perfectly. just use lock washers and maybe the locking nuts with the plastic inside them...

DONT MAKE SPACERS OUT OF WOOD... they'll crack and break and it will be a sucky time for you. lol

czac
09-09-2014, 02:34 PM
.....this is why I wish I had a metal lathe or milling machine!!!!

Mike Burke
09-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions
I have a good friend that is a machinist .....I will have to talk to him and see if he can make a couple.

Now.........are they Worth all the work ?

Do they really make that much difference ?

hoosierlogger
09-09-2014, 08:06 PM
You will be surprised what three or four extra inches of widht will do for the stability of a machine.

czac
09-10-2014, 08:16 AM
oh yeah... I put mine back together last night and was buzzing the yard, it was easier to slide in the turns on dirt, it didn't have that, "Im going to throw your A** off me" feel to it... lol but, you'll really notice the difference when riding on pavement...lol it doesn't want to turn as well as with the stock width. but I find that if I need to make a sharp turn, I just stand up and sorta lean forward and all is well. but on grass or dirt, its a nice difference.