PDA

View Full Version : 350x exhaust on the left side

The Goat
09-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Has anyone done it?

I remember a true dual exhaust setup with one running down the left side, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Think it may work slightky better for what I'm working on.

jays375
09-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Goat you back in the game?Did you ever sell your 350x project?

rdonald1979
09-05-2014, 05:45 PM
They used to use 2 185 exhausts.

ps2fixer
09-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Another option could be the TRX350 85-86 head pipe (it comes out of the engine to the left). I would think the exhaust spacing is the same since the top end is very similar to the 350x. Head pipe of course goes to a single pipe, if you want true duals, then something else probably would work better.

Dirtcrasher
09-06-2014, 01:24 AM
This was a local friend that did this, didn't seem like he had any gains. My single SuperTrapp was much snappier and faster.....

slashfan7964
09-06-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd do it just for the looks alone, gains or not. The engine is too small to see any performance gains out of it. It's the same way with smaller V8's, a y pipe yields more useable low end torque then true duals.

ps2fixer
09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
I'd do it just for the looks alone, gains or not. The engine is too small to see any performance gains out of it. It's the same way with smaller V8's, a y pipe yields more useable low end torque then true duals.

Except... there is a point to dual exhaust on a v8... there is 8 cyls, instead of 1. From the little I know about v8 performance, I think the H pipe is the best of both worlds, better HP than straight duals, but you still get pretty nice low end torque.

The Goat
09-06-2014, 10:44 PM
This was a local friend that did this, didn't seem like he had any gains. My single SuperTrapp was much snappier and faster.....

No desire to do true duals, or even single to duals anymore....even though it is already made.

Running down the left side instead of right may save me 500$ for a remote resivoir yfz450 shock that I won't ever use given my now intended use.

I may be able to run the stock 05 shock with the attqched resi...if I run the exhaust down the left side.

Just have to test fit and see.

Thank you for the info on the 350d! Can't believe I had forgotten that old tank.

ps2fixer
09-06-2014, 11:12 PM
No desire to do true duals, or even single to duals anymore....even though it is already made.

Running down the left side instead of right may save me 500$ for a remote resivoir yfz450 shock that I won't ever use given my now intended use.

I may be able to run the stock 05 shock with the attqched resi...if I run the exhaust down the left side.

Just have to test fit and see.

Thank you for the info on the 350d! Can't believe I had forgotten that old tank.

Yea... that quad is a TANK! I have one lol, bought it purely because the top end is so much like a 350x, and I love how the 350x's run, but wow... it takes 20+ feet to turn the thing around with out backing up.

slashfan7964
09-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Except... there is a point to dual exhaust on a v8... there is 8 cyls, instead of 1. From the little I know about v8 performance, I think the H pipe is the best of both worlds, better HP than straight duals, but you still get pretty nice low end torque.

On an engine that has garbage heads that don't flow well stock it will produce more torque with a y pipe due to increased back pressure. Its no different than installing pipes that are too large

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Personally, I find a DG front pipe mated to a SuperTrapp silencer is the best free flowing and tuneable exhaust available.

Yees, they can be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to find but the SuperTrapp is out there with discs and a cone.

That DG 1st section of pipe also have a much better radius out of the cylinder for free flow; The DG silencer allows many gains but is obnoxiously LOUD!!

If you just want the looks then do as you wish to do. My old friend Brett (unknown user name, maybe 4 or 5 years ago with pictures) posted his up on 3Weeler.org, but their website has little to no traffic which is why we have allot of new people here at 3WW. You may be able to use Google and find his posts from A to Z in making that exhaust on the left side fit and fit well. I didn't follow it, so I'm unsure of how he did it or what he used. I had told him that I myself was opposed to that modification. But he felt he would have big gains with that setup.

DC

The Goat
09-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Personally, I find a DG front pipe mated to a SuperTrapp silencer is the best free flowing and tuneable exhaust available.

Yees, they can be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to find but the SuperTrapp is out there with discs and a cone.

That DG 1st section of pipe also have a much better radius out of the cylinder for free flow; The DG silencer allows many gains but is obnoxiously LOUD!!

If you just want the looks then do as you wish to do. My old friend Brett (unknown user name, maybe 4 or 5 years ago with pictures) posted his up on 3Weeler.org, but their website has little to no traffic which is why we have allot of new people here at 3WW. You may be able to use Google and find his posts from A to Z in making that exhaust on the left side fit and fit well. I didn't follow it, so I'm unsure of how he did it or what he used. I had told him that I myself was opposed to that modification. But he felt he would have big gains with that setup.

DC

DC, you are quite correct in that a true dual setup on this
this motor would hurt performance.

A dual to a single, then back to a dual would allow a much quieter exhaust at the expense of a little power.

What I am currently considering is something similar to swigin's exhaust, only running down the left side instead of the right.

The yfz450 shock I wish to use has an attacked resi on the top right, it will definitely interfere with the exhaust, possibly the frame too as it was built to accommodate a remote resi shock. Initially, I was fine with that. But now the bike will see a much more leisurely type of riding, and I'd like to avoid dropping 500 bucks on a shock that will use maybe 3 inches of travel...ever.

While some have taken the discussion into the realm of duals vs a single, I'm merely looking for pics of the routing down the left side....if anyone has done it. Honda did with the 350d...but they made the longest longtube header of all atv time for that thing.

I have a 400ex DG headpipe that has been made into a 2to1to2 setup. I'm thinking dump it out of the left side to a with very short tubes into a 2inch pipe straight to the back. Mid and top end are what I'm after as I'll be cruising between 40-65.

I have a brand new 600 street bike muffler begging to be gutted and used.