PDA

View Full Version : 200X Valves

MPNX2
01-11-2004, 10:39 PM
I just got my 200X motor back together and I am having some trouble getting the valves to stop making noise. According to my manual they are supposed to be .003 in. when cold. I have attempted to adjust them twice and they still are making noise. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this....Does .003 in sound right for the adjustment?? Thanks everyone..

hondaATCman
01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, if they are making a noise that means that they are loose and have extra clearance between the valves and rockers. As for your measurement, .003 sounds good to me and shouldn't leave that much clearance if they're adjusted correctly. Are you sure you're adjusting them right? If not, I'll tell you how to do it. Let me know

ATCMedic
01-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Iwould close them up to .002". I always use this setting and don't have any problems with it.

MPNX2
01-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Tp adkust them I bring the motor to TDC using the timing marks and the crankshaft bolt. Then I remove the inspection covers on the top of the cylinder head cover. I back the locking nut off with a 10mm wrench and slide a feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve. Then I tighten the screw down until the feeler gauge doesnt move and then I back it off until the feeler gauge can be moved out. Does this sound like the right way??? I will try .002 inches next....Thanks

samster143
01-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Is your cam chain adjusted correctly? Do you know how? Maybe the cam chain is worn out and there is no adjustment left.

MPNX2
01-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I adjusted the cam chain by starting the motor and loosening the 14mm adjusting bolt and than tightening it back up. Is this the correct way??

samster143
01-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Yes, that is correct! However, if the chain is worn out it will not tighten up. There are a two ways (I know) to see if it worn out all the way. #1 Pull the CDI cover and inside components off so you can see the chain, stick fingers in and feel for slop in the chain. Do this aftr you have adjusted it. #2 (RECOMENDED) Pull off your flywheel with a flywheel puller (or equviliant) now you can see a large portion of the chain, also you can now loosen the 14mm adj. nut and play with the tensioner (to increase slack or remove it). If the chain is worn badly you will see marks on the engine case where you are getting "chain slap". I had this problem once, I replaced all related components... chain, upper and lower sprockets, and both guide and tensioner.... now it is quiet! all parts only cost about $50. I hope this helps.

Crash104936221
01-13-2004, 06:45 PM
... If the chain is worn badly you will see marks on the engine case where you are getting "chain slap". I had this problem once, I replaced all related components... chain, upper and lower sprockets, and both guide and tensioner.... now it is quiet! all parts only cost about $50. I hope this helps.
just a bit off topic here lol
when my chain went it ate some of my case lol i will have to post a few pitures of the inside of the cam chain slot, run what have you

ok dont want to make ya feel bad but is there any play in the rocker arms themselfs? i would think the easyest way to tell would be to see if it twists side to side other then that i would try .002" and see what you get

Joe