PDA

View Full Version : What happened to ATV's, big and heavy these days!!

hawaiirider
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Just seeing what everyone thinks of new atv's coming out.
I cant believe how crazy they have got, a normal kids atv is 250cc, a normal atv is 450-800cc and weighs 400-1000 pounds, just crazy!

The sport quads are very powerful compared to our trikes except maybe the later 250cc' trikes but they weigh a hundred pounds more i checked.

The utility and kids quads are just nuts: a beginner quad is 250cc, that was a big bore in the 80's, all the power you would ever need! still is. No hill is a challange with these big bikes, our 185-250cc trikes big hills are a big challenge.

600-800cc monster atv's are the norm you see everywhere, there too big for alot of trails i ride and if you got one stuck by yourself your just done period, they seem more like a truck then a 4 wheeler to me, not light, not manuverable, wont fit in a small truck, but dam are they powerful!

1960'S - dirtbikes only, honda atc in 69

1970's - atc 90 and 70 only, 90cc did the job for any size adult and was fun

1980's - things went wild, was great for trikes and quads, 350x was big bore king of era

1990's things died out, 400-600cc heavy utility quads coming in age

2000's - good sport quads coming back out, motors getting huge 700-1000cc but what for?

2010's - who know what will happen, i wouldnt buy a new bike, sticking with trikes but there so popular now they have lost there rare appeal to me.

bigred22
08-05-2014, 04:50 PM
a buddy of mine bought a polaris 1000cc four wheeler a few months back, he also bought an extra set of wider rims and tires for it, the first time i saw it, all i could say to myself was "good luck getting that thing down the trails", tons of power but are they really practical?, i'll stick to my 250es's, and my little 220 bayou, i still think the smaller atv's are more fun for a wider range of riding styles.............

atc007
08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
I too was appalled for awhile,and as a dealer, stubbornly wouldn't even stock/sell them. I will tell you this :) :) Until you've mounted a Outty 800 or 1000 and blasted trough a field in a 60 MPH wheelie ,,IN 4WD, :)then out through the woods,blazing over stumps,logs and rocks that would bottom out ANY 3 wheeler,and 90% of any other quads. The smile on your face damn near needs surgery to remove. Embrace all the different things in life :)

6speedthumper
08-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I cannot get into the new models at all. I prefer all older models, and smaller displacement bikes. Honestly, I can ride a smaller displacement atv or trike harder because it's easier to control, and keep in the powerband. To me, that is satisfying. These new utility quads are gargantuan! Every single one has a super wide set, that, for me, hurts my hips. They feel so bulky, and, like today's passenger cars, they all look the same. More and more electronics make them more prone to breaking down, or water damage, in my opinion. I prefer carbs and a simple ignition system. Although, I have a crush on the KFX450R.

joesouth
08-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I went to a dealer and thought man are those big. Then I looked at the price, WOW.

nachop
08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Actually, beginner atvs are still well under 250 ccs...well, at least those intended for riders under 16. They have a large label warning you about this to protect themselves from lawsuits. Big bores ARE nice. I have a KFX700 and a TRX700XX. They are very stable, and they WILL get it. However, it is true that the smaller displacement, lighter machines will generally out maneuver their larger counterparts. If the trails are super tight and twisty, my son's TRX250EX and my 85 ATC250R will run circles around the larger atvs.

hawaiirider
08-05-2014, 07:50 PM
i guess its matter of opinion
i like a bike i ride on not in, and a bike i can overpower not overpower me, oh and especially pick it up get it unstuck so i can ride alone, new atvs are just wierd to me, the sport ones are fine though they are light and powerful, 450's that is

christph
08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
To each his own. I have a number of modern 4-stroke quads, a KTM 525 and LTR 450, and I love the power. I would estimate my 525 is around 52 hp and my LTR is around 48 hp, and they are not even max out as far a mods. Unfortunately they have kinda ruined my enjoyment of my 200X, which is probably around 16 hp. Every time I stab the throttle on my 200X I'm thinking, "Where's the acceleration?" Now my 200X is more of a nostalgia machine. I'm keeping it because I had one as a kid.

6speedthumper
08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
I remember when a 250 sport quad, 2 or 4 stroke, was the cat's nuts. Now, they are all considered, new or old models, kid's quads, and anything 400cc+ is the normal size for an adult. Or, anyone that wants to "prove" they can handle something.

In the end, my old 88 Honda TRX300FW will go through anything these new 1000cc monster 4x4's will, providing I don't try to go in an 8' deep mud hole(which I never go through more mud then necessary). It may not be anywhere near as fast, but, on the trails, I can ride faster simply because of size. Oh, another thing I cannot stand about nearly all of today's utility and 4x4 quads, is the damn CVT transmissions! Give me a foot shifter, with or without a clutch, and I'm a happy man :) It will almost never break. And, semi-auto quads, the mulitplate clutches last just about forever.

hawaiirider
08-06-2014, 09:47 AM
yup i think its a matter of opinion, when people ask what size my trike is and i say its 200cc they look at me like i must be new...

Ghostv2
08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
The biggest size bike I own/owned is a 225dx. I see no reason to get anything bigger than what was offered by Honda ATC's. Where I ride I will never top out In speed on the trails. You can only go so fast. Every single "200" I owned got me where I needed to go no problem, 200s, 200x , 200e. I never owned the smaller ones. Granted I will be looking to get a 350x or 250r.

I'm young so everyone I ride with has the latest and greatest 450's. I can keep up with them perfectly fine on my dx. You can only go so fast. It's just more bike than you need.

Like everyone else said, I ride alone mostly and I don't want a 1000 pound quad to lug around. It would be fun to own or ride one of the new utility quads just because of all the stuff you can do with them and accessories. I'm a hunter and fisherman so it would get used. But why would I pay $10k for a quad? I'll buy a truck and have money left over for a couple trikes.

86Rrider
08-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I think that the trend with the huge quads is because the makers are throwing the snow mobile idea at them: don't make it handle better, just give it more power to launch over obsticles! Think about it- Polaris sold everyone on the CVT trans, to the point that Yamaha gave up on a shifting trans on their quads. Others followed. Now it seems to be almost a horse power / size war between Polaris and Can-Am. I agree with all of you that these machines are way to big, heavy, wide for trail riding. But, they sure can't seem to build enough of them for the demand!

I've ridden several new quads and they are "OK", but I've rode a 200X and now my TRX250R for too many years and the new stuff is just boring to me. You try and shift your weight around to get a 800 Grizzly or 1000XP Sportman to react and change direction- won't happen! Sorry, I like steering with the throttle! Oh, and every time I hop on my '75 ATC 90 and take it for a spin, it still puts a smile on my face.

hublake
08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I don't know the width of any of todays big quads, but in Michigan the maximum width of ATV trails is 50 inches. My 85 big red just squeaks by in some places I have been.

Keepah Rolln
08-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Just seeing what everyone thinks of new atv's coming out.
I cant believe how crazy they have got, a normal kids atv is 250cc, a normal atv is 450-800cc and weighs 400-1000 pounds, just crazy!

The sport quads are very powerful compared to our trikes except maybe the later 250cc' trikes but they weigh a hundred pounds more i checked.

The utility and kids quads are just nuts: a beginner quad is 250cc, that was a big bore in the 80's, all the power you would ever need! still is. No hill is a challange with these big bikes, our 185-250cc trikes big hills are a big challenge.

600-800cc monster atv's are the norm you see everywhere, there too big for alot of trails i ride and if you got one stuck by yourself your just done period, they seem more like a truck then a 4 wheeler to me, not light, not manuverable, wont fit in a small truck, but dam are they powerful!

1960'S - dirtbikes only, honda atc in 69

1970's - atc 90 and 70 only, 90cc did the job for any size adult and was fun

1980's - things went wild, was great for trikes and quads, 350x was big bore king of era

1990's things died out, 400-600cc heavy utility quads coming in age

2000's - good sport quads coming back out, motors getting huge 700-1000cc but what for?

2010's - who know what will happen, i wouldnt buy a new bike, sticking with trikes but there so popular now they have lost there rare appeal to me.

The 350x was great but don't forget the 1987 Yamaha 350 twin banshee!!! My opinion this stole the show for the rest of the 80's. My dad bought one new in 87 and it was a game changer for us to have so much power at such a young age. I still remember my dad changing gears while in full doughnut mode without loosing any spin and tipping it over many times bouncing off the wheelie bar while hitting the powerband by mistake in 3rd gear...I'm going to own a 87 again someday!!

Frankencelery
08-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I'd never own a quad at all until last week. I bought my wife, who really wanted something more stable, a 2008 Honda Rancher. This dealer didn't carry anything with a foot shifter, I kid you not. What's up with that? Anyway, I went with the electric shift, because it was a Honda and what could go wrong? Well, try not shifting at random times. See my rant about this in Quad Central? So it's back at the dealer and they're working on it. They've got to put a code reader on it and see what the computer says. Wait, what? The good news is that this particular dealer said in no uncertain terms that they would take care of it, which is a breath of fresh air. Anyway, I was going to say, this machine is 550lbs dry, and this is a SMALL one!

I ran into a couple of these huge UTVs or whatever they call them while on vacation in MN last week. They take up the whole trail. I keep looking at them, and a part of me thinks they're really cool, but another part says "Hey, if I wanted a fricking Jeep, I'd buy a Jeep!" :lol:

6speedthumper
08-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I'd never own a quad at all until last week. I bought my wife, who really wanted something more stable, a 2008 Honda Rancher. This dealer didn't carry anything with a foot shifter, I kid you not. What's up with that? Anyway, I went with the electric shift, because it was a Honda and what could go wrong? Well, try not shifting at random times. See my rant about this in Quad Central? So it's back at the dealer and they're working on it. They've got to put a code reader on it and see what the computer says. Wait, what? The good news is that this particular dealer said in no uncertain terms that they would take care of it, which is a breath of fresh air.

I ran into a couple of these huge UTVs or whatever they call them while on vacation in MN last week. They take up the whole trail. I keep looking at them, and a part of me thinks they're really cool, but another part says "Hey, if I wanted a fricking Jeep, I'd buy a Jeep!" :lol:

Got to love foot shift!

hawaiirider
08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
im in agreeance with ghost, if you want a atv thats the size of a jeep and cost as much might as well just buy a truck, can do alot more with a truck, carry far more cargo and most of all drive it on the street, i just have no idea why a offroad only atv could cost 10k, ridiculous..

Ghostv2
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
im in agreeance with ghost, if you want a atv thats the size of a jeep and cost as much might as well just buy a truck, can do alot more with a truck, carry far more cargo and most of all drive it on the street, i just have no idea why a offroad only atv could cost 10k, ridiculous..

Well you have a good point but what I meant was I would buy a truck with that money because I need a truck. :lol: I drive a minivan and it sucks. So I've been looking for a cheap small truck like a ford ranger or Nissan or something. 4cyl 5spd. Just something good on gas and enough to haul the bikes around. Plus I'd have money left over to buy the big boy trikes.

BUT, you got a good point. That's what it ment. ;)

dman10
08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Like my uncle said, It's stages. The trikes were the first stage, small quads came next, then larger quads, and next will/is the UTV

oldskool83
08-07-2014, 12:31 PM
depends how much you want to pay to brash trees at 15mph.

I would rather see a larger motor in a smaller sized quad as most of these things do not need to be race ready 50" wide for the trails.

86Rrider
08-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I agree with you guys - Polaris RZR 1000 XP - 4: $16,000 out the door price! I could build a heck of a jeep for that money! The other one I do not get is people pay that for these, then here in Michigan, go buy and install all the stuff to make it road legal! Windsheild, windsheild wiper, horn, turn signals and D.O.T. approved tires. So $16K for the machine, then $2K in accessories to make it legal plus now insurance and state license fees???? Don't get it. Go pick up a Suzuki Samari for $4K and have a better set-up.

But, on the other hand, I have been looking at the RZR 540 and now the Honda Pioneer 500 for my wife. She has a shoulder injury, so anything with handle bars won't work for her. So a steering wheel is her only option and these machines will fit down the 50-inch wide trails.

fabiodriven
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
To each their own.

BUT, one must remember the community being addressed here. There is a reason why we're all still on trikes and others are not. I might venture to guess that a good portion of UTV owners are the very same people that sold their ATC250R's to us and bought a TRX or a Banshee. Of course those massive quads and UTV's aren't for us, which is why we're gathered here to have this discussion.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, this country is driven by excess. The bigger and better your stuff is, the higher your status is, the more popular you are, the prettier girls you get, and so on. I could have a giant quad or UTV if I wanted one but I don't. I like trikes. If a UTV guy doesn't like that he can go somewhere else, I don't care. However the giant quads and UTV's can have an effect on us and the environment because of their huge footprint and weight. Trikes don't have nearly the impact.

Another thing, most of America is big, fat, and lazy. Not long ago our trike group came upon a group of 4x4 guys in the woods. I'm fairly certain most of them wouldn't have even fit on my machine and God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

Frankencelery
08-07-2014, 02:24 PM
God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

Ok, THAT's hilarious. People type "LOL" all the time for no reason at all, but I actually laughed out loud at that one. At work! People looked in at me and asked if I was all right. I told them I was watching cat videos.

Best quote of the year, Fabiodriven. Can I put it as my tagline?

fabiodriven
08-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Haha, go for it buddy!

Frankencelery
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Ok, done! Should I leave the part giving you credit (or blame, depending on your point of view)?

:D

bad_boy_y
08-07-2014, 07:28 PM
A big side by side are bigger than a suzuki sidekick and stay stuck in vtt trail it's rally car.

HoustonAE2
08-07-2014, 07:35 PM
"Hey, if I wanted a fricking Jeep, I'd buy a Jeep!" :lol:

Which is what I did! I got into Trikes through my Jeep JK. I mean spending 10k on a quad when you can get a YJ or CJ for that is nonsense.

6speedthumper
08-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I do think that side by sides are cool, and would love to have one for the farm. But, they are too darn expensive! Even the Yamaha Rhino knock off from Massimo is 8k. I can't get over how much these suckers cost and how much more money people dump into them, right off the show room floor.

Like I said earlier though; I have not had any issue with these monstrosities on the trails... Yet. When we last went to Hatfield, back in May, one of the guys in our group had a John Deere utv. Not one of the sport models though. More like the sport/utility cross. Anyway, it was really neat to see how that thing reacted so differently then how our quads did. Wish I dad my X finished then :/

You have to admit though, watching these morons is freak!n hilarious!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFTOnKFvIs

Pitbilly
08-07-2014, 09:34 PM
They really are getting too big and heavy....I can understand the power demand but the size and weight of these machines really takes away from the riders ability to control the machine....I have friends with Polaris Xp 850s. They have good power but man if that baby landed on you your screwed...like others have posted I like machines I can toss around....here in New England there's not a lot of places to utilize 850cc's

El Camexican
08-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I want a clutch
I want a manual shifter
I want to be able to lock my brakes up without a computer second guessing my decisions
I want a peaky engine with a narrow power band
I want a vehicle that I can lift out of a mud hole without calling AAA for a tow. I want to smell and hear my exhaust
I want to be able to fix what I brake and not just replace it
I want to HAVE to stand up and speed pray when I realize I'm about to hit a big rock, or log

Not because any of this is "better", than what some of these new behemoths offer, but because I want to DRIVE my vehicles, not ride them as some mysterious black box makes all the decisions for me. All that's missing on some of these beasts is a "BigBrotherMobile"decal.

bigred22
08-09-2014, 06:37 AM
They really are getting too big and heavy....I can understand the power demand but the size and weight of these machines really takes away from the riders ability to control the machine....I have friends with Polaris Xp 850s. They have good power but man if that baby landed on you your screwed...like others have posted I like machines I can toss around....here in New England there's not a lot of places to utilize 850cc's

my buddy stopped by yesterday, that i mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, with his xp1000, i asked him to try to climb out of the creek bed where i was starting to make a crossing at and have not yet finished, about a 3 1/2 foot bank that i was digging by shovel to get an angle to be able to get out of the creek, he started up the bank and slowly tried to get up and out of the creek but it wasn't going to happen, then the belt started to smoke, i was surprised to say the least, i feel his old honda 350d would have done better, granted he was trying to do it at a slow pace, but i feel this where lighter, semi auto machines really shine................

6speedthumper
08-09-2014, 10:07 AM
my buddy stopped by yesterday, that i mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, with his xp1000, i asked him to try to climb out of the creek bed where i was starting to make a crossing at and have not yet finished, about a 3 1/2 foot bank that i was digging by shovel to get an angle to be able to get out of the creek, he started up the bank and slowly tried to get up and out of the creek but it wasn't going to happen, then the belt started to smoke, i was surprised to say the least, i feel his old honda 350d would have done better, granted he was trying to do it at a slow pace, but i feel this where lighter, semi auto machines really shine................

A 350D will go through about anything. Same with the old TRX300FW. Two great machines, and about all you really need for work and play. Sure, they top out at 45mph (47 going down hill), so they're not going to satisfy speed demons out in the open. But, on a trail, they're hard to beat.

emmie357
08-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I just picked up my first large 4x4 quad last week, a 2000 Suzuki quadmaster 500. I can't believe how much larger and heavier it is.
Going down the trails I normally ride my YTM200 on I ended up having to go over a lot of stuff I would normally go around.

I'm also very concerned about getting stuck, because I can hardly push this thing around on flat ground.
But it did come with a plow, and that's the reason I got it, big heavy and 4 wheel drive should make an excellent snow pusher.

I'm also trying to adjust to not having to shift at all... kinda strange.

atc007
08-09-2014, 03:04 PM
I want a clutch
I want a manual shifter
I want to be able to lock my brakes up without a computer second guessing my decisions
I want a vehicle that I can lift out of a mud hole without calling AAA for a tow. I want to smell and hear my exhaust
I want to HAVE to stand up and speed pray when I realize I'm about to hit a big rock, or log

Not because any of this is "better", than what some of these new behemoths offer, but because I want to DRIVE my vehicles, not ride them as some mysterious black box makes all the decisions for me. All that's missing on some of these beasts is a "BigBrotherMobile"decal.

MAN!!! You need to get a ride out in the woods on a Can Am Outty 800 or 1000 !! Only supplies some of your list,but much more rush!

6speedthumper
08-09-2014, 07:25 PM
MAN!!! You need to get a ride out in the woods on a Can Am Outty 800 or 1000 !! Only supplies some of your list,but much more rush!

I'd be afraid of having a break down riding one of those, lol

hawaiirider
08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
i guess the big (est) question is what will atv's be like in another 20 years? will there be any atv trails left by then anyways?! one things for sure, ill still be riding a 250cc or under trike and leading the pack!

HoustonAE2
08-11-2014, 07:08 PM
mind you I live in Texas where we have an abundance of private off road parks that will never be shut down...but to go with the orginial thread, I remember thinking "Good God that is big" when Polaris came out with the Sportsman 500. I am happy with my 250sx, but if I got a quad I think I would stay between the 400 to 500 range...

El Camexican
08-11-2014, 10:47 PM

They have two more wheels than I like and one more than I need.

Caminofeld
08-11-2014, 11:32 PM
To each their own, but are these monsters really better? Let's compare...and everyone feel free to add...

Price: For the price of a 4x4 quad you could buy a used Jeep...For the price of a decent Big Red you could buy a power wheels Jeep. +1 Trike

Utility: Quads are front heavy and less prone to wheelie with a sprayer or other weight in the rear. The 4x4 is good for plowing, snow, and pulling. On a trike a skilled rider will make most jobs happen, but not without a little extra work. Sidenote: The right trike can tow like hell (AKA my KLT250). Either way, +1 Quads

Sport: Is a sport measured by the degree of skill required? Is sitting on the couch and playing COD the same as joining the Army? Some may argue, but I have yet to find ANY terrain that I couldn't follow a 4x4 through (even if it meant dismounting and floating full throttle through a mud hole). The difference is that the average consumer wants to feel extreme, but do it in comfort with minimal risk. A super stable couch on wheels with power steering requiring only a thumb muscle is a tourist attraction. If you're looking for sport by definition, the trike requires a far higher level of skill, critical thinking, and physical stamina to operate...and the right trike in the hands of the right rider will 9/10 times leave those 4x4's in the dust. +1 trikes

Safety: I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that the CSC had a conspiracy and made a perfectly safe vehicle illegalsauce. 3 wheeling is a dangerous sport/recreational activity that requires years of training to master...most people that think they can just hop on and turn the handlebars find out that when you grab a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro by the pigtails she'll kick you in the nuts. Trikes are deceptively complicated to operate and new riders should start slow and learn the basics...as most of us teach our kids, friends, SO's, etc. 4x4 auto-quads on the other hand are deceptively safe...so much that drunk people feel they can climb on, mash the throttle, and hit 60+ without a care in the world (or a helmet). This results in collisions, rollovers, and the occasional decapitation via barbed wire fence. Also, rolling a trike involves possible having a 200 lb or so vehicle roll OVER you...although less likely to occur, rolling or backflipping a quad involves having a 1000 lb vehicle land ON you. I call it a draw on this one.

Simplicity: Trail repairs on a carbed thumper with minimal electronics vs needing a code reader and specialized tools for a FI spaghetti nightmare? +1 trikes for the likelihood of A) breaking down at all and B) the percentage of breakdowns requiring a tow.

Weight: Stuck in a rut? pick up your trike and walk out...or hope your winch works on your 1000 lb quad. +1 trikes

Fishtails: Duh. +1 trikes

Wheelies: Duh. +1 trikes

Style: Duh. +1 trikes

So yeah, trikes win.

Frankencelery
08-12-2014, 07:41 AM
It's a fun passtime, bashing big quads, but not surprising considering our passion here. I never owned an ATV of any kind until just 10 years ago, but since then it's always been trikes. Mostly because they could be had for so much cheaper than quads, but also because they were different. The jury's still out on our first big heavy quad, because it's been at the shop having its overly complicated electronic shifting program fixed since we got it. Having said that, I can see the day coming that I won't bother to use the SX to pull a trailer full of cut wood around the yard, having to stand on the handlebars to get it to turn, because the quad will be easier. Each have their place.

Yamada
08-13-2014, 08:33 AM
When I'm riding a quad I'm always two wheeling it. I can't help myself... Am I the only around here doing it?

Frankencelery
08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
When I'm riding a quad I'm always two wheeling it. I can't help myself... Am I the only around here doing it?

You mean you're riding on 2 wheels, or you're in 2WD? :p

Ghostv2
08-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Or he means like doing a side wheelie. Like we do so easily on our trikes. 4 wheels gives you the false sense of security and you go up on two wheels when you don't lean enough.

Yamada
08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
You mean you're riding on 2 wheels, or you're in 2WD? :p

Riding on 2 wheels. On a 3 wheeler it is no big deal riding on 2 wheels, but on a quad you are in danger when riding on 2 wheels!

250rAL
08-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Only a couple people mentioned rolling one of those behemoths on top of you. I've been under most of the machines I've owned. What happens when you have 800lbs of machine on you? Can you get out from under by yourself or do you need help?

BIGREDFREAKE250
08-17-2014, 12:28 AM
i rode my 250es bigred alot more then my 4x4.you could throw the honda around and have more fun.im dieing for a 350x.

i run the 4x4 some but not as much as i did the honda.its just to heavy.i also have a sunl 200cc sports atv i run around.

Thorpe
08-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Well, let me be the odd guy out here, but ever since I destroyed my ankle, I have found a new appreciation for my big comfy wheelchair (Can Am Outlander) and 100+ mile rides are way less abusive to the body then 50-60 mile rides were on the BR or 350x... :wondering Dang, I am getting old!

6speedthumper
08-17-2014, 01:21 AM
Lets not forget the "K" turns a lot big quads need to make. You can whip a trike, or sport quad for the matter, around a hair pin turn on a mountain side. Try doing that on one of those 800+ pound 4x4's! Just the aggravation of stop, throw it in reverse, turn the bars and back up, stop, throw into forward, turn the bars and complete turn, would annoy the heck out of me.

The Goat
08-18-2014, 12:38 AM
...while I have sold my 800 sportsman, and am back to trikes, I can't help but laugh.

Put 200 miles in a day on any trike and youll be hurting. I did a few rides that long on my sportsman riding two up toting an icechest full of water...got off comfy. Not to mention the power is unreal.

For mud, give me a 300 honda on light 30s. For trail riding...Ill take my zuke these days. AC and no briars tearing me up.

tri again
08-19-2014, 01:20 AM

I wouldn't mind a subaru brat.
4wd and a HEATER and street legal. with a 90 or 2 in the back.

ps2fixer
08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I grew up on a 1999 Yamaha 350, fairly fast but nothing like a 350x trike. My first trike was a 84 200es big red, i'm a speed demon, however, I found myself riding the atc way more, actually.... i rode it so much more that the warrior needs the carb cleaned from sitting so long, been sitting probably 8 years now, and my dad bought it new ^.^.

I can even compare the different probs with them,

Warrior:
rear end bearings, several chains/sprockets (it was mud bogged quite a lot), swing arm bearings, brakes x2 and still has no brakes, engine noises in the top end, smokes a little, hard starting, even when new, starter rebuilt twice. 1 set of tires.

200es big red:
1 set of tires (it came with oem tires with good tread, just dry rotted and leaked), smokes a little (i beat the snot out of it since I do like speed, and I worked it 10x or more than it was rated for). High and low range is the best!

I used both machines a ton, each for about 10 years total now, both sit, but I know I can go to the 200es, drain the carb, put fresh gas in it, and it will still fire up, infact I did that about a month ago!

My dad owns a side by side, 680cc by honda (big red), it does ok, goes though some mud, but really nothing special in my book, he should have just bought a cheap small truck and a good set of tractor tires for it like I did... 1986 Toyota pickup with 30 inch trator tires. End result, both machines are about the same, except my is actually sealed with a heater, windshield wipers, and if I really wanted to, I could put DOT approved tires on it and drive it on the road. I'm not so sure if the honda would be able to hit the 270k miles the pickup has, that engine sounds like it is working so hard just to move, and the top speed of 40mph isn't anything special. Oh... I have $1000 total invested in my pickup.. my dad has $12k in the big red.

Ok.. my rant is over.

6speedthumper
08-19-2014, 09:02 PM
I grew up on a 1999 Yamaha 350, fairly fast but nothing like a 350x trike. My first trike was a 84 200es big red, i'm a speed demon, however, I found myself riding the atc way more, actually.... i rode it so much more that the warrior needs the carb cleaned from sitting so long, been sitting probably 8 years now, and my dad bought it new ^.^.

I can even compare the different probs with them,

Warrior:
rear end bearings, several chains/sprockets (it was mud bogged quite a lot), swing arm bearings, brakes x2 and still has no brakes, engine noises in the top end, smokes a little, hard starting, even when new, starter rebuilt twice. 1 set of tires.

200es big red:
1 set of tires (it came with oem tires with good tread, just dry rotted and leaked), smokes a little (i beat the snot out of it since I do like speed, and I worked it 10x or more than it was rated for). High and low range is the best!

I used both machines a ton, each for about 10 years total now, both sit, but I know I can go to the 200es, drain the carb, put fresh gas in it, and it will still fire up, infact I did that about a month ago!

My dad owns a side by side, 680cc by honda (big red), it does ok, goes though some mud, but really nothing special in my book, he should have just bought a cheap small truck and a good set of tractor tires for it like I did... 1986 Toyota pickup with 30 inch trator tires. End result, both machines are about the same, except my is actually sealed with a heater, windshield wipers, and if I really wanted to, I could put DOT approved tires on it and drive it on the road. I'm not so sure if the honda would be able to hit the 270k miles the pickup has, that engine sounds like it is working so hard just to move, and the top speed of 40mph isn't anything special. Oh... I have $1000 total invested in my pickup.. my dad has $12k in the big red.

Ok.. my rant is over.

Ah, I see I'm not the only one with a Warrior that is sitting due to a 3 wheeler! I completely rebuilt my 88 Warrior over a year and a half ago. Built my own +2 arms, WORKS front shocks, Banshee rear shock, +4 axle, +3 swinger, and a bunch of go fast parts. Rides like a Cadillac, and I'm never sore after riding it, and I ride 200+ hard miles out a Hatfield. Since I got my 350X together back in May, I think I've started the Warrior about 6 times! I love my 350X. Just need to do something about that rear shock :/

ps2fixer
08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Nice to have something in common with a member here lol, I have an 87 warrior sitting as well that I bought dirt cheap, I'm planning to throw a 350cc 1974 Kawasaki bighorn engine on it though, 2 stroke + rotary valve should be very interesting if/when I finish it, but first I have to finish the twin 500cc blaster mud machine... too many projects lol. Can't beat a 350x though, I own 2 complete bikes and have a spare engine that I might pop in a 87 250x sports quad frame to give it a shot.

Throw the warrior on craigslist, you won't ever miss it... you have a 350x, then use that money to buy a 2nd 350x :).

phantombiker
08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
mickey dunlap sent me a couple posters of him standing next to what he called "mudzilla". huge as he!! and, if i remember right, very costly, but impressive nonetheless. killer pic but you need to have $ to make one...did i mention he signed it? and a ball cap...my prize possessions...but, an awesome looking 4 wheeler. i still prefer trikes, though.

Ol Deuce
08-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I want a clutch
I want a manual shifter

Hahaha you can have it all ! that's the cool part of what we have!!! I love what I got ! I want MORE! BUTTTTTTTTT:crazy: I have NO More ROOM :rolleyes:

Crazyktmmatt
08-20-2014, 01:55 AM
i like about anything with wheels. Not sold on the monster quads...

My bil just got a Can Am outlander xt. Thing is HUGE. I dunno if it will do trails? I took him out and some over grown roads. He stood no chance against the atc 70....:D Even the wifes lil LT125 does better.

I bought a BR a couple months ago - its been kinda a lemon far as electronic issues so far. It runs now atleast. Im not sold on it either. Reverse is kinda nice tho. It will probally go away for a 200x I'm thinking.

Wouldn't mind having a Warrior or a Wolverine. I do really like the Big Bear, but the '03 kodiak my dad has is really nice to do stuff with. The front locker kinda spoils ya.

thcowboy
02-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Yeah its wierd going from a three wheeler to even 400 polaris fourwheelers. They are smooth... Have some power... Umm but i would rather ride my 200cc semi auto big red even though it has no suspension

hawaiirider
02-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't mind a subaru brat.
4wd and a HEATER and street legal. with a 90 or 2 in the back.

i own and still daily drive my brat, you dont see many because people destroyed them by offroading them. i use it offroad only as a rescue rig - if somebody breaks down - these days, since it has over 300000 miles, i dont want to kill it off. pretty sure its the same size and weight as a new 4x4 these days tho!! lol. i still agree if you want something the size as a new 4x4 buy a jeep, a geo tracker or a samurai, there street legal seat 4 people are the same size, cost far less too.

Dirtweed
02-17-2015, 11:17 AM
When I bought a quad last summer I thought it would be good to get a Rancher 420 4x4, but it was just soooooo darned big. Ended up with a TRX450R. Much more
fun to ride and toss around than the 4X4. Those 4x4s just feel like you're sitting on top of a tank.

Husky250
02-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Well nobody wants to hear my opinion but I will give it anyway. I was a Husky guy in the 80's and we absolutely HATED 3 wheelers! They turned beautiful NE Ohio singletrack into veritable freeways rutted out beyond belief. They completely decimated mud holes making them almost impassable. Well I have come around to appreciating those same 3 wheelers. I still have a couple 2 wheeled Huskys in the garage though. Todays oversized quads and Side by Sides are absolutely ruining any terrain they run across. They are a large reason why we are losing more and more riding area daily. The damage they can cause to an area combined with the insane amount of noise a modern 4 stroke can make when you are trying to milk more power out of it is simply unreal. We have an area we ride about 300 yards from our back yard. My son and I have been riding there for years, me on my Huskys and him on his raptor 125. Some moron on a quad has since found it and has made sections of it literally impossible for my son's raptor to navigate the area. I can't believe this is necessary! The original trail was 24" wide and is now literally 25 feet wide over and through any tree that dared grow in the path of the rider. 30 days ago the owner put up a gate to keep all users out. Thanks bonehead, but they don't care, they have moved on to another spot to close that down. That area is connected to the Indian Trails park Here along the Ashtabula River. Illegal riding on quads as big as trucks have destroyed entire trail systems for anyone but themselves. I race bicycles and triathlons, in additions to motos and the severity of the damage keeps me from even trying to go into the area on my bicycle. We actually bought our house because of the proximity to this area and now these quads have made it so I can't ride there. They are our worst enemy, not the legislation, not the land owners. We are reaping what they have sewed and the owners of these things are either too stupid to know what they have done or just care about no one but themselves. Either way it's a damned shame!

dirtfan07
02-17-2015, 08:05 PM
I like anything off-road but here's my evolution story:

I sold my 250R when I was 18 for beer money. Got into stockcar racing and never swung a leg over another atv until I got a call at work from my wife almost 20yrs later that she had bought a quad and I needed to pick it up on my way home. She wanted us to do something non-racing related together so I drug a 1983 Big Red out of my dads garage, got it running, and off we went. Dang I thought, this is pretty fun. Just like when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I could not keep up with her in the rough stuff due to lack of suspension so I had to upgrade. I found a nearly mint TRX200sx for what ragged-out 200x's were selling for and since her's was a 250cc, we would be about even. We had a blast that summer and I thought I would never need anything bigger.....Then I got the bright idea to hit this upstate NY ride called "SNIRT Run". We spent most of the day either turning around or having to push our 2wd's while the big 4wds had no problems. Now we needed 4wd but still wanted to shift. Next, I inhereted a 04 Wolverine quad. Perfect!! 4wd, sporty, and foot shift. I even had the Warn424 so I could ride in 2wd. Wife took one ride on that, sold her 250 and bought a identical wolverine. Now we had everything we needed... until my wolverine took a dump and I found a sweet deal on a Yamaha Grizzly 550. Ohhhh sweet baby, independent rear suspension!! Rode so nice I didnt care that it weighed twice as much and honestly, the only difference on the trail was my wife and buddy (on a rancher) couldnt keep me in sight. She liked the Grizzly so much, she bought one too but my buddy had to up the stakes and he bought a Outlander 650. Holy Crap!! That thing had twice the HP of my Grizzly and I couldnt stay with him. So I traded the Grizzly in on a King Quad 750 and thats where I'm at now EXCEPT I just bought a 1982 185s to have fun on. Guess I'm just saying I had every intention of never needing anything more than that Big Red and I ended up with a 750cc quad AND a 185s!! Best of both worlds!!

A few things though: Yes the beast quads of today are very heavy. My wife flipped hers last summer and it broke her back when it came down on her. My buddy got to her first and he could not get it off her by himself. That's when I realized just how heavy they are.

Yes beast quads are about the price of a pretty tricked out Jeep but you cant compare the 2. I'm involved in a group called Tar Hollow Expeditions. We do events for atv/sxs and for Jeeps. We use mostly the same trail for both. Jeeps take all day to do the 20 mile loop while the quads can do it in under 2hrs. Very few jeeps can go through the woods with the speed (which we all love) a quad or sxs can. Of note, our trails are steep, rocky, and tight. Might be different where you live.

Point is, I have both and I love both!!

Dirtweed
02-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Wow I hope your wife made out OK after the accident!

dirtfan07
02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
She was lucky; none of the pieces of the shattered vertibrae got into her spinal cord. She's got 6 screws and 2 rods holding it all together. Its healing slow and painfully BUT she has full use of her arms and legs. Doctor still wont let her ride, lol!!