PDA

View Full Version : Big All Balls Steering Stem Issues

NateN34
07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Hey,

So I just got around to replacing the steering stem bearings, with the aftermarket All Balls version. All seemed to be going well, until I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOgtg8yUPY

The bridge does not sit flush with the forks. There is about a quarter inch gap! Sure I could just crank the stem nut down and call it good, but I don't think I'd feel safe with the gap in there.

Here is how I installed everything:

Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

New2Tri-Z
07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
I dont know about your application specifiaclly, but I ran into similar issue when I replaced my Tri Z stearing stem bearings with All Balls kit. Seems that the top bearing stuck out about 1/4"+ or so. Once I put the dust cap on it covered it up so you could not tell. My set up is different as my stem is pressed in the lower tripple then up throught the neck into the top tripple. Then washer and nut. So the gap is still there on mine (just not visable) and it rides fine. I did a little searching around on the threads and found others with the same issue. Apparently All Balls makes these kits for multiple differnt machines so the the pieces are not necisarily specific to your machine. This way 1 bearing can be used in multiple applications. I would say you installed them corectly per your diagram. Maybe send inquiry to All Balls or give them a call. I have talked with them a few times and they are quick to respond and answer your questions.

Dirtcrasher
07-29-2014, 03:40 PM
These All Balls kits fit such a huge number of machines that no INSTRUCTIONS are included. And once the lower race is pressed on, removing their shim is impossible....

BOB MARLIN
07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
I have not been impressed with any of the all balls kits I've bought. Some of them have been so bad that I had to put my old stuff back in.

NateN34
07-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Well, this has been bugging me all day, so I did lots of research at work. Found out many other people have this issue, with all other kinds of vehicles, like you said.

Anyway, I believe it is like you say, not specific and made to fit many ATCs. Sort of frustrating. They seriously need to make some proper instructions and include them with each product.

I found a solution to my problem though. Basically I took out that washer that was on top of the dust seal....that didn't belong there anyway (goes on top of bridge), which reduced the gap in half. I then took a washer and put one on each side of of the fork (under the bridge) and this almost completely eliminated the play. Once everything was bolted down, it was solid and I believe it will work.

HOWEVER, that washer under bridge removed the play totally....so the gap is the thickness of a washer... That means the washer at the very bottom of the fork stems should not be there. Every tutorial says to add it, but those are for the 200X. For the solid-fork 200, I don't think you want that washer on the bottom.

Here is how I believe it should be:

Dirtcrasher
07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
All balls saw an easy market and that many models use the same parts.

So why spend money making instructions when you can sell a "learning kit" then the "I know how to install this now kit."

Many people have had to buy 2 kits!!