PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use permatex moto-seal?

3wheeledfanatic
07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm getting ready to assemble my 85 Tecate lower end and realized i am about out of yamabond 4. Anyone ever use motoseal? I have heard ultra gray was close to yamabond but curious if anyone has given the motoseal a shot. I really like the polaris crankcase sealant but my polaris dealership is going through some problems so I cant get it.

El Camexican
07-26-2014, 06:39 PM
code 29132? Seems to be a lot of happy users out there. Permatex makes good stuff.

YTZ drew
07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I have used Motoseal on honda 4-stroke head covers. Seems to be pretty decent, very similar to Yamabond, which I've also used. I'd definitely choose the Motoseal over any RTV-type product for sealing 2-stroke cases. RTV doesn't always handle raw gasoline very well, and you don't want an air leak in a 2 stroke bottom end.

3wheeledfanatic
07-26-2014, 07:49 PM
yup thats the stuff. i put a test bead on my cases, gonna see how it sets up overnight. it smells worse than yamabond
lol

6speedthumper
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM
3 bond grey usually does very well.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Yep... I have used Threebond with great success every time. Newer sled engine cases are sealed with a Threebond-like sealant from the factory. I have rebuilt sled engines and others that don't actually run case gaskets using it and have never had trouble. Just make sure mating surfaces are clean and dry. It is nothing like silicone based RTV, it's more like an adhesive.

I also use a thin coating for insurance on my cylinder base gaskets and reed cage gaskets. Not alot, just a bit.

3wheeledfanatic
07-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Where is the best place to get threebond? also which number is it, seems to be a lot of numbers when i google it

tri again
07-27-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm quite impressed with hi torque permatex grey.
Doesn't like gas, however.