PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Street Legal Big Red ATC200ES in FL

UFLBret
07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey guys,
I posted a couple months ago in the new member section but I am finally a full fledged member and thought some of you might like to see my 1984 Honda ATC200ES Big Red which is street legal and tagged in FL. I don't plan on riding it much on the street here in Gainesville but it's pretty cool that it is tagged. So a little background. I started riding 3 wheelers as a kid in '86 when I got my first ATC110 in PA. My cousin had a blue '84 110 on their farm in Reading, PA. I always loved that blue one. I've had a Blaster and also raced a Banshee in FL in the open class at Dade City and County Line raceway by Sarasota which has been closed for years. So I haven't had any ATV for a number of years now and since we moved to Gainesville a little over a year ago and hunting season is coming I decided to look for an inexpensive hunting rig. Found a couple of '84 Big Reds for sale on CL and decided to go take a look. Ended up buying both and a small trailer for a good price with the intent on selling one since the owner wouldn't separate. The one I had to have was a 1 owner all original (except Cobra pipe) super clean '84 that was actually street legal! The PO said he tagged it in 1984 and has renewed the tag every year since. He went to the DMV with me to make the transfer seamless and it was. It is now tagged in my name. It has blinkers, a functioning brake light, horn, and mirror. The only thing that it does not have for street purposes is DOT tires but I don't plan on riding much at all on paved roads.
The other '84 is also in very good shape although the seat cover looks home made and is some sort of felt. I have a new skin coming to replace that, and the starter seems to be frozen on it, although everything else works great.

On the street legal Big Red I have had an issue with the key switch and neutral light. Sometimes it will intermittently not work. When the neutral light doesn't come on, the headlight also does not function. It has me stumped. Sometimes if I jiggle the switch it will come back on. But when it doesn't function, the recoil starter starts the trike right up. After I ride it some then click into neutral, the light comes back on and everything works again. Does this sound like a bad key switch?

Here's some pics!

UFLBret
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Oh, the PO also threw in an original Hondaline ATC helmet in matching red color, with the original ATC decals on it. Pretty cool, although it needs a visor and is too big for my small noggin. :( I also got the original bill of sale and owners manual, and it has the tool kit under the seat still. I have since pulled off the winch on the front since it didn't work and weighed a ton. The front springs on both will need overhaul as they have a ton of stiction. I changed the engine oil and gear oil in the street legal one already, and put a new plug in. She runs like a sewing machine. Still have to do fluid change on the other one, as well as a new front bearing replacement, which I bought the parts already for it. Had an issue with the gas cap on the felt-seated one, found a vid on youtube and took apart the cap and cleaned it all out. Seems to be working good now but after I shut it down there is fuel leaking out the bottom of the carb. I think the float is stuck so will have to fix that. Both machines will get a good workout this Saturday out at the hunt lease while we set up our feeders and cut some new trails.

3wheelrider
07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I cant believe it!.........How the hell did they manage that? -even back then in Florida? WTF?? Id love to take short trips around here on my R! Though I'd still get pulled over for sure!

coolpool
07-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Nice score and with extra goods to boot! I like the idea of riding on the road but don't know if I'd like the handling on pavement for extended rides. Maybe DOT tires would help? The front forks were a weak spot on these; not sure how tight you'll be able to get them to be?