PDA

View Full Version : Vintage AMA Pro Racing footage from 1985 Miami national 250 and 200cc classes!

Billy Golightly
07-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Keith Salyer sent me this video on a dvd (had been converted from VHS obviously) and it took me a long time to get the thing imported, converted to a format for youtube, and then get it uploaded (Since it is over an hour long). I still need to go through a notate the video timings for the different classes, but they are;

Race #1: Modified Oddyessy
Race #2: 250cc Pro, Heat 1
Race #3: 200cc Pro, Heat 1
Race #4: 250cc Pro, Heat 2
Race #5: 200C 4 Stroke, Main.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGzm8Ba2AE&list=UUt20AbPkYHEItlHan2BZ93A

Enjoy!!

atc007
07-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Super huge thanx to Keith and Billy. I can't imagine the time this took to do. Will def watch sometime soon :)

Keith Salyer
07-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Great job Billy this was a huge undertaking. RS Video did these videos for the 85 season and I got one from Miami and one from the Porterville National out neer Bakersfield Ca. I cannot find it at this time but when I do I will get it to billy also. The camera quality is poor for todays standards so cut us some slack for that also the announcer will put you to sleep. Maybe Billy could do voiceover and rev it up a bit :) Just kidding and thanks for the tireless effort and so quickly after TF 14.

Joseph Farrow
07-20-2014, 04:09 PM
The 200 Four Stroke Class is Kick trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.
Just shows you how great Curtis Sparks was as a rider and an engine builder. :drool:
Thanks for Posting!

Red Rider
07-20-2014, 04:48 PM
...the announcer will put you to sleep.I was thinking the same thing as I watched the first race. And what about those riveting, trackside interviews?! Did they give every interviewee the same pair of sunglasses to wear? :wondering Funny stuff taking a peek back in time like this. Thanks for putting in the time & effort to get these up. :beer

The_Steve_Man
07-21-2014, 04:59 AM
That is awesome! Thanks Billy and Keith.
What bike was you racing Keith?

M.Pargiello
07-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Awesome! Definitely plan on watching tonight

slashfan7964
07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Awesome stuff! Look at those Tigers go!

atc300r
07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Thank You Keith and Billy .#2 Gordon Yancey pro 250 lives near me and last I talked to him he still had his Tecates this was in 09 . I first met him a a County fair we drag raced against each other.When I was on the Snirt Run in 09 I talked to him he owns a bar in the Tughill area Flat Rock Inn wich is one of the stops.He has the sleds on water races aswell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNVqtr4_nLY

Keith Salyer
07-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I am riding a 1985 250R with a Cammex 200 destroke kit with a motoplat ignition. I had an ignition failure a couple laps from the end of my heat and we thought we had it fixed for the main but it quit altogeather on the starting line for the main. You can see my trike on the sideline about every other lap of the main event.

ironchop
07-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Hey Keith.......thanks for finding that. I wanna see the other if you ever figure out where you stashed it.

Billy...thanks for converting it to digital and posting....this should be a sticky

THAT was THE BEST hour I ever spent on youtube (I haven`t finished watching the second half yet)

Curtis Sparks is greased lightning!! and I forgot all about the racing oddyseys....this thread made my WEEK.

Thanks y`all

Keith Salyer
07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, the odysseys don't look that quick but put a stopwatch on the #69 Cammex Car of Mike Baugus, his laps are right there with the pro trikes. His little Brother is in the unsuspended class with Cammex Motor and he was winning his class until he spun and ended up 3rd. Mike Park had just left Cammex for a ride with Tiger and he ran near the front in the 250's. #36 Gerald Tims from OKC won his 250 heat. No one could stay with Hart/White in the main. They were running 43-44 sec laps.

Joseph Farrow
07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I'll have to dig up some old pics of the Odysseys. The modified non suspended were hard to drive unless you were on flat ground. :P

The '85 race season probably had the largest number of racers. I would say it was the high point in 3 Wheeler Racing history. I can remember going to Loretta Lynn's and I bet it was close to 1000 racers with all classes combined.

shortline10
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
It was an awesome night of racing . A few pictures and flyers from that night !

Keith Salyer
07-22-2014, 06:12 PM
#19 Mickey Dunlap, #521 Greg Baker from Oklahoma, #31 Jimmy somebody. Those Aluminum Tanks look trick.

Joseph Farrow
07-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Jackie out front. Looks like Bobby Ecker in second.......I see #55 back in the pack.

Keith Salyer
07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
You guy's can pipe up if I am mistaken but I remember being told this facility was a figure 8 asphalt track that had sand hauled in to make the track. You will notice that the turns are worn down to the asphalt . There was still a skimcoat of sand on the surface so it made sliding not so difficult. It was one lined so passing was difficult which is why you see so much aggressive riding (bumping ect )

shortline10
07-24-2014, 08:45 AM
The track was mostly used as an oval stock car track But they had the figure 8 track for the crash entertainment LOL . I raced the whole season so had lots of time on that track in the video which was basically a few S turns and in center field and part of the hard original oval coarse which was black top .

Yeah Joseph that was the hole shot picture with all those pingers in front of me , Jackie #111 had ignition failure if I remember right so DNF and I worked my way up to a 3rd place finish in that main .

You guy's can pipe up if I am mistaken but I remember being told this facility was a figure 8 asphalt track that had sand hauled in to make the track. You will notice that the turns are worn down to the asphalt . There was still a skimcoat of sand on the surface so it made sliding not so difficult. It was one lined so passing was difficult which is why you see so much aggressive riding (bumping ect )

mjquadracer
07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
rs videos also had a video available from the Tacoma dome in 85. Man I wish I knew someone who had a copy. I asked marty hart at an off road race and he said he loaned them to some guy who hasn't done anything with them. I have a copy I was getting converted from Porterville but the business shut down all of a sudden, the tape is dark but the racing is awesome!

Keith Salyer
07-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Your Porterville video should be on the web for all to see. Any way you can get that done?

ceaserthethird
07-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Great Job, Loved the Vid !

Keep up the good work =)

Billy Golightly
07-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Your Porterville video should be on the web for all to see. Any way you can get that done?

I may be able to convert it even if it is VHS - but I DO NOT want to be responsible for the only copy if I do :)

Bad experiences with tapes ever since I was kid...:lol:

Keith Salyer
07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
My Porterville copy is just of me that I have/had. RS Video would record just individual riders ect. if you wanted it done. My heat has me seizing the motor a couple of laps in. My Semi has me leading a few laps until my motor let go again (in all the haste installed 2 sizes to small piston) and the main I rode amateur team mates trike that was a turd ( finished like 13th).

mjquadracer
08-04-2014, 03:35 AM
I finally got a hold of the old owner of the conversion place and I guess the new owner is in jail. Hes gonna get me my tape bacl and ill get it transferred over at another business. Nice to know people out there really care about watching these old races like me. One thing I got to tell you about this race is Steve Mendenhaul was a beast!