PDA

View Full Version : 82 250r broken frame, weld or part out?

ps2fixer
07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Hello!

I bought a 250r (i think it is an 82) and found out later that the frame was broken just behind the right foot peg. The engine runs great, wheelies in 4th no problem. I'm not so sure on how solid the frame will be after welding it though. I have an 83/84 250r that has an engine that needs the top end rebuilt, so an engine swap would be another option and parting out the 82.

So i guess my questions are, should I weld the frame (no.. I don't bubble gum weld lol), or part out the machine. It needs a bit of other work as well, besides several missing bolts, engine mount bolts (probably why the frame is broken!), and metal to metal brakes. And the second question is, anyone interested in 82 250r parts? Everything looks pretty good, tank (painted with small dents), fenders (looks painted, but no breaks), suspension, and such.

The 83 needs work as well, but no missing bolts and overall is a solid machine, just need swing arm bearings, axle bearings, front wheel bearings, and complete rear brake setup.

I have photos, but can't xfer them to me pc atm.

I guess another option is to buy a frame, but for the prices they go for (~$75 + 75 shipping), I'd rather buy a junker parts machine for slightly more and have 2 of everything. Too bad I never find them on Craigslist, except for $800+ lol.

oldskool83
07-16-2014, 08:23 AM
any 30 year old frame is just gonna do the same thing. sent it off to someone who knows what they are doing, gusset it up good, power coated it and go ride again.

www.hreatv.com he can do it right the 1st time.

I've taken him broken twisted messes of 200x frame and they come out solid and straight each time way nicer the factory.

ps2fixer
07-16-2014, 04:48 PM
That makes sense, I suspect the service and power coating isn't cheap though, I'm not looking to spend more than the machine is worth when I could part it out and buy a much nicer machine in the first place. It shouldn't be too bad replacing the section of frame effected by the break, I just question how well that would last without using more metal than oem had (basically a thick pipe ugly pipe vs a oem thickness one that matches the sizes better).

oldskool83
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
call hre if your wondering, you just scaring yourself before you even get prices, some welding and new paint wont cost jack. There is a reason all the tiger guys send him frames to fix lol...because he can fix the right.

being cheap never got anyone far...but broken rewelds.

rg97
07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
If you wanted somewhat of an idea of cost, I had my frame and a few other odds and ends parts blasted and powder coated for $250 or 275 I think it was. Of course, that didnt include anything like a frame weld like what you would like to do. Not sure what HRE will charge you, but their stuff is not cheap by any means. When I had my frame blasted and coated, I got one heck of a deal too so it may be more expensive than this.

If you REALLY know what you're doing and have the ability to, go weld and fix it yourself. No person knows you better than yourself so it's a call that you have to make.