PDA

View Full Version : 350X oil filter cover leaking/ head cap also help!! MR ATC ?

speedracer350X
12-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Having problems sealing the oil filter cover after I change oil. It has a new large O-ring and I put a small one in back in August after last oil change. Played with it all day yesterday and still couldn't get it to seal correctly. Also, back in Oct. I took the head cap off to re-seal it with gasket forming silicone(bought 2 tubes of the supposed bestsealer) still seams to leak above the header pipe area and left front part of motor? Any advice?? Thanks!!

speed20
12-01-2002, 05:46 PM
I dont know anything about 350x's, but i do know that MR.ATC has takin some time away from the site......hope he comes back.........hes like a walking talking manual!!!

12-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Yes, Mr ATC is a very knowlegeable guy about ATCs.

I dont know much about 350X, but Im thinkin that maybe the o-ring is stretched out and not seating properly? It only takes one removal of an o-ring to stretch it. When they stretch they not only become too big to fit right, they also get skinnier from the stretching and dont seal as tight as they should. Maybe you need a new o-ring?

Also, silicone gasket maker in the tube has proven to be a poor sealer against oil leaks in my experience working on cars. I dont know if you can get a proper gasket for what you are trying to seal up, but if you can, get one, or cut one from gasket material, and you will probably be happier with the result.

Good luck with it.

ATC350X 85
12-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Its best to replace the o ring after every oil and filter change. I had that same problem once or twice and my solution is to just change it with every oil change.

Dirtcrasher
12-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but I reuse orings in non critical areas all the time. If I doubt it I clean it real well with electrical clnr - something that will evaporate quick, and I use permatex blue or red for high temp. Almost ALL leaks are from two surfaces not being exactly flat or improper seating due to screwdriver prying dents, not deburred properly, whatever. Valve adj cap? There's only spalsh oil at that point? Don't get me wrong o rings are cheap as are circlips, retaining ring etc., but usually a pain in the a.. to get when you need it!

ATCnut
12-01-2002, 09:52 PM
I think Dirtcrasher probably hit it on the head. Check the oil filter cover for warpage. I have heard about that happening from over torquing the fasterners. the only way I know of to fix it is to replace it.

350Xrider
12-01-2002, 10:37 PM
If it was warped a little, you could take some sandpaper and a piece of glass and lay it down on a bench or something and run the cover over it to smooth the case back down so it is even again.

HemiChallenger71
12-02-2002, 01:52 AM
My X is doing the same thing as speerdracer's X. I replaced the oil filter cover gasket after the last oil change, that sealed it, and now its leaking again after the recent oil change. O-rings are pretty expensive, at $4.00 a pop, plus a filter for $4.00 plus oil.

speedracer350X
12-02-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I guess that's what happens when things get old. Hate to say it but I think sometimes it's a pain in the but keeping this thing running. Now don't get me wrong, been a die-hard ATC fan since 85 (still have my first one, 85 110). It just seems hard to keep things in tip top shape when half the parts are an arm and a leg, or like I'm finding out, being dis-continued by Honda. I like to ride hard, but now I'm getting parts cautious? Say if I take a bad spill or something(course getting older doesn't help much). Anyways, I'll have to get a new O-ring and see what I can do. I do think the head cap is probably warped or burred, cause I had to have a machine shop drill out the header bolts last year when I pulled the motor to put it in the painted frame. Oh well, soon have to think about selling it someday and get a 400EX or hopefully Honda's shocking new 650EX!!! (I wish!!) Seriously though, I do love my 3 wheeler, but it sure is getting tough to maintain it. Anyways,thanks again everyone fo the advice. Keep on 3 wheelin' and Semper FI!!

burntman
12-30-2002, 03:18 AM
make sure your are careful not to tighten your bolts too much or they will strip out real easy on the 350 and make it leak.

Martin64
12-30-2002, 05:32 AM
Check to see if you can get a filter for your trike at Wal-mart.... yes Wal-mart. I get filters there for my bikes because they are cheaper and they come with the o-rings in the box at no extra charge. Do a little homework and cross reference your filter to Fram.

ATCnut
12-30-2002, 05:54 AM
The fram number is CH6015, and the price at a couple of online places was $5.25 to $5.50