PDA

View Full Version : All Tecate Intakes Are NOT Equal

jb2wheels
07-06-2014, 02:43 PM
When I bought my Red Tecate (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/166770-My-Red-Tecate-Project), the seller had installed a new intake boot. It looked great and I had no issues with it.

I had to tear the Tecate apart for some maintenance. When i pulled the carb, the boot came apart. This is what it looks like:

You can see, the "rubber" did not encapsulate the metal plate. It's not even glued.
I'm not sure where this intake came from but I have to assume it's one of the $110 intakes available on Ebay
I will likely RTV the 2 pieces together and be fine.

The point of this is:

I installed an intake from JESwinehart on one of my other Tecates. The "rubber" on his completely cover the metal. I think he gets $65 for his and they're much better intakes.

So, if you're buying intake boots, take a close look before coughing up your $$.

jeswinehart
07-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Oh wow, at first glance I thought it may have been one of my "early" intakes but after looking at it closer I don't see the factory sealing lip nor the "cut off" at the bottom (where I trim off the extra material from the pour mold).
I did have similar trouble for a short while on a few intakes years ago, but got that sorted out.
JB, throw that POS away, ain't worth the chance of costing you a screwed up motor. You have bought enough from me over the time I have known you, I will just send you one N/C.

john

Frankencelery
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
John, I need one of those too. Do you have any for 84-85? In troubleshooting mine in the last couple weeks, I've noticed that the intake is falling apart. I'll send you a PM to get a price.

Kevin

jb2wheels
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Wow, John - that's awesome!

I came to the same conclusion about 3 minutes after I posted - been in the garage all afternoon or you would already have the, "Do you have an intake?" PM!

Good thing I run an airbox - an unsupported carb would have ripped this right off.

This is definitely not one yours.

elvetost
07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Good stuff John! :)

Billy Golightly
07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh wow, at first glance I thought it may have been one of my "early" intakes but after looking at it closer I don't see the factory sealing lip nor the "cut off" at the bottom (where I trim off the extra material from the pour mold).
I did have similar trouble for a short while on a few intakes years ago, but got that sorted out.
JB, throw that POS away, ain't worth the chance of costing you a screwed up motor. You have bought enough from me over the time I have known you, I will just send you one N/C.

john

Service like this right here ladies and gentleman that are new to the board - is what makes the members and vendors in this group so awesome and unlike many, many other places online.

jb2wheels
07-12-2014, 03:38 PM
To bring this full circle:

The new intake is here and you can see how different (better) JESwinehart's are:

197132 197133

Thanks again John - this is super-generous!