PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 200x fork seal pressed bushing out

dreux13
06-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Hey Guys,

I bought a pair of '86 forks and am rebuilding them. I disassembled one of them without issue, but the other is just being a total PITA. I have the hex/drain bolts out, circlip is out from seal, but I think the metal press fitted bushing below the seal is well....sealed and preventing the upper from coming out of the lower! I've used a torch, put the fork in the vice with some good whacks....even attached an old upper triple tree to give me space to really whack it with the hand sledge. Not budging! The upper springs weren't pretty either. They were completely dried up, I don't think rusty, just dried up.

Should I cut bait and by another fork or is there some other trick for getting that metal bushing under the seal to move? This is for my 250sx/200x fork conversion and I really don't want to have to buy another fork. Part of me is thinking to just pry out the seal, but the new one in, clean the parts and not actually pull the upper from the lower, but that feels like a hack.

Thanks in advance.
- Dreux

badass350x
06-29-2014, 12:59 PM
you are pushing the slider all the way down and slide hammering it out correct?

dreux13
06-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Yes I am....pushing all the way in, pulling out with force and then hammering it further out.

El Camexican
06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Secure the lower section safely (a vice on the axle mount is recommended) Use the upper (inner) section as a slide hammer to pop out the seal. Use your arms, not your body and be ready for a mess of oil splash when it lets go. Short raps are safer and more effective that long strokes.

dreux13
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Secure the lower section safely (a vice on the axle mount is recommended) Use the upper (inner) section as a slide hammer to pop out the seal. Use your arms, not your body and be ready for a mess of oil splash when it lets go. Short raps are safer and more effective that long strokes.

This approach worked on my other fork. The problem with this one is that one up motion and it sticks to the point that I either hammer it back in or try beating it out.

El Camexican
06-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Is your inner tube bent?

DohcBikes
06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Got a freezer big enough to fit the fork in there? Freeze it overnight and try again.

By all means consider it a hack job if you leave the bushing in. Consider it a waste of your time and new parts as well. Gotta get it out, it needs replaced, and more than likely so do the other bushings.

dreux13
06-29-2014, 03:32 PM
This thing is killing me. Should I reseal the whole thing up with some kind of anti seize and let it sit overnight? If so, what? The only thing I have laying around in larger quantities is mineral spirits and paint thinner.

Freezers not big enough! Should I give it more heat?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

DohcBikes
06-29-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure how hard you are slamming the inner against the outer, but at this point, hit it harder somehow.

I would say stop heating it, because if the chrome on the tube has not yet suffered damage, it will eventually from too much heat.

Hit it harder. Put a helmet and safety glasses on and freak on it if you have to. The other option is a new fork.

El Camexican
06-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Hit it harder. Put a helmet and safety glasses on and freak on it if you have to. LOL! Yea fork tube removal can get pretty interactive. I have oil stains in the walls of my shop from as you would say "getting freaky" with my forks. It would be nice to have a mattress behind you as well when you really get into it in case you fall backwards.

dreux13
06-29-2014, 07:03 PM
I got freaky and have the oil stains sheer across the garage, but still no give at all. Hasn't even budged! Even mounted it in the vice upside down so I could put my everything in to it. At this point, even if it comes out, it'll likely be bent or screwed up someway.

I bought this set on eBay for $80 shipped and am now going to have to spend that alone on a second fork if I can find one. Not a good day :(

Anyone have a spare '86/87 right fork hanging around?

El Camexican
06-29-2014, 08:31 PM
The worst one I’ve ever been involved with was from my YTM and had bent inner tube to boot. I beat it senseless for a few hours on day one before giving up. The next day I took a heat gun to it and kept the heat on till the seal started blistering and smoking (the YTM has a steel lower tube, so I had no fear, but in saying that I doubt you can melt aluminum with a heat gun). When it finally let go the oil hit the roof and I went 8’ backwards and almost ended up azz over tea kettle. My point is, don’t give up, it WILL come apart.

DohcBikes
06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Great advice and well said El, theres no reason to give up unless you actually damage it which takes, well, more abuse than i've ever given. Did not know the ytm lowers were steel, good info there as well. Bent tubes are no big deal to straighten, and shoot man you paid for what you got!

Sometimes a cold beer or 3 will loosen things up lol...take a break and try again!!!:beer

dreux13
06-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the pep talk guys!