PDA

View Full Version : Whitening Yellowed Soft Plastic >> Check this Out!!

Darius1502
06-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Guys,

I recently got some Hondaline boots and the plastic part that says 'Honda' was all yellowed and old looking. A far cry from the blue-ish white color I remember seeing in the brochures. I knew it was once white but UV sun rays and light had yellowed it. Also some of the badges on my Hondaline pants where hard, brittle and yellow.

I did some research and found out that young kids are going nuts over 'icy' soles Air Jordons and trying to keep the rubber clear and blue-ish colored. They use something called Sea Glow by a company named Island Girl.

Well it worked. Here's just 1 day's work of treatment.

Bleaching would not have worked because the plastic had yellow deep down beyond the surface. This actually made it plyable again.

You put this stuff on then leave it out in the sun. I did about every 1 hour for a full 10 hours.

See the progression.

More tomorrow...196031196032196033

Maybe you have something similar that has yellowed? The next closest thing is the ATC 350X and 250R front brake lines..but I think it would be tough to coat them.

Here's the product:

http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/clear&glow.html (you just need SEA GLOW)

Here's the madness around Icey Soles and some results with Island Girl - Sea Glow:

I am not done...I am going after it again tomorrow...I want these things 'icy'...

Well maybe just like there where back in the 80's at least:

El Camexican
06-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Way cool! I wonder if it will work on teeth?

czac
06-18-2014, 08:03 AM
... what is it? does it work on colored plastics? like when the fenders get sun bleached and white when they should be yellow?

joesouth
06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I wonder if it will work on yellowed headlight car lenses?

Darius1502
06-18-2014, 10:43 AM
I wonder if it will work on yellowed headlight car lenses?

Joe I am not sure. Those can be rubbed out with rubbing compound. It might work but remember this is SOFT plastic rubber. You couldn't sand this yellow out.

Darius1502
06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
... what is it? does it work on colored plastics? like when the fenders get sun bleached and white when they should be yellow?

Not sure either. From what I can see its great on whites or clears...but again I am talking about soft plastics. Fenders, headlights are HARD PLASTICS. I would not use this for that.

Here's a DEMO: I would sand off all that white on the your yellows first. I know that works. For that do this:

http://youtu.be/mKHeZusdTTM

DohcBikes
06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
... what is it? does it work on colored plastics? like when the fenders get sun bleached and white when they should be yellow?From the link darius provided.

While both products have very similar restorative and anti-aging properties, SEA GLOW™ is unique in eliminating and preventing yellowness on white and clear plastics, including the sythetic rubber soles of Nike Jordan Sports Shoes - a customer discovery! This is due to SEA GLOW™'s unique combination of fluorescent activators and special blue dye. Although it is also useful in brightening other other colors (red, orange, yellow, blue etc) it is NOT suitable for earthtones (beige, brown etc) since it will react with the white pigment partiles to make the surface abnormally light or "purple" colored.Read the description on the page fully. It sounds like it will be very useful for all kinds of things. UV protection....

Thanks Darius! I'm gonna try it on all kinds of stuff.

Darius1502
06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
From the link darius provided.
Read the description on the page fully. It sounds like it will be very useful for all kinds of things. UV protection....

Thanks Darius! I'm gonna try it on all kinds of stuff.

Ahhh...interesting. Well then go for it.

As far as fenders and stuff I've always followed Mr. Clean's suggestions on here and its worked fine. I will work to get down to a new layer of plastic by sanding at different grades then polishing:

Darius1502
06-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Here's the final shot for the history books...

Bright as they were in 1986...

(I am still amazed)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

No Flash:

w/Flash:

DohcBikes
06-20-2014, 12:06 AM
.......Icy.

the great gazoo
06-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Way cool! I wonder if it will work on teeth?

Nope, it doesn't. and it tastes terrible.............

joesouth
06-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Those boots do look good!!