PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Br clutch cover - lesson learned.

Hair Bear Bunch
06-15-2014, 05:27 PM
For those of you who have followed and guided me through my blunderings, this one is something I'd not expected.
Ever since I did the sprag clutch I've had a very slight oil leak so I set out this weekend to simply change the gasket. When I dropped the cover off and started to clean the gasket face I discovered a small dent in the surface near the strainer. Didn't give it a lot of thought and carried on cleaning the engine face 'till I found a matching dent this time a lot deeper, again by the strainer.
When I did the clutch, the first time I fitted the cover the reverse detent lever didn't work so pulled the cover off again, reset the lever and spring and refitted it. It worked perfectly apart from the oil leak. I can only guess what happened was the first time I fitted it the spring must have slipped as I assembled it, and when I torqed it up the tail of the spring imprinted itself on the mating faces! When I took it apart again it all fell apart so there was no suggestion of what had happened.
I have got it all sealed up now - I hope anyway - ran it for about an hour and it's now sat with a clean tray under it to see what comes out.
Don't know how you guys would repair or fix a problem like this but what I've done is stuck a small section of rubber 'O' ring in the deep dent with some instant gasket and it sits proud enough to push the gasket into the shallow mark. So far so good.
Rob.

jeswinehart
06-15-2014, 05:46 PM
For those of you who have followed and guided me through my blunderings, this one is something I'd not expected.
Ever since I did the sprag clutch I've had a very slight oil leak so I set out this weekend to simply change the gasket. When I dropped the cover off and started to clean the gasket face I discovered a small dent in the surface near the strainer. Didn't give it a lot of thought and carried on cleaning the engine face 'till I found a matching dent this time a lot deeper, again by the strainer.
When I did the clutch, the first time I fitted the cover the reverse detent lever didn't work so pulled the cover off again, reset the lever and spring and refitted it. It worked perfectly apart from the oil leak. I can only guess what happened was the first time I fitted it the spring must have slipped as I assembled it, and when I torqed it up the tail of the spring imprinted itself on the mating faces! When I took in apart again it all fell apart so there was no suggestion of what had happened.
I have got it all sealed up now - I hope anyway - ran it for about an hour and it's now sat with a clean tray under it to see what comes out.
Don't know how you guys would repair or fix a problem like this but what I've done is stuck a small section of rubber 'O' ring in the deep dent with some instant gasket and it sits proud enough to push the gasket into the shallow mark. So far so good.
Rob.

Sounds like a darn good simple fix to case's + covers that have gouges in the mating surfaces ~ learned something right there !

Hair Bear Bunch
06-15-2014, 05:55 PM
I can't claim the credit here, it was a friend who suggested it!
On a different note, as I've had the cover off, should I be adjusting the clutch?

Flyingw
06-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Nothing to adjust inside of the cover Rob.

hatc200x1
06-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I almost did the same thing a month or so ago when I put a new timing chain in my 250es!!