PDA

View Full Version : The hard way to find a Big Red....

CaptainRon
06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm trying to find a low-hour good-shape '85 to '87 Big Red for sale.
I search CraigsList constantly, have set up Google alerts, am searching Adhuntr.com, etc.
I live near Sioux City, Iowa and will drive up to 500 miles (or more) to buy one.

Raced up to Minneapolis (330 miles one way) a couple days ago to look at a $900 one just listed as "beautiful" and "never ridden by kids" and "owned by old couple".
Looked good in the fuzzy picture.
Get there and it looked like someone had dropped an engine block on the gas tank, plastic broken everywhere, things bent, broken, and missing.
And engine sounded like it had a lot of use over the years.
So I left without it. It still sold the same day it was listed.

Next day, another one pops up, also in Minneapolis, just like it.
It too sold the same day it was listed.

I had CraigsList links to seven different Big Reds I was interested in - they ALL sold this weekend.

I can't get ANYWHERE fast enough to buy a nice one before someone else buys it.
In all my dealings with buying/selling on CraigsList, I've never seen anything so sought-after nor sell as quickly as a nice '85 to '87 Honda Big Red.

I'm now stuck looking at $2000 and up Big Reds.......

Anyone have a nice one for sale or know of a nice one for sale?

Frankencelery
06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
I feel your pain. I went through this when trying to buy another 250SX. I have since given up (temporarily) and moved on to other things. But you really need to be patient and willing to drive all over creation to get what you want. Good luck!

I'm trying to find a low-hour good-shape '85 to '87 Big Red for sale.
I search CraigsList constantly, have set up Google alerts, am searching Adhuntr.com, etc.
I live near Sioux City, Iowa and will drive up to 500 miles (or more) to buy one.

Raced up to Minneapolis (330 miles one way) a couple days ago to look at a $900 one just listed as "beautiful" and "never ridden by kids" and "owned by old couple".
Looked good in the fuzzy picture.
Get there and it looked like someone had dropped an engine block on the gas tank, plastic broken everywhere, things bent, broken, and missing.
And engine sounded like it had a lot of use over the years.
So I left without it. It still sold the same day it was listed.

Next day, another one pops up, also in Minneapolis, just like it.
It too sold the same day it was listed.

I had CraigsList links to seven different Big Reds I was interested in - they ALL sold this weekend.

I can't get ANYWHERE fast enough to buy a nice one before someone else buys it.
In all my dealings with buying/selling on CraigsList, I've never seen anything so sought-after nor sell as quickly as a nice '85 to '87 Honda Big Red.

I'm now stuck looking at $2000 and up Big Reds.......

Anyone have a nice one for sale or know of a nice one for sale?

keister
06-09-2014, 01:13 PM
It is frustrating, but it takes time and patience.
I had a quest to find a NICE 86-87 125M. It took about 3 years, but I finally found the one I wanted at a great price.
Same deal when searching for an original XR400 dirtbike. A couple years of looking and the right one popped up.

Couple suggestions:
Develop a network of people to keep their eyes open for you (for that, you have come to the right place).
Maybe buy one that is less than ideal. Ride it, fix it and enjoy it while the search continues. Then when the right one comes up, sell it if needed.

You shouldn't be looking at over $2k for a Big Red.
$1000-1200 should score you a very nice one. A $1500 should be very close to perfect.

Good luck in your search!

Taiser
06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Be patient... took me over 8 years to find mine and I called the dude 5 minutes after he posted it at 10pm, went the next morning at 7 am and picked it up... while I was there he got FIVE calls for it!!!! Didn't even haggle over the price, I just scooped it! :) They are out there, but are getting harder to find!

captainweezy
06-10-2014, 05:25 PM
I located one today. I dealt with him personally. It is in the St. Louis area. It's not a super nice one but worth talking to the guy. It won't be $2000 I promise. More like $800. If you want to go further, send me a pm and I will get you his number.

OKSTATE#1
06-11-2014, 05:35 AM
I bought my 85 about a year ago off CL, seemed like there were more of them around last year. I have plenty of pics of it in my profile. It's near mint and I paid 1800 for it from a guy in Minnesota. I highly doubt I would find one like it now for that price. You can and will find good deals out there still, but it seems in the last 6 months to a year things have gotten crazy if not downright silly at times. I have heard some CRAZY money being thrown around for big reds in mint to near mint condition. Original tires or NOS tires are out of sight too. I started back into the ATC deal about two years ago, had an 85 BR as a kid and just loved it, always wanted another. Seems like everyone else feels the same way lately. I had absolutely no intention of making money or dealing with parts scrambles and whatnot, but good Lord.

I have learned a lot in two years, and I know that there are still some Big Reds out there that are what would be thought of as "mythical" in their existence...like the 250R in the crate kind of deal. But, they are not for sale, at least the ones that I have been told about. To me that's fine I guess, but these machines were made to rode and enjoyed. If I had the cash and space I guess it would be cool to have a totally new 85-87 sitting in glass, but I would be too tempted to oil it, gas it, and blast down a trail lol.

One more thing....I think with all the perceived or real "planned obsolescence" of many items these days (particularly ATVs and the parts on them), many people are discovering just how well built and fun these older machines really are. With a little care and some basic knowledge, an 85-87 BR can last almost forever and be ridden and enjoyed on pretty much any trail that you would take these modern machines on....and just may out do the 10,000 dollar "bad boys"...ok, that's my 5 am rant lol

OKSTATE#1
06-11-2014, 05:39 AM
One more thing, don't be afraid to buy one with scratched up plastics and some rust and whatnot. If it's got Complete plastics but looks like crap, those plastics can be sanded to almost new condition. I bought an 86 from down in Texas a couple months back that ran great and looked like hell. One month of sanding and painting, a few parts swapped out here and there, and it looks like a new machine.

CaptainRon
06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Bought one!
Found a mint 1985 Big Red near Brainerd, Minnesota that had just been posted.
Raced the 400 miles to it and it was the nicest one I've ever seen.
Original owner had it, and had the Manufacturers Statement of Origin too.
No broken nor bent anything, original tires on it, runs like new yet.

I paid $1600 for it.
Owner said it was on sale when he bought it new at the dealership, and had paid $1645.
So he only lost $45 on it after using it 29 years.

He got 12 calls on it while I was driving to it....

Woohoo!

Frankencelery
06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Congratulations! Pics! Pics! Pics!

MattDragontamer
06-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Alright now... X owner ...

Seriously though... lets see some :pics: :)

keister
06-11-2014, 12:23 PM
SCORE!!! Glad to hear it.

Now change the thread title and upload the pictures of your new treasure.

OKSTATE#1
06-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Wow!! What's up with all the sweet big reds in Minnesota? That's where my 85 came from and it's an early 85, built in July of 84. Has date coded 1984 tires on it. I need to go cruising around Paul Bunyans backyard....

CaptainRon
06-13-2014, 06:17 AM
So...I did find the Big Red I wanted, but......
The day BEFORE I bought the one I wanted, I went and looked a different one.
It was in fair shape and worked okay, and came with a second Big Red that needed some parts.
So bought and took them home.
Of course, the next day I hear of the low-hour one and...now I have THREE 1985 Big Reds in my garage.
I think I did it wrong.
Pics show all three:

captainweezy
06-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Dang that puppy is clean. Glad for ya!

userj8670
06-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Them machines are clean! Keep em nice and you won't lose a dime

big specht
06-13-2014, 05:23 PM
That's the way it goes for me to you buy one and three more show up you have to buy

tri again
06-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I've been known to offer more than asking price.
One big red had 5 people rolling while I was there.
An sx with racks had 18 calls while I drove over there.
A strictly parts BR got offered 100 more, sight unseen
while driving over so I just gave it to the guy.
I usually offer to use paypal or give credit card so they know I'm serious
and my cell # to call me while driving over there.
Had some guy in forclosure with 5 honda trikes and drove a few hrs
and he simply was not there.
Drove back the next day and same thing.
We were supposed to meet at a dairy queen both times, he swore he was there.
Small town, DQ manager said no one was there between noon and one except some kids.
I even showed her my $$. and gave her a few bucks to have the guy call me.
Probably a rip off scam gone wrong.
I could imagine going down some dirt road with a couple grand in my pocket, never to be seen again.
I just hope hollywood, music video or some tv commercial doesn't use 3 wheelers and drive the prices outta sight.

Thorpe
06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Nice trikes! It makes me laugh how 99% of these bikes are missing the clutch adjuster cover! Jswinehart here on the forum can likely hook you up! Miss my BR all the time...

Zach
06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Your best bet is just to not be in a hurry to get a bike if you wait for it the right killer deal will come along and it will be all yours

Taiser
06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Good gravy, that first photo one is insanely clean!!!! Jesus...

CaptainRon
06-24-2014, 06:21 AM
I upgraded the wheels and tires - haven't seen many Big Reds with aftermarket rims:

oile
06-24-2014, 12:23 PM
CaptainRon what size rims are those and who made them i really like those rims and tire combo.

CaptainRon
06-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Those AMS aluminum rims from DennisKirk.com are the stock 25x12-9 size, 4x110mm bolt pattern, 6+3 offset (stock offset).
Dealership here had a tough time mounting them because their machine couldn't fit rims that small, but they got 'em done.

The tires on the rear are Kenda Bear Claws, front is just some 2-ply that DennisKirk had that looked like a mean front tire (to me).

userj8670
06-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Nice stance!

OKSTATE#1
06-24-2014, 10:39 PM
I had to snap a pic and take down the info on that package. That's damn nice

Big G
06-25-2014, 01:07 PM
You must find yourself walking into your garage every 5 minutes just to sit there and gaze at them. Well done Captain!