PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to clean my axel?

vartiak15
01-08-2004, 11:03 PM
what can i do to clean my axel?

kwit
01-08-2004, 11:14 PM
sand blast her

twgranger
01-08-2004, 11:20 PM
????????????????????????????????? are you serious???????????? the same way you clean everything else, get some cleaner, get a rag, scrub...That dont always work :rolleyes:

slippy4
01-08-2004, 11:50 PM
take some sandpaper, put the back end up on blocks, start it up, have someone help you and run it in 1st gear or so and hold the sandpaper on the axle well its spinning then polish or whatever.

CHAINSAW
01-09-2004, 12:55 AM
steel wool and mothers polish works pretty damn good!

Beer_Smurf
01-09-2004, 02:02 AM
I've been working on my '84 latley and been wondering what I'm going to do with the axle.
If I remember it was a nice cad plated gold color when new.
Now it is kinda nasty rusty and looks like crap.
I can sandblast it, sure.
Then what?
Paint? that's not gonna last very long.
Would be nice to re-cad but I'm not sure if the aluminum sprocket carrier will come off.

Any Ideas on doing it first class?

Wickedfinger
01-09-2004, 03:04 AM
take some sandpaper, put the back end up on blocks, start it up, have someone help you and run it in 1st gear or so and hold the sandpaper on the axle well its spinning then polish or whatever.
Thats what I've been doing for the past 20 or so years - steel wool works really well. Make sure you coat the crap out of it with WD-40 when you're done or clear coat it every so often.

Muddy200x
01-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Sandblasting would probably be the best way to go, but if it's just dirty and greasy... Ya know the blue and white bottle of "Soft scrub" That stuff kicks ass on just about anything. That, a scrub brush, and some elbow grease. It works great on greasy parts and your hands will be clean and wont stink afterwards
Listen to me now, and believe me later. :-D

Ace Mon
01-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Heres what ya do ... First you put the rear end up on a milk crate . Then go in the house and find an old necktie . Staple emerypaper to the tie and then put it on . have someone go out to the bike with you and start it up in first gear . The you simply loop the tie around the axle and hold it firmly with one hand . With your other hand give your buddy the "thumbs up " signal and have him gun it . It may take a while but the results will leave you breathless !

Mobular
01-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Wire wheel on a mini-grinder....

roofinggun
01-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I used emery first, and them a wire brush on a dremel. Then I just sprayed on some clear coat.

catfishwhisker
01-09-2004, 07:01 PM
HAHAHHAH! Do like we used to do on our bicycles, take a piece of leather and make a loop a little bigger than the axle. Loop it around the axle and ride the heck out of it. In no time, that axle will be shiny as new....lol