PDA

View Full Version : Is there supposed to be grease under the shaft boot? 250sx

kilabeez0
06-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Mine is ripped and a ton of grease is coming out. Ordered new one just have to pick it up from the dealer. My buddy who works as a mechanic for our honda dealer came by to drop off a dirt bike motor he had built for me and saw it and said it should be dry underneath. That maybe lower seal is bad and it leaked up from the differential. Or maybe someone didn't know better and just pumped it full of grease.

Flyingw
06-07-2014, 09:41 AM
The manual does specify lubricating the propeller shaft with grease but not a ton of it. More than likely, somebody pumped it full of grease.

kilabeez0
06-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Should I clean it all off? What exactly am I prying to try and get the boot off and new one on?

Flyingw
06-07-2014, 02:57 PM
To get all that grease out would require you to separate the swingarm from the frame and remove the propeller shaft. Your call on that. To change the boot, you are pushing on the end of the propeller shaft to disengage it from the engine shaft. Its spring loaded so with a screwdriver, push the end of the propeller shaft back and off the engine shaft. Change your boot out but don't secure it. Compress the propeller shaft and manipulate it back on to the engine shaft. Be patient, it a little tricky but it will go.

djm0242
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
the grease was pumped in to act as a seal since your boot was torn. Actually pretty smart...