PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r rear suspension adjustment

dream3wheeler
06-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Normally ive never had any trouble adjusting suspension, but for this one its different. The nut is stuck and wont spin, tried spinning it both ways but that thing isn't giving. At this point ive got cuts all up and down my arms and fingers from the wrench breaking loose. Its been sitting over night with wd40 on it. before I go back out there and keep cutting myself, does anyone have any tips? :wondering

DohcBikes
06-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Some of them require a using a hammer and a flat blade driver to get them unlocked. Maybe you could consider some gloves? ;)

Billy Golightly
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Your talking about the preload nuts on the top of the spring? Are you using a spanner wrench, or what are you trying to get on them with? If they've been unfortunate enough to get a hammer and punch often the spanner wont fit anymore and you might be reduced the channel locks...

jb2wheels
06-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I have no luck adjusting preload with the shock on the trike. I take them off and use some big old ugly tools to get the rings moving.

dream3wheeler
06-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Ive got a shock spanner wrench that I used first. but not matter where I hooked the darn thing itd still slip and I couldn't get enough leverage to free the nut. I have also tried a hammer and punch but that only started to damage things, also tried vice grip pliers, those seem to hold better than anything but still not enough to free that nut.

dream3wheeler
06-01-2014, 06:00 PM
well good news, I got it all loosened up and it finally broke loose. but im curious now, is there a spec for how far the back end should lower with no load applied to the shock? because it seems that under the machines own weight the back end lowers about an inch or more, im no suspension expert but shouldn't the shock at least be able to hold up its own weight?