PDA

View Full Version : How to Slow Down My ATC 70

hublake
05-22-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a 73 ATC 70 that I have for my grandson. The problem is he is 3 1/2 years old and wants to go fast and this is his first riding experience. I have put some stops in the throttle but even with it only moving about 1/8 of an inch it still goes to fast in 1st gear or even 2nd or 3rd. Any ideas on how to make it go about a fast walk. He is not able to pull the hand brake and isn't real good at steering yet, so I want to be able to keep up with him without killing my self running. lol

El Camexican
05-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Chain the trike to your car, he can tow you and you can use your brakes to set the speed limit. As an added bonus you'll never be too far behind him and you can use your A/C and listen to the radio.;)

Vealmonkey
05-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Gearing, would be my best suggestion. You should be able to change the front and rear sprockets.

hublake
05-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Gearing, would be my best suggestion. You should be able to change the front and rear sprockets.

I never thought of that. I will have to see what is on it and go from there. Thanks for the idea.

barnett468
05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
OMG…I almost spit my Cap’n Morgans and Tecate Beer boiler maker all over my computer. I’ve been laughing for 5 minutes straight now. I can’t even look at these posts anymore.

Ok, some other far less entertaining options are:

1. Use the suggestion above but use the cruise control instead of the breaks so they don;t overheat at these high speeds.

2. Loosen the throttle cable so there is more play in and put it in first gear then remove the shifter so he can not shift it.

3. Lower the gearing and remove the shifter.

4. Put one of these on it and just pull him around the yard.

http://www.tricyclefetish.com/images/research/9py.jpg

5. Or simply give him away.

Holy cr_p!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

3 Wheel Drive
05-22-2014, 08:34 PM
You forgot about filling all 3 wheels with calcium chloride, must be all that captain morgans...

hublake
05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
OMG…I almost spit my Cap’n Morgans and Tecate Beer boiler maker all over my computer. I’ve been laughing for 5 minutes straight now. I can’t even look at these posts anymore.

Ok, some other far less entertaining options are:

1. Use the suggestion above but use the cruise control instead of the breaks so they don;t overheat at these high speeds.

2. Loosen the throttle cable so there is more play in and put it in first gear then remove the shifter so he can not shift it.

3. Lower the gearing and remove the shifter.

http://www.tricyclefetish.com/images/research/9py.jpg

5. Or simply give him away.

Holy cr_p!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I don't see what was so funny. To bad when you enter a reply to a post you can't use proper grammar. It should be brakes not breaks.

jeswinehart
05-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Gearing is a great idea but I was thinking rev limiter. I done some searching around for small engine rev limiters,,, did not really see anything I would use if in same situation but I got to believe there has to be a adjustable rev limiter out there some where.

webbch
05-22-2014, 10:23 PM
A pair of eyes goes a long way toward solving this problem....as well as the threat of ending the riding session if the youngsters get going too fast.

My 4 year old rides a 110 after she demonstrated the ability to apply the brakes. I put in in 3rd gear, low range, and off she goes. Until then, she'd been riding in front of me (on my lap) for the last 6 months. I only had to boot her off once or twice before she figured out not to get on the throttle too much or go up on 2 wheels. No throttle stop needed. Since I like riding anyway, it's no problem to follow her around on my 200 to make sure she's staying safe.

Vealmonkey
05-22-2014, 10:36 PM
You can always install a dead man switch and a long string teather,sort of yt60 like. Maybe adjust the idle down low. And don't worry, we'll make some more Capt'n Morgan for you. We were just doing a run of it today.

El Camexican
05-22-2014, 11:10 PM
remove the shifter

That's not a bad idea. Coupled with a throttle stop and a dead man's switch to the kid's shirt and that would seem pretty safe.

MattDragontamer
05-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Did everyone forget about the limiter on the 78 and up throttles?

Get an older throttle with the screw hole on the front side... You just need to screw in and tighten the nut to adjust the speed.
He can then punch it and it won't matter.

Keith Salyer
05-23-2014, 07:47 AM
My son started on a 50cc dirt bike with training wheels unter the footpegs that were 36 inches wide. It had a washer in the header pipe to restrict flow and also the throttle screw but this still was to fast so I would tie a rope to the grab bar and the other end to my Mountain Bike and I was the brakes when I needed to be. My rope was like 12 ft long so we had 10 ft or so between us. It worked great and no accidents.

briano
05-23-2014, 07:57 AM
If your throttle only moves an 1/8 and it's still to fast I would also check into gearing it down.

Nice job Barnett, he is trying to get his grandson into trikes and you find it funny that he wants to do it safely. What a pen!s

DohcBikes
05-23-2014, 10:01 AM
No offense but the mental picture of grandpa gasping to keep up with the little guy when all he wants do do is go fast, is actually pretty funny, and so was El Camexicans post :D

I like mattdragontamers throttle idea, all these ideas are good ones and then i would just add....necessary riding gear and a wide open space to start.

Cool thing to be doing:beer

barnett468
05-23-2014, 10:30 AM

I don't see what was so funny.

Well, I thought your post was funny the way you wrote it. Sorry, I guess I have a sense of humor. I have grand kids too and could just picture the little guy doin just what you said, but you obviously don’t find that funny. I think that if I didn't view a lot of the things our grandkids do as funny, I might simply give them away.

I also thought that El Camexican's post was funny, and so did Afrothunderkat, but you apparently did not.

Most off road motorcycle riders I know have a sense of humor. This is supposed to be a FUN sport imo and the people involved are supposed to be FUN too imo. We're riding tricycles with engines. If that's not fun or at least funny for an adult to be doing, I guess I don't get it. I even think El Camexican is kinda FUN and FUNNY, at least once in a while.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

For some reason, the following picture did not appear in my post. I thought it was funny, but since it didn't appear, I guess the comment above it wasn't. Oh well, sorry for trying to be entertaining while also offering some additional suggestions, one or two of which El Camexican agreed with, but I guess you think they are bad ones. At least I tried.

http://www.tricyclefetish.com/images/research/9py_small.jpg

REV LIMITER – I would not put a rev limiter on it. Most rev limiters cause whatever vehicle they are on to buck back and forth once they are reached. Imo, this could be dangerous for someone that is not even strong enough to steer the bike.

To bad when you enter a reply to a post you can't use proper grammar. It should be brakes not breaks.I actually wrote it that way on purpose, however, if you are more concerned about ones grammar and spelling than the contents of their post, you are DEFINITELY in the wrong place imo.

If I remember correctly, this is NOT an English class, and if you want to eliminate everyone here that has bad grammar and/or spelling and/or disregard their posts because of it, the only one left would be young Slashfan.

Since you appear to be concerned about ones grammar, I believe there should be a comma after the word "post", and the word "brakes", in you sentence quoted above. I will have to check with Slash to confirm this however.

What a pen!sI guess you might consider this persons grammar to be better than mine, their post more helpful, and their language more appropriate on this purportedly “Family Friendly Site” since you have made no mention to the contrary.

I`D LIKE to take this opportunity to welcome you BACK Barnett ! You are such an amazing asshat to the community…I actually think this one is much funnier. I have never seen a hat for ones derriere, and if I were to be one for Kate Upton, I don't think I would mind, however, I wouldn't be big enough to cover, J Lo's or Kim Kardashian's, nor do I think I'd want to.

I would still do what I originally suggested as a minimum, which is gear it down, remove the shifter, and increase the free play in the throttle cable if possible. Since you are only at 1/8th throttle now, I’m not sure if you will benefit from the adjustable throttle. This is why I did not suggest it.

I also think some sort of tether or kill switch which another suggested, would might be helpful. If you attach one to him, I would use a short, straight, flexible wire, not the "stretchy" telephone chord type. The purpose is to have the engine stop BEFORE he falls all the way off. Some "stretchy" types can allow one to fall off far enough that the rear wheels can still run the driver over before it unplugs.

TIRE PRESSURE - I might also run the tires at a very low pressure. This is because it will provide a much smoother and therefore safer ride in his particular case. A rough ride can cause him to get jostled around which might lead to him loosing his grip in the bars. He might not go fast enough to get jostled that much now, however, if even if he doesn't, this info might help you in the near future...or maybe it won't.

NERF BARS - This is one of the biggest safety features one can install on an ATV. They substantially reduce the likely hood of the rider getting their foot under either of the rear wheels while the vehicle is moving, thereby, getting sucked off of the vehicle and possibly tearing their ACL to smitherines in the process. This info might help you NOW, or in the near future...or maybe it won't.

Universal mini ATV Nerf Bars.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/step-rails-and-nerf-bars/honda-atv-atc70/c1912d57700j1s21.jcwx

http://img.jcwstatics.com/is/image/Autos/GRP-ratne68004_is?$JCW_MAIN$

Here's a simpler version one can make on their own.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/bye_xbye/atc70_zps3184d5ad.png

My apologies in advance for any misspelt words.

:beer

jb2wheels
05-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Maybe mess with the points/timing?

Seems to me, when mine run crappy and won't rev, the points/timing needs attention.

3 Wheel Drive
05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
You could always attach a small trailer to the 70 and fill it with dirt, this may slow it down some. These posts are helpful and entertaining at the same time. My boys are 1 & 2 someday soon they will be able to ride, mabey the 70cc Molassi Big Bore Kits and DG Pipes are a little much for my boys. When the time comes they will enjoy them! I will start them off riding their Suzuki ALT 50, its a nice slow ride.

jb2wheels
05-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Off topic but - ALTs are slow? I did not know.

I knew nothing about TriZingers until I bought one earlier this year. I though they were slow. NOPE. I'm not sure my kids would start out on a TriZinger. A nice slow 70 is a good place to start.

3 Wheel Drive
05-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing if we raced a yt60 vs. an alt 50 around any block, giving the alt 50 a 1/2 block head start.... The zinger would still win...lol. The Alt50 is a 50cc reed less 2 stroke with the smallest carb I've ever seen. It's still a fun trike to ride around.

With the atc 70 atc's can you swap the cylinder and head out with a 50cc replacement? If you can do this along with a smaller carb it should put around pretty slow.

Frankencelery
05-23-2014, 05:28 PM
The throttle stop should work. I know you said it didn't, but can you lock it down even more? I used this for my niece when she was about 4 or 5, and it worked perfectly. There was a tendency for the trike to build up to speed over time, but that was controlled by telling her she needs to go slow. The key really is direct supervision, I think.

El Camexican
05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
No offense but the mental picture of grandpa gasping to keep up with the little guy when all he wants do do is go fast, is actually pretty funny
Actually when you get to be “mature” it sucks to have to worry about stroking out from having to jog 20 yards, or knowing that what resulted in a bruise last year may mean a bust hip next year. I hate aging, but the older I get the more I like kids, so aside from my smart ass attempts at humour I really hope a solution is found.

Barnett having grandkids is a whole other issue. I’m guessing they all get pocket protectors and slide rules for Christmas and knew how to spell zinc dialkyldithiophosphates by the age of 5. Seriously though, his 10 step program seems to be working and he been behaving fairly well since returning, so I vote we cut him some slack.

tapper190
05-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Never been inside a 70 motor, but I would think that there is some sort of clutch in there. What about putting weaker springs or a old clutch in. More gas you give the more it slips, just an idea...
I personally like the suggestion about changing the sprockets. I get mine custom made from "rebel gears" for the 600.

hublake
05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Never been inside a 70 motor, but I would think that there is some sort of clutch in there. What about putting weaker springs or a old clutch in. More gas you give the more it slips, just an idea...
I personally like the suggestion about changing the sprockets. I get mine custom made from "rebel gears" for the 600.

Dave,

See you Saturday.

I think I am going to get a new 12 tooth front sprocket. I think they came with a 14 tooth front sprocket. I have to get into it and see what is there. Trevor is getting anxious to get on it but wants to go wide open.

tapper190
05-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Dave,

See you Saturday.

I think I am going to get a new 12 tooth front sprocket. I think they came with a 14 tooth front sprocket. I have to get into it and see what is there. Trevor is getting anxious to get on it but wants to go wide open.

sounds good, have a safe drive

Blown 331
05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
My son just turned 2 and has been riding a TRX70 for almost a whole year already. Can you just turn the thottle back even more? My 70 travels at a jog and I run behind with with a teather off the grab bar. I just stick it in first and he doesn't know anything about the shifting.
He also rides a Yamaha PW50 with training wheel. I have a little of the problem you are describing with that one. I have to run as fast as I can behind if he keeps it pinned, but he rarely does that. I've got the throttle turned back about as far as I can while still having enough power to make it up some small hills etc. On that one I just have a strap on the rear bar and if he gets in trouble, which is rare, I pull on the strap at an upward angle which spins out the rear tire.

onformula1
02-12-2015, 01:43 AM
We use what we named a "Chick Stick" Which is a simple piece of PVC pipe or similar pipe (Not metal) on TOP of the slide in the carb the cable goes through the center and when the carb opens it bottoms out.

Because the material is cheap, cut many lengths like- 1/8 / 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 throttle positions.

Test with a adult on the bike for speed.

Since 1977

oscarmayer
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Chain the trike to your car, he can tow you and you can use your brakes to set the speed limit. As an added bonus you'll never be too far behind him and you can use your A/C and listen to the radio.;)

bwaaahahahahahahahaha

=========================================

ok here is my recommendation. the chinese and yamaha drilled a hole in the throttle side housing and put a screw with a nut on it sticking out. the more you screw in the screw the less the throttle can be depressed. the nut locks the screw in place from moving due to vibration.

hope that helps. you could juse order a chinese thumb throttle for a 110cc atv and use that. they come withthe limiter already.
also 70's have a gear set. put it in 1st gear and remove the shifter fastest he can go is about 10-12mph before the motor goes BOOM!

thcowboy
02-12-2015, 11:02 AM
I don't see what was so funny. To bad when you enter a reply to a post you can't use proper grammar. It should be brakes not breaks. its not grammar, that is spelling lol just kidding maybe put some fluid in the tires too

tecaterob
02-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Like someone else said about the washer in the exhaust pipe. It works great. I did it with my son when he was 2.