PDA

View Full Version : How to remove front wheel of Big Red

hondajas
01-08-2004, 01:32 PM
How do you remove the front wheel, brakes and all off of a 1985 Big Red? There are 4 small nuts on the right side fo it, I take them off and then the shaft is loose. But how do I take it all off so that the wheel comes off too? How about that small hole at the end of the front axle where those 4 nuts are? Do I have to turn that?

JasonJ

200xman
01-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Put the nuts and clamp back on loosley to support the axle then unscrew the axle from the fork.

ejc042
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
dont forget to disconnect the brake cable before you try to move the tire and brakes too far.

hondajas
01-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Do you mean to unscrew it from where the 4 nuts are on the shaft itself? I tried that, I had a pipe on the wrench for more leverage and it did't even budge.

ejc042
01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
If you loosen the four nuts then use a socket(17mm i believe) on the end of the axl you should be able to unscrew the axle. If ti does not budge get some rust breaker and let i soak a little while then try again.

hondajas
01-08-2004, 03:36 PM
O.K. now I know exactly how to do it. It was actually what I was doing. I sprayed a lot of liquid wrench spray on it, never budged. I had a breaker bar and a 17mm on it, with a pipe for extension and it still didn't move. Maybe I'll have to heat it a little with a torch. After all those years of mud, water, snow, it's caked on pretty good.

ejc042
01-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Dont forget you can also try vibration therapy. You can tap on the wrench or ratchet some and see if the vibrations will help break it loose.

twkmaster
01-08-2004, 04:26 PM
that front axle is gonna be a booger. easy does it. try, a little at a time, applying heat then spray w/good penetrating agent. repeat as necessary and don't get in a big hurry. u will find that by heating the housing that it reacts like a solder joint and sucks the solvent in. remember you are dealing with a steel axle and aluminum housing; tough combination and famous for seizing up. you will probably have to use 1/2" stuff and possibly cheater pipe or extension. just don't get in a big hurry and don't give up.

good luck; hope this helps.

hondajas
01-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I tries it yesterday, heated a bit, spray, tilt machine so spray penetrates. It's only my parts bike, I just wanna see how it all goes together instead of breaking it on a good Big red. I don't really need to do it, I'll try it this summer when it's warmer. Currently the parts trike is sitting outside under a tarp at -40 Celcius, of Farenheit, so it won't budge.