PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal 3 wheelers -

hawaiirider
05-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Posting this thread do to the increased popularity in trikes on the road lately, seems since that 650l hit ebay everybody wants to ride the street.

Is a atc/ 3wheeled atv legal on the street with street gear?

The dmv in your area will call the official ruling on this, many areas are different, especially rural areas have allowed atv's (3 & 4 wheels) on the street.

As for most of us mainstream area atv riders go, the answer is no, a atv was not designed for road use and has a off road only title, call your dmv to see what the rules in your area are.

Conversions/ motorcycle/ dual purpose bikes to 3 wheel:

Again your local dmv will have the final say in this but as for most 50 states Yes you can convert any motorcycle to a trike like you see with harleys and honda goldwings. You then take the trike to dmv, they inspect it, yes they check for dot tires blinkers, frame etc. they then give you a new title as a trike, you insure your trike as a trike.

Pros:
you will be able to ride your custom trike on the road, youll have to ask dmv if its a 50 state legal trike apon inspection, it may only be legal in your area.
Youll get ALOT of attention!!!!!!!!!!!!! people will point out, yell at you (get that off the road) etc, you may as well be riding naked.

Cons:
Trikes handle ill on pavement, even lowered and stretched they are sketchy with a live axle. Mine does good under 45, over that its nervous even with lots of rake in the steering head.
The tires will squeal around corners no matter how slow you take it, this creates negative attention.
Police will literally turn around on any road when they see your trike from the front, many times they already have the blues and flashers going before they notice your plate.
Make sure you have your registration ready.

Tips:
Ive made lots of things street legal so ive learned alot.
I would go with a dualsport bike, find a atv rear end and have a fabrication shop graph swingarms.

My personal advice is to keep the motorcycle front end, it may look a little akward but they actually handle very well on a trike, on and off road!! Not only that but its obvious it was a motorcycle/dualsport

I kept my yamaha dt250 2 stroke bikes front end stock, didnt get pulled over once, well maybe one time.
My XL 200 looks exactly like a 200x, ive been pulled over enough that im tired of riding it.

All in all its up to your want to ride your trike on pavement, your dmv, your wallet and your willingness to prove its legal to police.

I would advise to buy a streetbike for road, 3 wheeler for offroad, less headaches

people will argue they have had no problems etc etc, well im writing this post to advise and warn others because i have had problems!!

redsox
05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
i'm fairly certain that the rules from state to state differ GREATLY. I will probably never own one, but i think it is really cool and good for the sport in general. the more, the better IMO.

jakep53
05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
are there any Aussies here that have tried to road register a trike in Australia or am I going to be the first one??

hawaiirider
05-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Too bad the usa is so strict on atv's on the street, lots of other countries like europe let your register them no questions asked!!