PDA

View Full Version : Please submit reviews for Riding Boots

ironchop
05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
The last set of riding boots I owned wore out over a decade ago and I never bought another pair. I had been riding wearing steel toe work boots with laceup ankles but laces don't offer the kind of support buckles do. I`ve also broken my ankle a couple times now and would like to get some more specialized support for riding as Im getting old and I don`t heal as fast anymore and missing work for playtime injury is no longer an issue to be taken lightly. So I`m gonna pickup a set before TF and probably a chest protector too. I run gloves, goggles, helmet already but I probably need a chest cover too these days.

1) What boots do you use? Brand/model?

2)Are the sizes correct (you know how one manufacturer`s 12.5 is another man`s 13 and since they come in whole sizes, it needs to be right if you have to order online sight unseen)

3) rank their comfort Stiff? Loose?

4) how long will they last?

5) how long to break them in?

6) what did you pay for them?

Poco Loco
05-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Get an ATV specific boot. It will be easier to shift while sitting down . Ive made the mistake of buying a 2 wheeler mx boot. You cant bend your ankle up to shift while sitting. I had to lift my whole foot up to shift,pain in the ass. Hope this helps

Keith Salyer
05-10-2014, 02:44 PM
I had not had a pair of boots for a couple of years because the leather boots I had finally couldn't take any more riding. I tried the modern MX boot and could not feel the shifter or the back brake so I got rid of them. Just before Midwest rampage I saw a pair of boots at the local bike shop behind the counter. They were made by ICON and they were dual sport boots. Leather construction with straps with holes and pegs not buckles like MX boots. and the cool part is the zipper on the inside of the boot so when you get them adjusted to fit all's you have to do is just slip your foot in and zip them up. They are 15 or so inches tall. I have pictures so I will post them from work on Monday. I got them used at 175 but new they run 250. I don't feel trickers need the protection a MX/SX rider needs because we keep our feet on the pegs( suppose to anyway).

El Camexican
05-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I've never owned ATV specific boots, or a set of high end boots like SIDI, but my current MX boots, FOX, fit great, are easy to walk in, very water resistant and were under $200, but they are hard to shift a trike with. I know guys that prefer them over AXO as well for Enduro riding. If you buy a cheap set (like Moose) you'll be disapointed and you can forget about shifting a trike while seated.

350xorbust
05-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Damn I never thought about the whole shifting thing (gee youd think by now all those details would of been ironed out years ago). I just ordered a set of the FLY boots seen on ebay, but I got them through Royal distributing ( $120.00Canadian), but as usual, there not here yet. I'l chime in once thieve come, and Iv had a chance to ride with em.

manbearpig
05-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Alpinestars Tech 8 MX boot

2)Are the sizes correct?

yes. i wear a 10.5 shoe and the 10.5 boot fits perfect with the right amount of toe room

stiff. the way to the boot folds when you walk will dig into the top of your foot. it will get better as the boots break in. when i first started wearing them i couldnt wait to get them off after a ride. now i can wear them all day

seems like forever. the stock pegs are chewing up the bottom a bit. solid construction, tough buckles.

again, seems like forever. a solid couple months riding a couple times a week

Nothing.

id agree with the difficulty of learning to shift with an MX boot vs. an ATV boot, but it can be overcome. i missed shifts at first and had a little difficulty getting my foot under shifters, but once the shifters were repositioned and i put in seat time with the boots, it was fine. Keiths boots sound like the way to go!

just ben
05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
These are the boots I have and I love them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLY-Racing-Maverick-ATV-Dualsport-Shorty-Boots-Size-12-FREE-SHIPPING-/201005746709?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2ecce04a15&vxp=mtr cheap,easy break in, comfortable. I wear a size 10-10 1/2 depending on the brand and my boots are a 10. I have no issues shifting or braking like I have with mx boots. Mine were 85.00 shipped but that was almost 2 years ago, it looks like they went up a little.

MRSOUND
05-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Liking this thread as I'd like to get something a little more substantial than my steel toed leather trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro stompers. Ben how is the width on the Fly boots? Being flat footed I normally get wide on my boots and shoes. Something that gets too pointy at the toe is usually uncomfortable for me.

honda atc guy
05-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I've been looking at the gaerne sg-12 boot. They have a smaller "toe box" area so it looks like it might be good for shifting. I haven't even tried a pair on and they are very pricey. Maybe someone here has tried them by now.

350xorbust
05-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Sweet, those are the ones i bought...good to hear you like them

jays375
05-11-2014, 07:07 PM
I have a set of Fox Comp 5.They are considered more of a enduro type boot.Which I trail ride a lot with them.No issues shifting in racing conditions.No issues with comfort.My feet are really flat.I can wear them all day without issues.Think they were around $150 from Motosport.com.Check out Rocky Mountain Atv.Been offering better prices lately.

just ben
05-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Liking this thread as I'd like to get something a little more substantial than my steel toed leather trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro stompers. Ben how is the width on the Fly boots? Being flat footed I normally get wide on my boots and shoes. Something that gets too pointy at the toe is usually uncomfortable for me.my foot is somewhere between a wide and a reg size and they fit very well

jb2wheels
05-11-2014, 10:09 PM
I bought a set of black Fox Comp 5 boots just a few weeks ago.

2)Are the sizes correct (you know how one manufacturer`s 12.5 is another man`s 13 and since they come in whole sizes, it needs to be right if you have to order online sight unseen)
I think they run a little small. I normally wear a 13. I was able to try on a bunch of boots. After about 5 minutes in the 13, my feet hurt. I bought 14.

Still new. Nothing to compare to except my Red Wings they replaced. Much stiffer, but that was the idea.
They are comfortable to wear and walk around in when not riding, but too hot to sit around in on a 90+ day.
For reference, I've had a couple of sets of nice Alpinstars road racing boots. Great for riding and racing, not for walking.

Still new.

They seem to be breaking in rather quickly. I only have a few rides in them, but moving and shifting is noticeably easier.

$200 out the door. Bought them on site at Little Sahara Sand Sports in Waynoka/Little Sahara OK. You can probably find them cheaper online but I was there with the $$ and ready to buy boots. I spent an hour trying on boots.

Some side notes.

I tried on a set of shorter Fox boots - Comp 5s maybe?? They fit good and felt good and were cheaper than the Comp 5. Then I decided, when the 350X kicks back on me, I'd sure be pissed I didn't buy the tall boots.

I had to move my shifters up a notch. Shifting in general takes some getting used to.

Before I bought these, I rode in a nice set of Red Wing work boots. However, my footpegs were sawing the soles in half. The soles were expensive so time for "real" boots.

Eric250R
05-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I have said it on here before, there is no comparison to the Thor Quadrant. I have had Fox, Alpine stars, and gaerne. The Thors are atv specific, and fit and feel better than anything else I have worn. I currently have a pair of Fox because they were DIRT cheap, but when I pay good money for boots, the Thor quadrant hands down !

JasonB
05-11-2014, 10:29 PM
i have the Alpinestars Tech 8 MX boots like Paul does. i made the mistake of not forcing myself to wear them and break them in. had them since 2007. they are stiff and just not comfortable because they need to be worn in. i broke my ankle pretty bad 2 weeks ago because i wasn't wearing boots. soooooo from now on i will be riding in boots, these are getting broken in for sure

torker
05-12-2014, 12:52 AM
I have a pair of Thor 50/50 boots. These are short type boots and are as comfortable as sneakers, yet, offer the protection of an off road boot. I wear size 12 and these fit very well on the correct size (12). These are not race boots (although I raced the entire 2011 X-country season with them without any trouble at all !!! ) and handle long days of riding trails like nothing else I've ever used. Very easy to shift and brake. Incredibly friendly to walk on, but, I must say that they dont have the greatest grip when you're on a muddy hill. The price is great to. I think I paid $110 back in 2010. They are now showing they're age, but durable they are.
After 4 years of abuse I think they deserve to be retired. Will I buy another set? without thinking it twice!!!
I am by no means an expert, but, this is my experience with the Thor 50/50 boot (and the Axo Slammer).

193064 Got this pic off the internet so you can see them. I think they're also available in black.

I got a pair of Axo Slammer boots before the Thor's. After using the 3 or 4 times, I ran out and got the Thor's.
Man, hated the damn Slammers... Very, very uncomfortable. Very...

Hope this help a bit.

TORKER.

torker
05-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Her's a good link for info on shorty boots. A bit old, but has some good info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566883

The_Steve_Man
05-12-2014, 07:30 AM
I bought the O'Neil element boots last year. I really like them. For $125 they are holding up very well. Sizes are on and comfortable. After a year no complaints.

tecaterob
05-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I like your Thor 50/50 but I think they don't make them any more.

Kintore
05-12-2014, 10:18 AM
A star tech 3's

Im a 11 and they are a 11, my father also has them and they are spot on 10's

Very stiff to start, now I wear them all day long at the track no complaints.

So far 5 years and counting, bottom is getting chewed up from the pegs

Took about 2 months of on and off riding

190 CAD on sale at Royal

I want to upgrade to the tech 7's, but they are more pricey and I kind of am attached to what I have. No complaints really. Just a solid boot IMO

Keith Salyer
05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Her is a pic of the ICON boot I mentioned earlier in the post.193091

Keith Salyer
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
193092That's better

ironchop
05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
those look old school ^^^^^^^

I like them.....no frills, no bells and whistles, and they don't look like shiny plastic basketball shoes with aerospace engineered strap-ons and Ford Torino hood scoops all over the side of them (like this Fly helmet I have....friggin hood scoops) for "cooling"

zippers are good too.... "quick detach"

thanks for the pics, Keith

350for350
05-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Like Steve-Man, I have a pair of O'Neal elements. I bought them a couple of years ago. They did take quite a while to break in. I did my break in riding on my 97 kx250. I didn't have a problem shifting, I just couldn't feel the brake pedal and usually locked up the rear tire. I walked around in them a lot before, during and after riding. Now they feel fine. No issues. I think I found them on sale for $95. I will say that after several times of my 350x kicking back on me and feeling like something was broken, I'll only ride it with steel shank boots like mx boots. I also like them A LOT for two wheels. For utility riding on three or four, my pair of work boots work fine. I don't do anything real crazy with them anyway.

250rRoostmaster
05-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Can't go wrong with alpinestars Tech 6's or Tech 8's. I personally like the 6's over the 8's. They are more comfortable and have lasted me 4 years. Good for trails or dunes. I don't see a need for the ATV specific boots but that's just me.. I like full boots anyways, why more protection and if it's a good boot it will break in and be comfy as a shoe. A hard shoe lol

onformula1
12-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Here are the best boots out there. They are very light, fit great, Old Schooll, look great with a ATC, period correct, last forever.
They used by called Hi Points.

http://www.alpinestars.com/supervictory-boot#.VJ-BAu4A

Dirtweed
12-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Her's a good link for info on shorty boots. A bit old, but has some good info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566883

I've been thinking about some shorty boots. Just using my old beater Timberland's now. :)